JamesMusslewhite

Have Questions about US Passport Renewal

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

But then you'd still have to travel or start renewing again after a year.  Why not do the trip to Guam and get a 13A?  Or do you plan on lots of travel which might make the 13A more expensive?

At the time my wife and I would use it as a time and excuse to take short trips together like Hong Kong, Macau, Okinawa etc. But then we were dealing with this Harry Doyle murder trial, farm business and lobster huts; and now for the last year this lobster hatchery. 

I have always been a small businessman primarily startups. I make $900 a month and trying to finalize the title run a small 12 acre coconut farm, build and establish two small lobster huts and now oversee the construction of a small lobster hatchery. I have to maintain a business plan, stay within a budget and stay on tract. I have long learned that you can easily spend a dollar trying to save a dime. Immigration costs $40 dollars a month. A trip to Manila for both my wife and I can easily cost over $600. That is 10 months of Visa. Do that twice and that is 20 months of Visa. Then you have the expense needed to complete the 13a process. So do I spend that $600 on lobster stock which can yield a 300% profit? Do I save the $1,200 which would start the 13a to save $40 a month or build a new boat, new grow pad on the farm, help pay to finalize the title to the land or pay workers? I take a long-term view myself.

Sometimes one has to raise above the trees to see the forest, and then raise above the forest to see the other forests. For me the $40 dollars a month is just the cost of doing business. In the larger picture I am merely investing the $40 dollars into rent or lease which allows me to invest in advance accumulative 'blocks of $40' into short-term and long-term investments and projects which will easily help me recover that monthly $40 investment and still have sizable returns.Short-term expenditures over potential long-term gains. To me it is a no-brainier. The option to take the short-term expenditure will in the future hinder long-term potential gains .

There will soon come the time in the near future when I am ready to send the time and funds needed to get the 13a because there is a time when I have to step forward and form my company which will require me to have to be legally able to work in the Philippines, avail the Philippine legal system and file both US and Philippine tax forms. Not merely to save $40 an month.

I hope that explains my reasoning to forum readers. My situation simply may not apply to those of other readers.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

angbumabasa

God am I thankful that I followed the advice of the Consul in Chicago  and got my 13a there. Much less of a pain in the butt.

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Every 2 months ???

No I just conciser it figuratively a the monthly as it is a two-month extensions which average about 2,200- 32,000 each extension and that cost fluctuates depending on their slide scale of payment it varies. Then one has to equate traveling expenses. $40 make for good round number to equate.as a monthly expense.Where I am there is the 2-way boat passage, two-way tribike fees and of course meals and productivity down-time. I merely sum it up and divide it in half for each month of that two-month extension. Sorry for the confusion. :biggrin_01:

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Woolf

A regular 2 month extension was 2930 php 

now when you do not pay express lane fee it is 1930 php

all extensions after the 6 month extension is now 1930

except if your ACR-I is expired then add 50$ once a year

Where do you get 42000 from ????   aaah   you mean 4200??

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
29 minutes ago, angbumabasa said:

God am I thankful that I followed the advice of the Consul in Chicago  and got my 13a there. Much less of a pain in the butt.

When we first moved here in 2008 I wish we had as well and checked into applying there. My wife had already been in the US for over 22 year and when she first arrived there was a Philippine Embassy in Houston, but they had closed down and all records were relocated to California. Plus she needed documents to be authenticated by NSO. The LA Embassy actually told us it would be best since we were already planing to move to the Philippines, that it would probably be better to just do it in the Philippines. The main issue was my wife had only a baptismal document rather than a birth certificate.  

JamesMusslewhite
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

all extensions after the 6 month extension is now 1930

except if your ACR-I is expired then add 50$ once a year

Where do you get 42000 from ????   aaah   you mean 4200??

sorry I typo-ed and did not catch the mistake I had meant 2,200-3,200. as the rate changes from extension to extension and I am merely generalizing.:biggrin_01:. . 

• Like 1

SkyMan
22 minutes ago, Woolf said:

p1930 is about $40.

1 hour ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

At the time my wife and I would use it as a time and excuse to take short trips together like Hong Kong, Macau, Okinawa etc. But then we were dealing with this Harry Doyle murder trial, farm business an....

TMI James.  I just mentioned it because you brought up perhaps going to Guam.  You can get the background check by mail, go to Guam, do the 13A and be done (with a little BS in Cebu when you get back.)  Not sure why you think you'd need to go to Manila.  I didn't and I made the mistake of doing it here.  But if it's not right for you now, that's up to you.

• Like 1

Woolf
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

p1930 is about $40.

Yes 

but it is for 2 months, not 1 as james wrote

all extensions after the 6 month extension are now 1930 php

then there is the renew of ACR-I, that is now 50 $ (no express lane fee anymore)

over  3 years the average will not be much above 2000 php every 2 months

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

Yes 

but it is for 2 months, not 1 as james wrote

all extensions after the 6 month extension are now 1930 php

then there is the renew of ACR-I, that is now 50 $ (no express lane fee anymore)

over  3 years the average will not be much above 2000 php every 2 months

Yah I use to get tagged with those old express fees as my renewal date falls on the 5th of the month and I get paid on the 2nd of the month so most time I was within 2 days before the Visa expiration date.There were many claimed our former head of our BI was corrupt. All I know if that he took a whole page of my passport logging all the fees.That all changed with the new regime change and it is much better and cheaper now. The old Chief is rumored as having been retired.   .

And yes I probably confused folks by merely adding all the expenses which are inclusive. Monies spent for two-way ferry travel from the island to the city, two-way tribike travel to the BI office. lunches and 3/4 of a day lost productivity. Morning ferry leaves at 6:30am and returns 2pm which would coat around $40. So $40 + $40 = $80. So that 2-month extension cost $80 dollars. But the way my twisted mind sees it is one month was free and that second cost me $80, rather I equate that that $80 is divided into each month costing $40. I know odd but true. The trips are quicker from the little island where we are now but actually cost more.  

. We do tend to try to get some quick grocery shopping in and pay bills or pickup materials to help utilize the monies spent. But that is because I am an anal retentive Kuripot bastard  :biggrin_01:

JamesMusslewhite

This is off the BI website

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

Extension of Authorized stay Beyond 59 days - 2-month extensions

JamesMusslewhite
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

p1930 is about $40.

TMI James.  I just mentioned it because you brought up perhaps going to Guam.  You can get the background check by mail, go to Guam, do the 13A and be done (with a little BS in Cebu when you get back.)  Not sure why you think you'd need to go to Manila.  I didn't and I made the mistake of doing it here.  But if it's not right for you now, that's up to you.

If it came between having to go through either Cebu or Manila I would pick Davao. Nicer bunch of folks, good shopping, cheap accommodations and excellent variety of food joints all within a close safer walking distance. Short flight but I like the 12 hour air-con buses because of the view and on-board movies.

Manila was to get the FBI background check, and the ability to then kill tow birds with one stone go to the main Manila BI office to insure all the proper forms and verify all our documents were sufficient. We had gone there before for my wife to repatriate and our son to apply for his duel-citizenship. That whole process only took about 3-1/2 hours from the time we walked in with and started the paperwork to the final swear-in. Once we knew all our ducks were in a row we would just go to Davao.

But I had never thought about going to Guam to apply for the 13a. I was just thinking we could do the round-trip BB Visa run and the shop till we drop and pig till we burst... Now My wife did talk about perhaps checking into buying a house on Guam. I was told that my VA housing loan, which I have never used, could be used in Guam; but I have never seriously checked into that as being true or not. If this lobster hatchery proves to be successful then it would not take long to save the funds and show the income to apply for the VA loan. I was told awhile back that the first time you use it it is rather easy. I certainly would not be looking for a big house as we would not be living there full-time, maybe a few month a year. The rest of the time we would be here in the Surigao area or back in Austin or Houston. That just depends on the needs of the business we are building here.

Thanks for that bit of information as it certainly allows another option. I am a 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of guy. Gives another reason to choose Guam over KL, Hong Kong or Macau. :dance:

Headshot

Is there a Philippine Consulate on Guam?

Paul
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

Is there a Philippine Consulate on Guam?

I just did a quick search and came up with one in Agana, wherever that is, on the island.

SkyMan
8 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

But I had never thought about going to Guam to apply for the 13a.

If you do the 13A in the RP you'll have to do it again a year later.  If you do it outside, you have to do a couple nitnoid things on arrival and then you're done.Costs half as much and far less hassle.  

As for the VA loan you'll want to check all the options.I used VA for the first 2 houses I bought.  That was in the 80s.  Then after that it never seemed to be much if any benefit over a conventional loan.  The one benefit might be a little more forgiving debt/income ratio.

• Like 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Paul said:

I just did a quick search and came up with one in Agana, wherever that is, on the island.

It's directly between the airport and the AFB and I would assume the AFB would be a destination for James.  Pretty much have to drive past the Consulate to get there.

• Like 2