Sign in to follow this  
Woolf

Hybrid train to be tested in Cebu City

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/100295/hybrid-train-to-be-tested-in-cebu-city

Hybrid train to be tested in Cebu City

EXPECT a train to run in the streets of Cebu City beginning next month as the city government is set to conduct road tests for a hybrid electric train from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).

Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) head lawyer Rafael Christopher Yap said that one unit of the prototype first ever Filipino-made hybrid electric train will be delivered by DOST to the city in September for test drive as part of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed in May last year by then Mayor Michael Rama and DOST.
Under the MOU, the city will have to identify train routes for the prototype and also submit to DOST a list of personnel who will be trained to drive.
The hybrid electric train, which took DOST three years to develop, looks like buses linked to one another. It is considered environmentally friendly as it runs both on electric power and diesel fuel. No cables or metal tracks are needed.
“First we have to check its technical capability to run. The reason why they are sending it to us is for our testing, and then if we like it, to promote the road train,” Yap said, adding that the hybrid electric train is being eyed as a solution to commuter problems in the city.

Here are some pictures  

https://www.google.dk/search?q=hybrid+electric+train+philippines&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAzM7_iarOAhXDEiwKHURTBZsQsAQIIw&biw=1830&bih=1100#imgrc=o2rKPXLTTAFWhM%3A

I wonder what streets they are going to test that on

I find it hard to figure out where they will find space for a road train like that

Here is one picture

2015_07_24_15_00_42.JPG

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 4

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/100295/hybrid-train-to-be-tested-in-cebu-city

Here are some pictures  

https://www.google.dk/search?q=hybrid+electric+train+philippines&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAzM7_iarOAhXDEiwKHURTBZsQsAQIIw&biw=1830&bih=1100#imgrc=o2rKPXLTTAFWhM%3A

I wonder what streets they are going to test that on

I find it hard to figure out where they will find space for a road train like that

Just block off one lane as usual.

• Like 1

lol..  I look at the photo and I can't stop laughing.  Just trying to imagine where they'd be able to turn this damn thing around. Surely DOST must have had a route in mind when they designed it.

[Reminds me the time I watched a New York City bus driver do a 20 point turn to get his bus going in the other direction in Manhattan]. 

• Like 3

lol..  I look at the photo and I can't stop laughing.  Just trying to imagine where they'd be able to turn this damn thing around. Surely DOST must have had a route in mind when they designed it.

[Reminds me the time I watched a New York City bus driver do a 20 point turn to get his bus going in the other direction in Manhattan]. 

Why would they have to turn it around?

Just googled "dost electric hybrid train" and quite a few articles and photo's come up.  Obviously this has been in the works for some time.

I note that quite a few of the photo's show this vehicle on rails instead of on the road.  I'm guessing it's been designed primarily to replace the rolling stock in the Manila rail system.  makes sense in this Manila centric country.  Can't see how it would work on the roads without a defined right of way.

Back in Canada I lived in Toronto, which has a street car system, with single and double vehicles.  In the winter, as snow piles up along the sides of the routes, cars slowly park further and further from the cub, until one driver (1 is all it takes) parks his car just a little too far out, and the street car can't pass at all, until the car is removed.

I can't imagine AT ALL how this vehicle could share the road with Jeepneys and taxis and motorcycles in Cebu City.

Why would they have to turn it around?

well..  try to imagine what routes the vehicle could travel without it having to turn around?

Just googled "dost electric hybrid train" and quite a few articles and photo's come up.  Obviously this has been in the works for some time.

I note that quite a few of the photo's show this vehicle on rails instead of on the road.  I'm guessing it's been designed primarily to replace the rolling stock in the Manila rail system.  makes sense in this Manila centric country.  Can't see how it would work on the roads without a defined right of way.

Back in Canada I lived in Toronto, which has a street car system, with single and double vehicles.  In the winter, as snow piles up along the sides of the routes, cars slowly park further and further from the cub, until one driver (1 is all it takes) parks his car just a little too far out, and the street car can't pass at all, until the car is removed.

I can't imagine AT ALL how this vehicle could share the road with Jeepneys and taxis and motorcycles in Cebu City.

well..  try to imagine what routes the vehicle could travel without it having to turn around?

I can imagine.

Edited by shadow

Course it might make more sense if it was only 2 cars long instead of 4.

3 right turns and a left 

3 left turns and a right 

???

3 right turns and a left 

3 left turns and a right 

???

Not many areas in Cebu you can do that with a monster like this.

Oh yes, and people are so tolerant on the road. Each turn will cost 10 motor bike drivers and some passenger their lifes.

• Like 3

I look at the photo and I can't stop laughing

Me too!!! LMAO!