• Commercial Banner Advertisers

JamesMusslewhite

Have Questions about US Passport Renewal

SkyMan

I'm not sure how you can overstay for renewing your passport. Extend then renew, passport back in plenty of time.  It's not like you don't see it coming.  

Paul
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I'm not sure how you can overstay for renewing your passport. Extend then renew, passport back in plenty of time.  It's not like you don't see it coming.  

Simple. You cannot renew your visa if your passport is valid for six months, or less - typically, anyway. So, you can end up being an overstaying alien, while your passport application is being processed. The Immigration office of any country you are in, will just look at it as though you had plenty of time to renew your passport, prior to your visa needing to be renewed. 

A_Simple_Man
6 minutes ago, Paul said:

you had plenty of time to renew your passport, prior to your visa needing to be renewed. 

Not sure about US but when I renewed in Canada I renewed when there was still a year of validity on the old passport.  No questions asked.  Reason was I knew I was coming back here and the old passport would have expired while out of country.  So renew early and avoid hassles.

• Like 1

Paul
1 minute ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Not sure about US but when I renewed in Canada I renewed when there was still a year of validity on the old passport.  No questions asked.  Reason was I knew I was coming back here and the old passport would have expired while out of country.  So renew early and avoid hassles.

I should've done the same thing, when I was in the US. Would have saved me money, time, and an unnecessary trip to Phnom Penh.

Davaoeno
4 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I renewed in Vancouver last year. The old passport had 14 months on it. I had to give them a letter telling them why and produce my plane ticket out of Canada to verify my story

RogerDat

Is James on a tourist visa?

Woolf
2 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Is James on a tourist visa?

YES

• Like 1

Woolf
43 minutes ago, Paul said:

Simple. You cannot renew your visa if your passport is valid for six months, or less - typically, anyway. So, you can end up being an overstaying alien, while your passport application is being processed. The Immigration office of any country you are in, will just look at it as though you had plenty of time to renew your passport, prior to your visa needing to be renewed. 

Looks like that changed in 2015, maybe?

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req

10. Who are exempt from the “six-month passport validity” rule?

1. Philippine passport holders;
  2. Former Filipinos and their dependents (immediate family members);
  3. Permanent residents and holders of other special visa categories requiring temporary residents (with valid ACR I-Cards);
  4. Passports of recognized foreign-government officials;
  5. Visa under CA 613, Sec. 9, except Sec.  9(a), and 47(a)(2)  where visa validity extends beyond passport expiration date, provided, an embassy or consulate is maintained in the Philippines;
  6. Those admitted by the Commissioner on humanitarian grounds; and
  7. Pursuant to Operations Order No. SBM-2015-026, nationals of the following countries may be admitted into the Philippines with passports of less than six (6) months validity from date of arrival:

a list of countries followed

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
1 minute ago, Woolf said:

YES

Wolf your correct.I was originally Baiikbayan.status, but four years ago I was asked by the Maldives Speaker of Parliament to consult on the feasibility of a potential location for a commercial floriculture facility and survey three lagoons to determine if they were good locations for a large aquaculture project to raise grouper and lobster. I was also contracted to design a large floating net 'grow-out' platform. I had meant to meet up with the wife in KL on the return flight so we could re-enter together and get BB stamped again. I was asked to stay an additional week which would overlap our son's High School graduation. So we decided the wife stays to be with the son and I returned solo which meant a Tourist stamp. Seems were are just too busy for us both to just drop everything and take the round-trip together to get BB stamped. Plus my wife's US passport had expired a couple of years back. We now have both passports renewed and plan on traveling to either KL or Guam later this year together and will just BB stamp when we return.       .

SkyMan
36 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Wolf your correct.I was originally Baiikbayan.status, but four years ago I was asked by the Maldives Speaker of Parliament to consult on the feasibility of a potential location for a commercial floriculture facility and survey three lagoons to determine if they were good locations for a large aquaculture project to raise grouper and lobster. I was also contracted to design a large floating net 'grow-out' platform. I had meant to meet up with the wife in KL on the return flight so we could re-enter together and get BB stamped again. I was asked to stay an additional week which would overlap our son's High School graduation. So we decided the wife stays to be with the son and I returned solo which meant a Tourist stamp. Seems were are just too busy for us both to just drop everything and take the round-trip together to get BB stamped. Plus my wife's US passport had expired a couple of years back. We now have both passports renewed and plan on traveling to either KL or Guam later this year together and will just BB stamp when we return.       .

But then you'd still have to travel or start renewing again after a year.  Why not do the trip to Guam and get a 13A?  Or do you plan on lots of travel which might make the 13A more expensive?

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
19 hours ago, RogerDat said:

James, are you saying that they charged you as an overstay because new passport was not yet stamped?( Of course I was also 6 weeks 'over-stay' status as my new passport was being processed. Others may encounter this issue a passport renewal. )

Yes, When I had made my last two-month Visa renewal I still had an additional 18 days left on my passport. The BI officer informed me that they could not give a Visa extension on just 18 days -(whole months only). By the time I was able to travel up to Cebu and apply for the the new passports and they processed and were delivered I was overstay, but the local BI had already been advised that this would be so. When the new passports arrived I went to BI and paid the two month overstay and new two-month extension. If I remember correctly I believe it was 8,250php total. For my wife it was never a problem for her as she is a duel-citizen and would only have had problem with the expired passport if she was exiting the Philippines.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Paul said:

The Immigration office of any country you are in, will just look at it as though you had plenty of time to renew your passport, prior to your visa needing to be renewed. 

That's the way I look at it too.  If you can't extend with less than 6 months left then your expiration date is essentially 6 months before what it says in the passport.  If you're getting close to 6 months, extend, renew, walay problema.  Of course, since this thread is about US passport renewal, I'm assuming the current US pp renewal time well under 2 months.  If your country takes substantially longer to process I can understand overstaying.

Did I also see that now when renewing at the Cebu Consul they let you keep your old pp during the process?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

But then you'd still have to travel or start renewing again after a year.  Why not do the trip to Guam and get a 13A?  Or do you plan on lots of travel which might make the 13A more expensive?

I went to apply of a 13a a few years ago in Davao but they had just revised their policies but not yet updated that info on their Gov. Website. The requested financial info, but excluded US sources of Income. My wife and I do not have a Philippine bank account. And they needed an official background check. At that time you could not have it done in the US Embassy in Manila as they had had not yet established protocols for these new BI regulations.

My wife had also been out of the Philippines for well over 20 years and needed to get all her documents authenticated. She now has that completed and I believe that a background check can now be requested and processed through the US Embassy in Manila so I will probably try to apply for the 13a. It has really not caused and significant being on the tourist visa.Yes they stick you for $40 a month in Visa renewals, but all the travel expenses, hotel fees needed to do all the paperwork and the the 13a application process would have cost the same. Then there is always a chance I may choose to travel out of country to do consulting work. Over the last three years I have been approached several times to consult in the Middle East but I turned them down. But if the right offer had arisen I would have left. Now with this lobster hatchery project I am simply too obligated. So it is a good time to reapply, when I have the time and resources.    

Woolf
3 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Yes they stick you for $40 a month in Visa renewals

Every 2 months ???

Paul
9 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I went to apply of a 13a a few years ago in Davao but they had just revised their policies but not yet updated that info on their Gov. Website.

Be thankful. They used to require a stool sample, back when I was filling out the paperwork to apply for a 13(a) visa. :D

• Haha 1