• Inactive Member
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Local time: 05:09 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

as far as I understand it, I can get a roaming SMART Sim card that enables somebody in the Philippines to text that number abroard at the same price as they can send texts within the Philippines.

now I've already got a SIM card in the UK that enables me to SEND inexpensive texts to the Philippines. The only problem with that is it costs them 15 pesos from the Philippines to REPLY to that number.

if I get a roaming SMART Sim card here, and then load it into a cheap $20 Nokia I can get at Dubai airport on the way out of here in March for cheaper than I can get here, will that work?

I'm guessing I can receive and read cheap text messages from them in that phone but reply to them using my other number in the other phone to keep my costs down that side.

if I never send a text or make a call with the roaming SMART Sim Card, how long will the load last, and if it does run out while I'm out of the Philippines, how can I reload it?

#2 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1187 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 10 January 2009 - 8:32 PM

Good place to start!

http://smart.com.ph/...l...amp;x=0&y=0

#3 careless whisper

careless whisper
  • Inactive Member
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Local time: 06:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 8:57 PM

as far as I understand it, I can get a roaming SMART Sim card that enables somebody in the Philippines to text that number abroard at the same price as they can send texts within the Philippines.

now I've already got a SIM card in the UK that enables me to SEND inexpensive texts to the Philippines. The only problem with that is it costs them 15 pesos from the Philippines to REPLY to that number.

if I get a roaming SMART Sim card here, and then load it into a cheap $20 Nokia I can get at Dubai airport on the way out of here in March for cheaper than I can get here, will that work?

I'm guessing I can receive and read cheap text messages from them in that phone but reply to them using my other number in the other phone to keep my costs down that side.

if I never send a text or make a call with the roaming SMART Sim Card, how long will the load last, and if it does run out while I'm out of the Philippines, how can I reload it?

Hi there, i've been using the roaming Smart sim card while living in europe. My relatives send me sms messages on this number and it cost them as if I'm in the Philippines. All you have to do is txt "roam on" to 333 at least one hour before you depart from the Philippines. Hope that helps.

Edited by careless whisper, 10 January 2009 - 9:02 PM .

#4 mr_whippy

mr_whippy
  • Inactive Member
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 21 topics

Posted 12 January 2009 - 4:08 PM

thanks for these replies, I got the smart card in SM mall a few days ago, 70 pesos.

you need to keep it loaded with a minimum of 100 pesos for texts and 500 for calls while you are away.

you also need to use it at least once every two months while you are outside the Philippines to maintain the service. In theory all you need to do is send one text message to the Philippines from outside every two months. Each text costs 20 pesos, not a hell of a lot if you are taking western money, but still quite a bit more than you are paying if you shopped around for a UK SIM card that can send texts to the Philippines for only 0.06 UK pounds each which right now works out at about 10 pesos. To be on the safe side I'll load it up with 100 pesos for each month plus the 100 pesos it needs to keep maintained. If I have a few hundred pesos load left over when I come back that's no problem as you can use it here as well. Even if the card is overseas, anybody in the Philippines can pass-a-load to it on their smart SIM any time using the 808 number, or e-load it in a shop anytime they like.

#5 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,286 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

To be honest if your using a phone in the UK to text I would go with a Skype phone and get whoever your texting a cheap PC and internet. Skype is free to use I used to spend upto 100 a month on calls/text but now if im in the UK its about 10.00 (which includes my UK calls and texts) and the cost of the net in RP. But either way around 20.00 a month all in is cheap and when you are in the Philippines you have internet already installed.

#6 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 01:09 PM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

You can get a new SUN IDD international SIM card for 49 pesos which includes 5 txt msg and 5 min of international call to 10 countries inc. USA, Canada and UK. After that you just pay 1 peso per txt and 10 cents US/minute.

With this card, your GF/wife etc. can txt or call you directly without the hassle of roaming. I just bought the card, so no first hand experience though but this is what they advertise.

#7 mr_whippy

mr_whippy
  • Inactive Member
  • 199 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 21 topics

Posted 20 February 2009 - 8:47 PM

the SMART roaming card has been working fine, and have been receiving messages in Thailand and now the UK. They only cost the sender 1 peso as opposed to the usual 15 pesos texts cost.

texting and calling from the UK I find is cheap enough for my needs with IDT mobile, a card that is geared to foreigners living/working here. There's no problem getting load as its widely available at convenience stores. The SIM cards cost 5, calls to the Philippines are 7 pence per minute at all times and texts are 10p.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea