lamoe

Her father's Karaoke system

lamoe

Was there  (Bohol - in province near Sagbayan I think) for his 61 st birthday - did the roasted pig thing at the beach  - not as nice beach as Panglao - but did wind up with bags of clams - mud bottom

There is a festival soon and he was checking out his system - he rents it out - asked how many watts 4,000 - I believe that's the speakers with a 1,000 watt amp - I also helped setting up strobe lights

Told Charity she can go by herself  - I'm deaf enough - she did say only allowed to go until 2 am Fri / Sat

20171125_083416.jpg

20171125_083402.jpg

20171125_083346.jpg

20171125_083330.jpg

20171125_112926[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

shadow
40 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Was there  (Bohol - in province near Sagbayan I think) for his 61 st birthday - did the roasted pig thing at the beach  - not as nice beach as Panglao - but did wind up with bags of clams - mud bottom

There is a festival soon and he was checking out his system - he rents it out - asked how many watts 4,000 - I believe that's the speakers with a 1,000 watt amp - I also helped setting up strobe lights

Told Charity she can go by herself  - I'm deaf enough - she did say only allowed to go until 2 am Fri / Sat

20171125_083416.jpg

20171125_083402.jpg

20171125_083346.jpg

20171125_083330.jpg

20171125_112926[1].jpg

Similar to my system, except mine is "prettier" and does not get rented out (for band use only).

• Like 1

thebob

Looks like 4 W-bins and 4JBL style 15x2's. 4,000 W seems a bit tame for that many boxes.

That's a 12 channel mixer not an amp.

I have a pair of folded horn subs loaded with 18's, 6x15" Eminence style scoops and a pair of 12's, 2x Apex 15x2's, 10" mid tops with wave guides and an 19"x5 horns for the tops. I love building speakers. I blow up tweeters with great regularity.

I run a stereo 3.1 crossover into a motley stack of amps. Best among them are a pair of Behiringer 3000 class D amps.

cables, plugs and sockets cost a fortune. I've got 100M of 4 core speaker cable that cost the same as some of my cabinets.

I only have an old school set of STL spots. Triac driven with 4 lamps on each channel. DMX light heads are expensive.

I've got a pair of 18" Toa drivers I want to bring from Japan, but they weigh 25kg each so they are tricky to check in.

If you don't like loud, some in ear foam defenders take the "crack" out of the sounds.

lamoe
3 hours ago, thebob said:

Looks like 4 W-bins and 4JBL style 15x2's. 4,000 W seems a bit tame for that many boxes.

I have a pair of folded horn subs loaded with 18's, 6x15" Eminence style scoops and a pair of 12's, 2x Apex 15x2's, 10" mid tops with wave guides and an 19"x5 horns for the tops. I love building speakers. I blow up tweeters with great regularity.

I run a stereo 3.1 crossover into a motley stack of amps. Best among them are a pair of Behiringer 3000 class D amps.

cables, plugs and sockets cost a fortune. I've got 100M of 4 core speaker cable that cost the same as some of my cabinets.

I only have an old school set of STL spots. Triac driven with 4 lamps on each channel. DMX light heads are expensive.

I've got a pair of 18" Toa drivers I want to bring from Japan, but they weigh 25kg each so they are tricky to check in.

If you don't like loud, some in ear foam defenders take the "crack" out of the sounds.

I counted 14 boxes and that's as far as my speaker knowledge goes.

Use a foam one in right ear for sleeping - the one that has about 60% - the left is about 10%

Can hear the 120 DB alarm when I test it but not if I'm in the bedroom sleeping. Too high a freq.

Edited by lamoe

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, thebob said:

I would have thought also  4000W would be a little tame for their gear.. I guess the low end speakers are for dance music so it doesn't really matter, not so good for karaoke though.

I run 4, 15"JBL x 350W ( mid range speakers) run from a 5000W amp and a 18" JBL 18" bin run from a separate 1000W amp, mainly used for large areas and outdoor karaoke gigs. I run a 15" Wharefdale (powered fold-back). If I am only doing a small indoor gigs I run two JBL speakers and bin off the 1000W amp . As we all know Filipinos like their music loud, even if is not mixed properly and somewhat distorted.

For my private use and karaoke at home I run four 350W speakers from my 600W Vocopro amp/mixer hooked up to my TV. 

To be perfectly honest the latest Chinese Sonic speakers and amps can match my pricey JBL gear and are only half the price. Not sure if they would last as long though.

• Like 3

A_Simple_Man
46 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I would have thought also  4000W would be a little tame for their gear

May I assume you are talking about the max instantaneous "peak music power output"?  I find that to be a rather useless number designed to market speakers and amps to teenagers.  I wonder what power it really draws if he puts a Kill-a-Watt meter or similar device on it?

Semper paratus

Noise is one of the biggest causes of high blood pressure, and of course hearing loss. 

• Like 1

Jack Rat
2 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

May I assume you are talking about the max instantaneous "peak music power output"?  I find that to be a rather useless number designed to market speakers and amps to teenagers.  I wonder what power it really draws if he puts a Kill-a-Watt meter or similar device on it?

Of course I agree, but when you get down to the technicalities of sound, including gear, the majority of the public don't understand and don't really care. I have been mucking around within the music industry now for more than 40 years and over the years have seen huge leaps and bounds, particularly with gear quality and sound,  and I am still learning something every day. I have never had much faith in a person ( know it all Harry's) who call themselves an expert on the subject, but I guess that goes for everything.. As far as the general public goes, it's still,  'keep it simple stupid'! If it sounds good I'll buy it!

• Like 2

Don.

Judging by all the distorted and lousy sound systems I heard in the Phils I wonder if most Pinoys can even recognize a quality sound system.

For me, the distorted noise was often even worse than the volume of the noise.

• Like 4

lamoe
33 minutes ago, Don. said:

Judging by all the distorted and lousy sound systems I heard in the Phils I wonder if most Pinoys can even recognize a quality sound system.

For me, the distorted noise was often even worse than the volume of the noise.

Quantity over quality

I have had my balcony door rattle (19 th floor) from one over 1/2 Km away

• Haha 1

thebob
On 11/27/2017 at 8:27 PM, lamoe said:

Quantity over quality

Every sound system has a prime listening spot. Everywhere else isn't going to be optimum.

MP3 ruined audio fidelity. People got used to bad quality and now put up with compressed mush.

• Like 4

Captainmike
On 11/27/2017 at 3:18 PM, A_Simple_Man said:

You have to rate an amp RMS (Root mean square) watts per channel at a specific THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) at a give Ohm load....  i.e. 120 watts per channel RMS at 0.02 THD into 4 Ohms...

• Thanks 1

shadow
4 hours ago, Captainmike said:

You have to rate an amp RMS (Root mean square) watts per channel at a specific THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) at a give Ohm load....  i.e. 120 watts per channel RMS at 0.02 THD into 4 Ohms...

Thank you. Amps/watts means absolutely nothing without the rest of the equation!

lamoe

Put it  this way - too damn loud and blew some bottles off a table away from of the speakers.

thebob
On 11/29/2017 at 12:01 PM, Captainmike said:

Even then you only have a measure of input. You need to account for the efficiency of the speakers in db/W measured at 1 meter to gauge output.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:05 PM, shadow said:

Thank you. Amps/watts means absolutely nothing without the rest of the equation!

Exactly. Watts these days aren't what they used to be.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:17 PM, lamoe said:

Put it  this way - too damn loud and blew some bottles off a table away from of the speakers.

If the bottles weighed 1Lb and they were moved 8.9 inches in a second... That's only 1 Watt!

If it's too loud, then you're too old!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1