Jawny

Gun shop recommendations in Cebu (assistance with LTOPF and gun permit)

9 posts in this topic

I'm hoping some members have recommendations for gun shops in Cebu that provide the full assistance beyond just sales. I've noticed that some shops in Manila offer some sort of assistance in processing the permits and such. It was surprising to see this as I had the impression most all of the processing was done by the PNP directly. At least that is what happened in Tacloban. The only non-PNP assistance was the gun safety class.

The gun shops in Ormoc city are useless with regard to assistance, and Tacloban is just too much hassle.

You can go to Armscor in Jakosalem Street. Look for Joel Concepcion. If its the LTOPF you need to process you can do that on your own but if you are looking to purchase and then have it legally transferred to you then they can help with that. Please note that as far as I know transferring of ownership for now is not allowed. 

They can give you basic information on how to get the LTOPF and can also help you with one of the requirements which is a gun safety seminar.

1 person likes this

Just to be clear, the LTOPF is something that you need to work on by yourself but the gunshops will be able to provide you with the list of steps, approximate costs, etc. 

Armscor will be able to help facilitate certificate of the registration of your new firearm to transfer it to your name as well as to help process the permit to transport which will enable you to bring the gun out of armscor to your home. 

There are other gunshops who have offered me in the past LTOPF processing that they would label as hassle free (i.e., you only go for appearance), but I opted not to take any chances. 

That's been my experience but perhaps the other members can provide guidance

1 person likes this

Thanks. I had seen a promotion for a gun show in Manila where it seemed they had a set up for processing the drug exam, the psycho exam etc. A sort of one stop process, I was surprised, because I had come to believe the PNP had stopped allowing the dealers to help the applicants. In Leyte, this meant that it was the PNP who did the psycho exam, the drug test etc. and all of that was done in Tacloban. It was more than inconvenient, it was a major hassle requiring several return trips.

I have figured out what the gun show activity is. The PNP has a caravan that shows up for the gun show and assists gun owners (prospective or otherwise) with the process. A one stop process, but is conducted by the PNP.

Edited by Jawny

I know that they have a plan (this time confirmed) to do a caravan here in Cebu. I'll circle back with my friends. It really is worth waiting for that because they try to process everything in a day or two. In my case it took me about 2-3 days plus excluding wait time so if there is a caravan that's nearby take advantage of it. 

BTW, I am making an assumption that you are not filipino.. if I am correct, would that be an issue? said differently, could foreigners own firearms? It is my undersatanding that there are very specific instances where a foreigner can apply for a permit (attache, armed forces, etc.)

1 person likes this

Thanks. This is for a renewal, the second one. The first time was "hassle free" meaning everything was done in a single day. Even the gun safety seminar consisted of a posed photo wearing hearing protection at a "range"....proof of attendance. Last time the process was more real, using PNP personnel exclusively. The trouble is, as you described, it takes several trips, with waitng between trips. And this was from western leyte to Tacloban each trip.

Better than having to do it all at camp Crame which was initially proposed when the PNP changed the process.

I'll check to see if a PNP caravan is slated for this area. I doubt it as these seem to be arranged in larger metro areas.

I was informed that the PNP will have a caravan soon in Ormoc city. Not sure what will be accomplished, but even a few items completed is a step in the right direction.

I was informed that the PNP will have a caravan soon in Ormoc city. Not sure what will be accomplished, but even a few items completed is a step in the right direction.

The caravan process was a great success compared to multiple trips to a regional office.

Of course, there were a few surprises, but the caravan process, at least in Ormoc city, seemed well organized.

Around 100 people (?) showed up on the 20th at a nearby Army base. The process began later than the start time of 8 AM. But, no surprise there. The most pleasant surprise was the neuro/psycho exam had been reduced to just a few questions. Last time it was several hundred questions and even hard to read. No little cartoons to draw and interpret.

Of course one glitch was the need to come back for a piss test. Instead of having someone available to complete the test, it has to be done a week later. Even so, the process was simpler.

The PNP staff from Tacloban even had the courtesy and good sense to bring a photocopier. The funny part was the main use was to copy an OR which was used to show the person had an follow on appointment to review the neuro/psycho exam in Tacloban. Instead of simply making a list of those who paid, a copy of the OR had to be made. Classic example of where there is a solution, let's make a problem.

Oh yeah, everything was on hand, except some #2 pencils! These were needed for the exam. A quick trip to the city for pencils and all was well again. Finished by 1115. Next step is the trip to Ormoc for piss test followed with a trip to Tacloban for final processing....before it all goes to Camp Crame.

Interesting to note that the application form includes a block for email address. That may be a good sign that contact can be made via email.

2 people like this

Don't they say the devil is in the details.  Good news is the PNP made contact about the LTOPF process by SMS. 

The bad bad news is they managed to screw up some simple process.

After the PNP staff in Tacloban reviewed paperwork, it is assembled and sent to Camp Crame for final processing.  So far, so good.

Whoops.  After making the trip to Tacloban to sign application and such, they made contact a week later, just prior to sending the documents to Camp Crame.  "Could you please bring us a copy of your ID?  We were supposed to send copies of TWO forms of ID and we only got one from you.  Sorry"

However, overall, the process for renewal is MUCH easier than the initial,application......aside from errors.