JamesMusslewhite

Have Questions about US Passport Renewal

Dafey

So...I'm looking at renewing my US passport. Currently living in Leyte. 

Cebu sounds like a good option. Where is the Waterfront? And, is it walk in or do you need an appointment?

Any option in Tacloban or Ormoc?

Woolf
miles-high
On ‎2017‎年‎6‎月‎28‎日 at 10:59 PM, Headshot said:

Is there a Philippine Consulate on Guam?

Yes. From GUM airport to the Consulate about 10 minutes drive. To Home Depot, 5 minutes. To AFB, about 30 minutes. 

11.PNG

Headshot
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

Cebu sounds like a good option. Where is the Waterfront? And, is it walk in or do you need an appointment?

Good luck with that. The consular offices in Cebu are basically closed down, with the possible exception of maybe a week a month. Watch the forum for the next time they will be open, and then you need to figure out how to make an appointment with them (since passport renewals are only done by appointment now).

Either that, or you can just just their online appointment system for the US Embassy in Manila, and go through the process there. There may be an online process through the State Department, but I'm not sure how they would verify that you are you doing that.

Jawny
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

Any option in Tacloban or Ormoc?

You can do a renewal at the Cebu consulate, but they have limited hours.  The process requires a consular officer and they don’t have as regular hours as in the past.  So, call ahead.  First come, first served.

You can get the online forms and bring them in along with cash for payment.

There is no embassy staff in Tacloban or Ormoc.

MarinePride

I renewed mine at the Waterfront Hotel in September, along with the wifes. I checked on the dept. of state website for relevant operating hours. They are only open one week, Monday through Friday, in any  given month  We didn't need an appointment.  We walked in, with the proper paperwork, pictures and pesos for payment. Both passports were received in less than a month via Air21 courier to the house. Unless there have been changes since then, it was relatively painless.  Have lunch at the Port Restaurant when you're done.

SkyMan
17 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

We walked in, with the proper paperwork, pictures and pesos for payment. 

Do you know if they still take credit card for payment?

MarinePride

I did not try to use a credit card, so I do not know.  Cash is king in the Philippines.

SkyMan
4 hours ago, MarinePride said:

Cash is king in the Philippines.

Not if you can use a credit card, especially for a dollar purchase.

I did not try to use a credit card, so I do not know.

Ok, just thought maybe you'd noticed if someone else did.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Dafey

So I called the number listed on the US Consular for Cebu and they said Passport renewal Monday Wednesday and Thursday from 13:00-15:00. Took the ferry to Cebu early Monday morning and showed up just before noon. The door said closed but I approached anyway, (much to the disapproval of asawa). The guard came out and said "sorry sair, closed today". He then asked what I needed and I told him PP renewal. He said I could come back the next morning at 8.

Fortunately we were planning on spending the night and went back the next day. Arrived at exactly 08:00 and cleared security and was given number 10. We waited about 20 minutes until they called my number. Gave them a form that was already filled out, my 2 photos and Passport and they gave me a small form to fill out with address and directions for the courier. next time they called me they asked for $110 US or 5720 PHP, (cheaper to pay in US dollrs but had none). (forgot to ask if they took CCs)

After a bit they called me again to give me a receipt and my old PP that had holes punched through the numbers on the opening page. I don't know if this would be good for traveling abroad now but they said 6 weeks and the courier would deliver the new PP to our house. They said it would be 180 pesos fee, paid to the courier. Fortunately we are not planning any trips until after the new PP arrives.

Before leaving I mentioned the recording that gave the wrong info and the 2 girls working nodded and smiled...so don't look at updated info soon. The entire process took 1 hour and 45 minutes. If we had arrived earlier we probably would have had a lower number and taken less time.

I did ask operating hours and they said Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 08:00-12:00. I assume if we had arrived at 07:30 we would have cleared security and been given a lower number and allowed to sit in the waiting room until the window opened. The waiting room was quite large and comfortable. Men's and ladies CRs and a big screen TV that was actually playing a funny Candid Camera type show that was entertaining and helped pass the time. The staff was pleasant and eager to answer all and any questions...(there were some doozies from the Canos that were there). Also, as posted earlier by a Forum member, you must leave your phone at the front security entrance so write down your contact # if needed.

Here are photos of the signs outside the Consular door...

IMG_4999.thumb.JPG.bc717e3b720bafd16a00a3e84d1d0a34.JPGIMG_5001.thumb.JPG.f30a17853daf7fd9a73547d9f505c649.JPG

On a side note...the information provided by this forum saved me lots of time and money. It was amazing the people there who had done no research and had no clue as to how/what/why things need to be done.

Thanks LInC

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Paul
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

I don't know if this would be good for traveling abroad now

Nope. Once holes are punched in your passport, it is null and void. 

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I am sure that somewhere , somehow , someone is carefully filling in holes in passports !! 

RogerDat

Once they scan that old number, you might need a GOOD lawyer!

AlwaysRt
6 hours ago, Paul said:

However any Visas that are not expired are still good when presented along with your new passport. For example your current visa stamp, a 10 year China Visa...

• Like 1

Dafey

Air 21 just delivered my Passport!!! So that's like 36 days from when I applied. It cost 120 pesos. Gave them 150 and told the 2 guys to get a bananaque for a snack.

On the downside, I checked the box for a passport and a passport card. The card was not in the package. Not a big deal but nice to carry the card instead of the Passport for day to day stuff. I'll talk to the Consular next time in Cebu.

• Like 1