Thalcoozyo

Aussies - your opinions are needed

58 posts in this topic

Minimum wage in Australia is currently $17.70 per hour for a FULL TIME employe, PART TIME employee gets +25% taking it upto $22.12, that is based on a 38hr week, any hours worked over that are "penalty" rate which starts at 1.5x for first 2 hours & 2x beyond that.

I think times have changed, Part time employment is the same hourly rate as fulltime. Part timers also get sick leave and holiday pay, Overtime rates are also not what they use to be, Saterdays are 1.25x hourly and sundays are 1.75x hourly and then you have to check the EBA the company, agency, hotel has with the govt/unions on work conditions allowances etc. My wife works for a large hotel chain, @ $18/hr and works 5 hr shifts, 5days/week and she is happy with that. 

You dont need much to live on as long as your accommodation is sorted out.

lets track back a bit, 

never worked outside of the philippines and he has a chance to go oversea,

if he gets a working visa trough this agency, who gives a ... what he makes, this is his chance to get to the ''next level'' to leave the Philippines and make money.

but before that, 

how old is he? if he is young then go for it!!

a 'decent chef'' thats your view.. experience and know how to use that is a whole other story.

the agency has a job, but cannot provide a city/what kind of job, could be mining or a very good 5 star hotel?

For a chef this makes a huge difference,

Imagine, you say he is a ''decent'' chef, if he works in a 5 star hotel and get's a job in mining, (cooking massive buffets for 100 very hungry ozzy male's) he might not like this. 

It is not of the highest importance how he will survive, most likely it will be possible because if there is a agency involved and they go the official route, (SO HE HAS A WORKING VISA) when he goes there, you can be fairly surely expect that most laws will be followed. (Australia is pretty organized in that way)

​also, likely he will not be the only philipino, so he might rely on the ''Philippine network'' that is everywhere in the world. this would help him in finding housing, etc etc

He should continue the process, and once things get more clear, a few google searches could give the salary for the position he is offered.

And if in the end it looks pretty dodgy he can always not go (even a day before he suppose to fly)

very likely this will be a low level job, as most sous chefs and up will be western educated,  and low level chefs do make really crap money.. 

when i was younger i took several times a chance, i moved country's with just a suitcase,

not knowing where i would live, if i could survive etc, but it worked all out very well in the end (it took a lot of determination)

Edited by toshi
SumDumJoe likes this

Id expect that a 'Chef' would attract more than minimum wage.

Share accomodation can be found quite cheap ( we currently have a boarder paying $200 per week inc bills for a master bedroom with ensuite in the suburbs ) - please dont dob me in to the ATO!!

You could easily be fed for under $100 p/w ( home cooked / prepared meals ), although, you can also find some decent eats out for a good price.

Could be worth his while..

Thalcoozyo likes this

I think times have changed, Part time employment is the same hourly rate as fulltime. Part timers also get sick leave and holiday pay, Overtime rates are also not what they use to be, Saterdays are 1.25x hourly and sundays are 1.75x hourly and then you have to check the EBA the company, agency, hotel has with the govt/unions on work conditions allowances etc. My wife works for a large hotel chain, @ $18/hr and works 5 hr shifts, 5days/week and she is happy with that.

You dont need much to live on as long as your accommodation is sorted out.

You are correct in regards to part time, i should have stated casual!

The definitions are here for anyone doing investigations:

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employee-entitlements/types-of-employees/casual-part-time-and-full-time

My weekend rates as per EBA are sat: 2hrs @ 1.5x & remainder @ 2.0x, sun: entire shift 2.0x

If i work sat & sun only i make close to what i would slogging 38hrs mon-fri!

Edited by I <3 Cebu

btw it's very normal, especially in high end places chefs do overtime without pay, (sometimes you get time back in leu/holiday when things are more quiet)

and yes for all you 8-5ers, ALL REAL celebrity chefs been there..

if you work in a 1-2-3 star michelin establishment A 12-16 hr day is not the exception,  you might not agree with that, but for most of those guys and girls it's a way of life.. a road to ..

i just stated that, as you where wondering about pay,

HIGH END hospitality is one place where for obvious reasons things are not organized as they are in big corporations/government jobs, although in the past years gains are made

Edited by toshi

Current minimum wage for an unskilled casual worker 21 or over is about AUD23.64 per hour. Anyone offering less is probably not genuine. For a skilled, qualified chef, he would be able to get more.

If he is being offered sponsorship at a lower wage, could be a genuine offer, but illegal in practice.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ozepete, sugbu777, newtocebu and 1 other like this

$25,000 after tax is equivalent to a single pensioner rate who is renting or someone on the dole who is renting.  One step up from being homeless.  $25,000 before tax forget it.  If he could share rent and costs with others he can live on that.   Rent a nice four bedroom place with 3 other filipinos.  Pay $60 a month unlimited internet TPG.   TV is free to air and some like Stan offer shows and movies for $10 a month.  Can get a mobile phone rate $30 to $60 a month depends on if he wants to ring Philippines everyday, internet calls would be ideal, skype etc already paid for.  My daughter texts me through Facebook messenger. 

With 3 others he pays $100 a week rent $15 a week internet.   Have no idea about electricity and gas as the body corp where I live bulk buy and rip us off. 

So lets say his cost of living expenses comes to $200 a week shared household,  Transport could cost a lot to and from work but food could be cheap a la Philippines, rice and a smell of meat with some vegetable thrown in so he could end up with $100 a week to send home so long as he doesn't need to pay for doctor, medicine or other unforseen expenses. 

It could be done in a city if he shares expenses but living single could be hard.  I have no idea how anyone could live on $12,000 a year unless they live in a humpy outback somewhere. 

Does he have some amazing talent or qualification?  Why would Australia need to import a chef?

I have no idea how anyone could live on $12,000 a year unless they live in a humpy outback somewhere. 

I really struggle to understand what people spend their money on that they apparently need.  We live in a Melbourne suburb in a flat I own.  Our monthly grocery bill comes to around $300 on average.  Spend $45 a month on internet.  Utilities average around $150 a month.  Petrol costs $60 a month.  Rego and insurance, annual car servicing and council rates come to around $2600.   So all bills are paid for around $9000 a year but occasionally we go out (not often) and occasionally we buy stuff we don't need.  So $12k fills all our needs plus enough luxuries to be comfortable.  As long as you aren't paying for accommodation, $12k is easy to live on.

What else does anyone really need?  Are you not happy if you don't spend a lot more?  I'm not taking the piss, I'm curious.

Thalcoozyo likes this