• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Thalcoozyo

Aussies - your opinions are needed

58 posts in this topic

That equivalates to $32:80 / day .... medicine , doctors , food , clothes , transport , electricity , water , gas ,phone , internet , etc etc....

I already listed my itemized expenses.  What expenses do you have trouble believing?  I buy whatever I want.  I just don't want much and always love a bargain. It's not difficult at all for us to live on $12k a year.

My late mother used to say the pension is too much cos it keeps piling up in her bank account and she has to find something to spend it on or it will get to a stage where it will be reduced.  Living comfortably in Australia is cheap.  EXCEPT for accommodation which is insanely expensive.

Well the way things are going there won't be too many 457 Visas approved or offered.....

On 20 May 2015, the Federal Court of Australia handed down the largest ever court imposed fine for breaches of the Subclass 457 business sponsorship program to Choong Enterprises. An operator of restaurants and cafes in Darwin, the company acted as a sponsor for 10 employees from the Philippines, who travelled to Australia on 457 visas.

A 457 business sponsor's primary obligation is to ensure that the sponsored employees are employed the same on terms and conditions to those of an Australian employee for an equivalent role in the same position.

Not only was Choong Enterprises not paying entitlements such as loadings, sick leave and superannuation contributions, it was also paying below the award minimum at approximately $12 per hour. In addition to award minimums, the Migration Regulations also provides a minimum salary threshold of $53,900 per annum. In this case, the salaries being paid by Choong Enterprises to their 457 visa holders ($45,220 per annum) was below the minimum salary threshold. Thanks to these underpayments Choong Enterprises had to pay between $6,000 - $20,000 to each of the seven underpaid employees, as well as penalty payments to the Commonwealth, ranging from $450 - $7,000 per employee.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/foreign-workers-get-less-time-to-job-hunt-under-457-visa-changes/news-story/343169098bea70d57e4eb48c6a4b9e61

Sorry original link won't open..

Edited by ozboy
2 people like this

Well, there's certainly been some good input here, or at least as far as I'm concerned.  To bring you all up to date, the Manila agency is dragging their feet, and have 100 different reasons that they can't move forward with placement.  That's ok, don't everyone get on your high horse and tell me "I told you so."  My bro in law knows all about agencies and the hazards associated therewith.

In the meantime, the Lord works in mysterious ways.  A happenstance meeting between my sister in law in Tagaytay, and a resort owner in Batangas, resulted in the owner asking for the bro in law's resume. That was nearly a month ago. Suddenly, the phone starts ringing and the resort owner says his chef just quit and he needs good help, someone who can soon come in and take over. So, the bro in law is currently 2nd in charge at a nice resort in Batangas, Japanese owner/manager, is provided with free lodging, free meals, and is paid 18,000 php monthly regardless of occupancy rate. When they're full (20 guest rooms or so) the kitchen runs non-stop; when they're not occupied (last week was 4 guests) then the kitchen gets to catch their breath and relax.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the Aussies (and wannabe Aussies) who contributed, and let you know how it turned out. My bro in law is happy at the time being, seems to think this may well turn into a more permanent situation (raises were already discussed), and... drum roll, please... the bro in law gets to travel home to see the wife and 3 kids when he has a  day off, as he simply has to travel from Batangas to Olongapo and about an hour horth (San Antonio).  He sure as heck wasn't able to do that in Saudi!

We are all keeping fingers crossed and hope that this turns into something really good. 

9 people like this

We are all keeping fingers crossed and hope that this turns into something really good. 

Now that was a really good post Thalcoozyo ...and thanks for the update and I am sure a few more of us are keeping are fingers crossed for your bro in law now as well....

4 people like this

i grew up poor & will do all i can to make sure my kids don't have to live like that

Oddly enough, there's an above average amount of very happy, successful (and rich) people who grew up dirt poor.

KonC

5 people like this

Having been in both situations many times I've come to realize that it's far harder to find good staff than it is to find a good job.

KonC

3 people like this

Having been in both situations many times I've come to realize that it's far harder to find good staff than it is to find a good job.

KonC

True words that anyone that has owned their own business will attest to....

a free trip to Oz with low wages might not be a bad idea, he gets to make contacts, gets experience and it could be a stepping stone to something much bigger. But yeah the place sounds like a scam (just from reading the first post). If he read the fine print then it could be worth a chance just to get into the industry in OZ as long as he is not tied down to a strict contract.