Thalcoozyo

Aussies - your opinions are needed

58 posts in this topic

The Filipino bro-in-law (a decent restaurant chef) is being courted by a Manila placement agency for OFW work in Australia (city unknown).  It appears promising at this point.  The agency is legitimate; he's on the right track.

My concern is that, to him, an offer of 25,000-30,000 Aust dollars per year will be more money than he's ever seen in his life and he'll think he's hit the jackpot.  But I've done a bit of research and, to me, that amount would put him in the poverty level, likely needed public-assistance to survive.

So a decent chef, in a decent restaurant or hotel or resort, should be paid ?????  in Australian dollars?

Now, I know there's lots of variables.  I also know that the answer depends on his being provided free lodging, or not.  So don't start beating up on me. Let's do this:

QUESTION #1: a decent chef, in a decent restaurant or hotel or resort, should be paid ????? in Australian dollars if he has NO housing provided by the employer?

QUESTION #2: a decent chef, in a decent restaurant or hotel or resort, should be paid ????? in Australian dollars if he DOES have housing provided by the employer?

I'm just looking for ballpark figures. If the question were for the U.S., I'd say (for no housing):   minimum of $60,000USD for larger cities on either coast;  minimum of $40,000USD for most other U.S. locations.

My intent is to clue him in on Australian costs, so that when the agency starts talking money to him, it can be seen if the agency is low-balling him, or not.

Thanks!   Feel free to pm me if you prefer.

$12 / hr isn't even minimum wage in Australia. How can the agency be legitimate if they are breaking the law regarding the salary requirements?

Someone didn't do proper research on the agency.

Question: What does this thread have to do with living in Cebu?

Moved to appropriate forum.

2 people like this

I think most of these so called "Agencies" are out for themselves and don't give a damn about the workers. Recently my wife's niece who has a 4 year college degree was approached by an "agency" who promised them work on a cruise ship if they completed a 6 month course costing nearly $400.00 USD a month. Every other student in her class went but I would not pay for her. Needless to say she hated me for it at the time. FAST FORWARD 8 MONTHS. when I asked her about her class mates who took the course, not one she knows of got a job out of the deal.

If they ask for money up front with promises of Over Seas Work,,,,, look out.

3 people like this

Moved to appropriate forum.

Thanks... yea, didn't know where to put it.

$12 / hr isn't even minimum wage in Australia. How can the agency be legitimate if they are breaking the law regarding the salary requirements?

No money has been discussed, yet, by the agency.   Good info, from knowledgeable sources, is exactly what I'm seeking.  I want my bro-in-law to be armed with accurate knowledge when he reaches the stage at which money is discussed.

Agencies in the Philippines are no different than similar agencies in the States... they offer the applicant a rock-bottom price, and the agency pockets the difference.  If the applicant is smart and negotiates a higher wage, then the applicant is happy and the agency takes a slight cut in their profit.  No one works for free, agencies especially.

I think most of these so called "Agencies" are out for themselves and don't give a damn about the workers. Recently my wife's niece who has a 4 year college degree was approached by an "agency" who promised them work on a cruise ship if they completed a 6 month course costing nearly $400.00 USD a month. Every other student in her class went but I would not pay for her. Needless to say she hated me for it at the time. FAST FORWARD 8 MONTHS. when I asked her about her class mates who took the course, not one she knows of got a job out of the deal.
If they ask for money up front with promises of Over Seas Work,,,,, look out.

How true, how true.  We all, likely, have similar stories to tell.  The tip off is the request for money up front "for additional training."  Such requests are, generally, nearly all bogus and should be the red-flag to the applicant. Move on!

No money has been discussed, yet, by the agency.

Then, why was this mentioned?

My concern is that, to him, an offer of 25,000-30,000 Aust dollars per year will be more money than he's ever seen in his life and he'll think he's hit the jackpot.  But I've done a bit of research and, to me, that amount would put him in the poverty level, likely needed public-assistance to survive.

Good info, from knowledgeable sources, is exactly what I'm seeking.

Minimum wage was $13, back in 2006.

Edited by Paul

Then, why was this mentioned?

I believe he was pointing out that an offer of 25,000 aud (p927,000) per year will make him sign immediately.

Only to find out that he can't live in Australia on such an income.

1 person likes this

I'm just looking for ballpark figures. If the question were for the U.S., I'd say (for no housing):   minimum of $60,000USD for larger cities on either coast;  minimum of $40,000USD for most other U.S. locations.

I don't know where you come up with these figures. We live Florida in a newer home with a new car and live quite comfortably on less than $40,000.

I've heard from my Aussie friends though, that this would be impossible in Australia for that amount...

Edited by Salty Dog
1 person likes this

QUESTION #1 - would get at least $20 an hour, 38 hour week = $760 and thats Mon to Fri money, sat is time and a half and Sunday double, talking the absolute minimum decent hotel

like in a country town, in the city add probably 3 or 4 dollars an hour...accommodation included in Sydney $200 per week for a simple room, half that in Wagga Wagga etc.

1 person likes this

Minimum wage in Australia is currently $17.70 per hour for a FULL TIME employe, PART TIME employee gets +25% taking it upto $22.12, that is based on a 38hr week, any hours worked over that are "penalty" rate which starts at 1.5x for first 2 hours & 2x beyond that.

Full time employee has benefits like holiday pay, sick pay etc, casual does not hence the extra 25%

So lets say he works a standard week of 5x 8hr shifts as a casual employee on minimum wage.

After tax his pay will be $612

Now the fun part, rent in a share house: $100-$250 per week, rent your own flat or house $200-$350 per week, food per week (pinoy style) $100-$150 per week, aussie style $150-250 per week, public transportation (bus &/or train) $10-$20 a day, running your own car/petron $10-$50 a day (depends..).

Then theres bills, phone, electricity etc. Some example figures: pre paid phone bill: $30 a week, electricity $25 a week (based on a $300 bill)

My figures are generic because it really depends on where you live & how you live. If he works his ass off, finds somewhere cheap to live, eats lots of rice, has no social life, he might be able to send $200 a week back home. He also needs to factor in flights & visa fees, other bills like registration & insurance if he has a car or bike

3 people like this