#1 Garrett

Garrett
  • Inactive Member
  • 42 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 06:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 4:18 AM

Moving away from the Garden post, What about a an Herb garden. Does anyone here grow there own herbs? I was looking at some of the herb gardens online and wonder if anyone has any success?

Garrett

#2 Terp

Terp
  • Elite Member
  • 1,355 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • 76 topics
  • Local time: 05:08 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 29 January 2009 - 8:39 AM

Bukwali a member of this forum has some experience, maybe he'll spot this post and give you some feedback.

#3 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite Member
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 29 January 2009 - 9:06 AM

Bukwali a member of this forum has some experience, maybe he'll spot this post and give you some feedback.

Hi Garret, Terp is right i did open a topic on this site regarding vegetable and Herbs a while ago, please see link below

http://www.livinginc...e...55&hl=seeds

I've since tried growing peppermint , thyme and rosemary from seed, but with little success, our spring onions went well, I still have quite an assorted amount of vegetable seeds, they all came from Queensland Australia, so should be better suited to this climate than seeds from my Home Country England, if you or anyone else need any of the seeds below just ask there all approaching there use by date, so I'd rather give them out than see them wasted.

Pumpkin [Jarrahdale], Cucumber [crystal apple], Chives, Cucumber [Richmond river], Bean [blue lake], Pigeon pea, Rossela, Rock melon, Silverbeet
Pumpkin squash, Night sented jasmine, Parsley [triple curl], Parsley [kaebug], Pumpkin [Waitham B], Tomato [black Russian], Beetroot [Detroit], beetroot [chiogga], Capsicum, Pie Melon

John

Edited by Bukwali, 29 January 2009 - 9:18 AM .

#4 Garrett

Garrett
  • Inactive Member
  • 42 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 06:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

I know the Chia Pet people have an herb garden. Have you tried that?

Garrett

#5 misty

misty
  • Elite Member
  • 801 posts
  • 73 thanks
  • 25 topics

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

Talking about herbs, I've spruced up my collection! I'm sooo happy!! My newest herbs are dill, celery, coriander, rosemary and sweet basil to name a few. I got them from a garden show here in Jaro, Iloilo City. Last week we bought a curry tree, tea tree, citronella grass and black pepper. Also got some wormwood and echinacea earlier. The thing that I really wanted was the curly parsley and she ran out of those! :biggrin_01: The woman selling them specializes in organic herbs and she's growing them in Bacolod.

Will try to get some pictures of my herbs tomorrow. :D My Thai basil is growing like crazy!

The garden show in Jaro lasts until February 5. Half of the town plaza is just full of plants! Hubby even got his coffee tree! lol It's amazing to just walk through all the plants they have on sale there. It's just by luck that we stumbled to this herb seller.

#6 broden

broden

Fuhgeddaboudit

• +Forum Admin
  • 29,115 posts
  • 6815 thanks
  • 4,255 topics
  • Local time: 04:08 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

just a touch off topic but misty mentioning a tea tree reminded me of it ... the other day i saw a show and they had a bit on there about some guy who started some cookie company somewhere making shortbread cookies with tea in them .. i mean just basically chopped up bits of tea leaves.. i laughed at first cause it made me think of other things that people have put in to cookies or more likely brownies :biggrin_01: ... but then i got to thinking.. hey those may be pretty good .. don't know where to buy his or the brand i never saw that part of the show .. but should be easy enough to come up with a recipe of one's own

With a cheery smile and a wave of his hand he wandered off to an unknown land.

Not all those who wander are lost.

#7 misty

misty
  • Elite Member
  • 801 posts
  • 73 thanks
  • 25 topics

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Here's some pics of my herbs...

Dill
Posted Image

Celery
Posted Image

Rosemary
Posted Image

Sweet basil
Posted Image

Wormwood
Posted Image

Tea tree and tabacco plant
Posted Image

Echinecea
Posted Image

Curry tree
Posted Image

Just got these earlier today Oregano for 300 pesos
Posted Image

Two different varieties of Chives and a freebie Holy Basil
Posted Image

My Thai basil
Posted Image

Spring onion that hubby planted.
Posted Image

Our black mulberry tree
Posted Image

#8 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite Member
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 02 February 2009 - 7:30 AM

They look very healthy, I'm not having much luck growing from seed, although to be honest I'm not giving the plants as much care as I should,however now that I've finished and furnished our third apartment, the place wont be getting messed up with mixing concrete etc so i can alot an area specifically for herbs, does anyone know a place in Cebu that sells potted herbs?

John

#9 RickandSue

RickandSue
  • Inactive Member
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 4 topics

Posted 10 March 2009 - 9:21 AM

Misty -- great pics and beautiful plants! I definitely want to do some gardening when we get there, so your pics are inspirational!! :)

#10 aka

aka
  • Elite Member
  • 505 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • 15 topics
  • Local time: 06:38 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

The Tea Tree (or Ti Tree) that Misty has pictured isn't the plant that is cultivated for the drinking of tea. It is actually an Australian plant which they extract the oils from the leaves. You may have seen it around. Tea Tree Oil. It is used as an antiseptic and antifungal.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea