• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Lee

Dictatorship, would you stay or would you go?

Lee

The other day I read this article Duterte threatens to set up revolutionary government and today I read this article Half of Filipinos favor autocratic rule, Pew poll says, so it seems the president of the Philippines is heading in that or a similar direction and half the people would be okay with it, so what is your take on if things go in that direction?

• Like 1

Salty Dog

But the poll also said;

Despite these tendencies, Filipinos polled are still found to be supportive of representative democracy, with 82 percent of those surveyed saying that such a government system is good while only 16 percent said it is bad.

Can't have it both ways...

Edited by Salty Dog (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

cebubird

But they would probably be better off under dictator.

broden

if i get to be the dictator i would stay

• Haha 3

Salty Dog
12 hours ago, broden said:

if i get to be the dictator i would stay

oJvqm0z.png

Dick-tater.jpg

• Haha 2

Lee
4 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

oJvqm0z.png

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone posted one of those,  :wink: but the problem for us may be a real dictator, I wonder how we will be treated since Du30 often voices his disdain for Americans and recently told European diplomats to get out of the Philippines. 

http://www.manilanews.net/news/255013426/philippine-president-duterte-threatens-eu-diplomats

• Like 2

rep1

stay. will just be Chinese then.

InternetTough

Before Duterte, the Philippine justice system was no great shakes. After, I did not see any improvement. Anyhow, for various reasons, one of which was Duterte, I left the Philippines more than a year ago.
One thing that really bothered me was the mindless Filipino support of Duterte's killings. I asked a Filipina college graduate who was a teacher about them and she said, "They must have done something wrong." Well, everybody has done something wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Chris24

I'm told that things were orderly under Marcos.  Not saying a dictatorship is a good thing, but historically the country was probably safer for foreigners then than it is now.   Plus he is 73 years old. If it happens, a sound approach might be to stay flexible, while not buying property or having substantial assets in country, and then wait and see. 

InternetTough

I read that under Marcos, since he was so desperate to maintain American support, if a Filipino was arrested for having done violence to an American, the Filipino would often get roughed up or worse on the way to the police station. Duterte seems more eager to maintain good relations with China than the USA.

Headshot
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, InternetTough said:

for various reasons, one of which was Duterte, I left the Philippines more than a year ago

You obviously made the right choice for YOU. Nobody should live in a place where they don't feel comfortable. Personally, I think you are wrong in your assessment because I have seen dramatic change on a local level since Duterte took over, and it has been positive change. Then again, my experience is NOT you experience, and your experience is not my experience. We should always remember that what people see as reality is usually based on their perception. Anyway, don't they have an online forum for living wherever it is you are living now?

Edited by Headshot (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A_Simple_Man
49 minutes ago, Headshot said:

We should always remember that what people see as reality is usually based on their perception.

Unless the dictator says: Cancel all tourist visits to Boracay.  No planes, No hotels.  No swimming. Etc

For the people who had plans to go to Boracay, or for the people who live there, of for people who are just curious about what is going on:  Reality is just . . . .  . Reality.

Headshot
18 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Unless the dictator says: Cancel all tourist visits to Boracay.  No planes, No hotels.  No swimming. Etc

For the people who had plans to go to Boracay, or for the people who live there, of for people who are just curious about what is going on:  Reality is just Reality.

Not really. Those are just the actions of a duly elected president doing his job as he sees it. Just about every national leader in the world has the authority to issue executive orders.

Or are you saying Duterte is already a dictator? Because I haven't heard about that shift in roles...

smokey

For me i would just shift 9 months us 3 months here instead of the reverse i do take notice that this change has given us from 42 to dollar to 52 dollar a huge raise

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man
38 minutes ago, Headshot said:

are you saying Duterte is already a dictator?

I suppose I am saying

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

what people see as reality is usually based on their perception

I perceive a "president" who does what he wants, regardless of any opposition.   So my perception/reality is "almost a dictator"

• Like 1