Raven

The hidden Gems of PH

119 posts in this topic

...every day listening to stuff about de Lima, Duterte, Obama, Abu Sayaf, Shabu etc.

For me, the number 1 reason for being here in The Philippines is; no not my wife or 'cos it's "cheap" to live here (it's not really cheap!), but the country.. the tropical country. I just love the climate and the nature here and then ironically enough, I end up building a house in the heart of a city. The reason for that is simple...we have to survive and we don't have a pension from back home. Not old enough for that and maybe never will be. It have been a long-term plan to make us independent of pensions and make our own way, so we are
not sitting here waiting for it. If we one day can get it..okay and if we don't..okay.

While building (for 7 years now and on going) I do some research on WWW for new places to visit and when time allows, we make field-trips to the locations found, to check out if it is something of interest.
I'm not the one "building", but planning only and I have to be "on site". So that leaves me a lot of time for my interest...searching for new places to visit. I'm trying to collect the places...some visited others not, on a website, so hopefully other nature-lovers can easier can find some nice spots.
Found out that WWW is really a mess, when you start searching for a location... wrong spellings, wrong location or no location and no picture. Many places is only known to the locals and that's sad...so many nice places out there.

Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Edited by Paul
Title and tags added for OP.
7 people like this

Found out that WWW is really a mess, when you start searching for a location... wrong spellings, wrong location or no location and no picture. Many places is only known to the locals and that's sad...so many nice places out there. Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Yeah, the tourism board has to do something to address the lack of information, signs or GPS locations of all these touristy places.

Well, they'll steal the signs for scrap but digital web info and GPS locations would be nice... 

1 person likes this

With 42,029 barangays in The Philippines, it would be possible to get out in every corner of the country, if they had a Barangay Tourism Council like f.e. Bagio has.

But to be an interesting place for a visitor, it does not have to be like the crowded places in Boracay, El Nido, Alona Beach or Bagio. For me it can be the Salt Fields in Alubijid with its rich bird-life or River Trekking in Tablon outside the high season (Easter).

I'm working on something I call "The Golden Route to Cagayan de Oro City." which shows some of the known (and later more unknown) places along a route starting in Cebu crossing Bohol and Camiguin and then ending in Cagayan de Oro City. In fact it's more than one route 'cos it can be adjusted in direction and length, whatever suits the visitor best.

GR-linc.jpg

............  Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Gdonya!  for raising this topic.

I'm a decade out of touch, but when I toured much of the southern half of the Phils on my yacht,  I visited many very attractive/interesting places.

Among them are Palawan, northern Cebu and it's offshore islands, the bottom end of Negros, Bohol, Camiguan,  Samal Island....there are plenty of nice, interesting places.

I hope some current residents will flag a few more for you and add more detail - Enjoy!

3 people like this

In fact the head-line of this topic, should be included in "what I'm tired of"... head-lines or intro's not having any relation to the topic, not only in this forum, but all over WWW.

"Click me", "You won't believe this" or "Famous actor dead" or what else they can use to attract readers. Well, not really interested in you as a reader, but your "click". And again this is not what this topic is about...

This topic is about opening the eyes of the tourists, expats or even the locals, to see that Philippines is a lot more than Boracay, El Nido, Bagio or ziplines and concrete pools like the locals think is the solution for every thing.

In "The Golden Route", I'm working on, are included all the best known places, but I hope to add a lot of "unknown" places too, to give the visitor a  better "planning tool" with a variety of choices.

The Golden Route could start in Manila and follow Highway's down south, but it's a huge work, so I decided to start in Cebu, crossing Bohol and Camiguin and ending in Cagayan de Oro. Well, not really ending in CdO 'cos from here there will be day-trips(routes) to Lanao del Norte and Northern part of Bukidnon.

From CdO, the route goes back to Cebu, but should maybe later continue to Dipolog and on to Negros and Siquijor.

GR-col1.jpg

It's a huge work 'cos there are a lot of places to visit, but after all it's just a hobby... :)

3 people like this

...every day listening to stuff about de Lima, Duterte, Obama, Abu Sayaf, Shabu etc.

For me, the number 1 reason for being here in The Philippines is; no not my wife or 'cos it's "cheap" to live here (it's not really cheap!), but the country.. the tropical country. I just love the climate and the nature here and then ironically enough, I end up building a house in the heart of a city. The reason for that is simple...we have to survive and we don't have a pension from back home. Not old enough for that and maybe never will be. It have been a long-term plan to make us independent of pensions and make our own way, so we are

not sitting here waiting for it. If we one day can get it..okay and if we don't..okay.

While building (for 7 years now and on going) I do some research on WWW for new places to visit and when time allows, we make field-trips to the locations found, to check out if it is something of interest.

I'm not the one "building", but planning only and I have to be "on site". So that leaves me a lot of time for my interest...searching for new places to visit. I'm trying to collect the places...some visited others not, on a website, so hopefully other nature-lovers can easier can find some nice spots.

Found out that WWW is really a mess, when you start searching for a location... wrong spellings, wrong location or no location and no picture. Many places is only known to the locals and that's sad...so many nice places out there.

Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Years ago, I was very active in posting various getaway places that we found that were very nice.

Now, they are all overrun by tourists, and not nice any more. When we find a really neat place now, we keep it to ourselves.

10 people like this

Years ago, I was very active in posting various getaway places that we found that were very nice.

Now, they are all overrun by tourists, and not nice any more. When we find a really neat place now, we keep it to ourselves.

You are right. I was about to ask why The Golden Route did not incorporate the northern and eastern parts of Bohol, but I have now decided to retract that question.

1 person likes this

If you changed the Title of the thread to something like, Who's Interested in Nature or Where's Your Favorite Spot, you might get a better response... :unknw:

Edited by Salty Dog
3 people like this

Don't go to Mindanao! You will be raped, robbed, beheaded, knifed, shot, murdered, and maybe held for ransom. It's far too dangerous of a place to visit. So, take my advice, don't go there. This includes all North, South, East, and West areas of the island, and all islands immediately around Mindanao.

Where's Your Favorite Spot

Anywhere around the Metro Manila Area. I think everyone who visits the Philippines should go there - and stay there. No need to venture to other areas of the country. It's all downhill once you have been to Manila. Really. I'm being honest here. Truly, I am. I swear. 

9 people like this

You are right. I was about to ask why The Golden Route did not incorporate the northern and eastern parts of Bohol, but I have now decided to retract that question.

If you take your time to read about it, you will see it covers the northern and central parts yes all of Bohol and surrounding islands.

Years ago, I was very active in posting various getaway places that we found that were very nice. Now, they are all overrun by tourists, and not nice any more. When we find a really neat place now, we keep it to ourselves.

I might hire a private investigator to see what it is you are hiding from us. Do you know one? :)