• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garrett

Herb Gardens

11 posts in this topic

Moving away from the Garden post, What about a an Herb garden. Does anyone here grow there own herbs? I was looking at some of the herb gardens online and wonder if anyone has any success?

Garrett

Bukwali a member of this forum has some experience, maybe he'll spot this post and give you some feedback.

Bukwali a member of this forum has some experience, maybe he'll spot this post and give you some feedback.

Hi Garret, Terp is right i did open a topic on this site regarding vegetable and Herbs a while ago, please see link below

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/inde...55&hl=seeds

I've since tried growing peppermint , thyme and rosemary from seed, but with little success, our spring onions went well, I still have quite an assorted amount of vegetable seeds, they all came from Queensland Australia, so should be better suited to this climate than seeds from my Home Country England, if you or anyone else need any of the seeds below just ask there all approaching there use by date, so I'd rather give them out than see them wasted.

Pumpkin [Jarrahdale], Cucumber [crystal apple], Chives, Cucumber [Richmond river], Bean [blue lake], Pigeon pea, Rossela, Rock melon, Silverbeet

Pumpkin squash, Night sented jasmine, Parsley [triple curl], Parsley [kaebug], Pumpkin [Waitham B], Tomato [black Russian], Beetroot [Detroit], beetroot [chiogga], Capsicum, Pie Melon

John

Edited by Bukwali

I know the Chia Pet people have an herb garden. Have you tried that?

Garrett

Talking about herbs, I've spruced up my collection! I'm sooo happy!! My newest herbs are dill, celery, coriander, rosemary and sweet basil to name a few. I got them from a garden show here in Jaro, Iloilo City. Last week we bought a curry tree, tea tree, citronella grass and black pepper. Also got some wormwood and echinacea earlier. The thing that I really wanted was the curly parsley and she ran out of those! :biggrin_01: The woman selling them specializes in organic herbs and she's growing them in Bacolod.

Will try to get some pictures of my herbs tomorrow. :D My Thai basil is growing like crazy!

The garden show in Jaro lasts until February 5. Half of the town plaza is just full of plants! Hubby even got his coffee tree! lol It's amazing to just walk through all the plants they have on sale there. It's just by luck that we stumbled to this herb seller.

just a touch off topic but misty mentioning a tea tree reminded me of it ... the other day i saw a show and they had a bit on there about some guy who started some cookie company somewhere making shortbread cookies with tea in them .. i mean just basically chopped up bits of tea leaves.. i laughed at first cause it made me think of other things that people have put in to cookies or more likely brownies :biggrin_01: ... but then i got to thinking.. hey those may be pretty good .. don't know where to buy his or the brand i never saw that part of the show .. but should be easy enough to come up with a recipe of one's own

Here's some pics of my herbs...

Dill

dsc00740ak5.jpg

Celery

dsc00741ir3.jpg

Rosemary

dsc00742cn1.jpg

Sweet basil

dsc00743uk1.jpg

Wormwood

dsc00744is4.jpg

Tea tree and tabacco plant

dsc00746il2.jpg

Echinecea

dsc00748xb4.jpg

Curry tree

dsc00749zv2.jpg

Just got these earlier today Oregano for 300 pesos

dsc00760fc1.jpg

Two different varieties of Chives and a freebie Holy Basil

dsc00763dr3.jpg

My Thai basil

dsc00755ju1.jpg

Spring onion that hubby planted.

dsc00757gy4.jpg

Our black mulberry tree

dsc00752jr0.jpg

They look very healthy, I'm not having much luck growing from seed, although to be honest I'm not giving the plants as much care as I should,however now that I've finished and furnished our third apartment, the place wont be getting messed up with mixing concrete etc so i can alot an area specifically for herbs, does anyone know a place in Cebu that sells potted herbs?

John

Misty -- great pics and beautiful plants! I definitely want to do some gardening when we get there, so your pics are inspirational!! :)

The Tea Tree (or Ti Tree) that Misty has pictured isn't the plant that is cultivated for the drinking of tea. It is actually an Australian plant which they extract the oils from the leaves. You may have seen it around. Tea Tree Oil. It is used as an antiseptic and antifungal.