Comfy Theme© by Fisana

Photo

How far can a wireless signal be transmitted?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#11 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

You can't trust the internet

• +Global Mod
  • 9,075 posts
  • 2963 thanks
  • 1,098 topics
  • Local time: 08:04 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

Yes this can be done with a Yagi antenna it will go several miles. You need a get a access point and Yagi antenna. The key will be line of sight. However you need to look at the power they are transmitting at. You may be able to reach them but they can not reach you. There would be several variable when you set this up. So answering the question and saying this will work is impossible. However a Yagi antenna and access point will be what you need to get the best chance of a positive result.

Greetings:

Okay, this may sound a bit out there, but bear with me here.

I am going to rent an office space located on the second floor of a building in the town in which I am now residing.

I live about 6 kilometers (on the odometer, not as the crow flies), from said town.

Now, my question is, would it be possible to purchase an antenna, amplifier, etc., that I can connect to a wireless router, which would allow the wireless signal to transmit that far?

I may be a bit slow in replying to this, but I will be back on as soon as possible.

Thanks for any replies,

Paul

#12 whiner

whiner

Emperor of America

• Sponsor
  • 829 posts
  • 95 thanks
  • 98 topics
  • Local time: 01:04 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

Do a web search on wifi antennas I've played with homemade antennas they work, but for any distance over 300 ft it must be line of sight. The reciever antenna must be able to see the router antenna. You also need to buy better quality router, the ones diesigned for home use are just that, for home use.
A big frustration with this type of setup is having to reset the router, it happens fairly often. It is fun for the hobbiest to play with. Two or three people in a neighborhood can use one account. When traveling in the US there are many unprotected WiFi setups. Jim

http://www.turnpoint...reless/has.html

#13 Alan S

Alan S

The Closer

• +Forum Admin
  • 7,505 posts
  • 1924 thanks
  • 261 topics
  • Local time: 01:04 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Ham Call Sign:G8BLW
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:12 AM

Paul,
Quickly throw together a down-converter to 80 metres.
There is so much rubbish there that a bit more wont be noticed! lol

#14 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

USMC-Retired, you are on the right track. Depending upon the terrain, interference and some other issues, a yagi will probably do for this application. You will not get the full rated speed of the router though. But I'm sure that Paul is mostly trying to get internet to his remote home, so he would be tickled pink with a 1 mb signal dependable signal.

If there are any obstacles, physical or technological, you might have to go to a parabolic antenna. This IS the most effective for long distance applications in this frequency range because the propagated signal is more focused and does not waste power on side lobes.

Good cabling to the antenna is an absolute must as is antenna stabilization (no sway). There are also certain routers that are made for long distance applications and black market amps as well. Who is ever going to catch you running a hot amp in the province?

If you can get LOS, it can be done!f

#15 whiner

whiner

Emperor of America

• Sponsor
  • 829 posts
  • 95 thanks
  • 98 topics
  • Local time: 01:04 PM
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi tec no expense spared parabolic antenna. Close to $2 US spent on construction.

Attached Thumbnails

• wifi.jpg

#16 makulit

makulit
  • 69 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

ok im going to jump in here with some dumb questions. I have been trying to find a way to get internet to my property. It is about 10km inland from Carcar. I can get almost full cell phone signal in the barangay but at my property, about 2 or 3 km farther, i get nothing. Is it possible to do this wireless thing from the barangay thru smart or globe cell internet.
Also i was wondering how, or what, the difference is between cell phone signal and how the blackberry works. Would i have a better chance with the blackberry.

Don't laugh at the ignorant, please. And thanks in advance for any help i may or may not receive.

#17 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

• +Global Mod
  • 9,075 posts
  • 2963 thanks
  • 1,098 topics

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Cell phones use a higher frequency and the signal is digital. In the US the Frequency goes from 824 to 894 Mhz. Digital is described like an on off light switch either you have a signal or you do not. The quality is the same no mater if you have one bar or 4 bars. It is on or off.

Wireless internet is Analog. It travels farther however it can have variants of quality. It is more like a dimmer light switch in your house. It operates at 2.4 Ghz. and is not compatible with your cell phone.

They do have some phone services that are offered with your Smartbro internet service. However the cell phone is really a no go. As for the Blackberry that is also a digital signal.

I hope this answers your questions.

ok im going to jump in here with some dumb questions. I have been trying to find a way to get internet to my property. It is about 10km inland from Carcar. I can get almost full cell phone signal in the barangay but at my property, about 2 or 3 km farther, i get nothing. Is it possible to do this wireless thing from the barangay thru smart or globe cell internet.
Also i was wondering how, or what, the difference is between cell phone signal and how the blackberry works. Would i have a better chance with the blackberry.

Don't laugh at the ignorant, please. And thanks in advance for any help i may or may not receive.

#18 makulit

makulit
  • 69 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Cell phones use a higher frequency and the signal is digital. In the US the Frequency goes from 824 to 894 Mhz. Digital is described like an on off light switch either you have a signal or you do not. The quality is the same no mater if you have one bar or 4 bars. It is on or off.

Wireless internet is Analog. It travels farther however it can have variants of quality. It is more like a dimmer light switch in your house. It operates at 2.4 Ghz. and is not compatible with your cell phone.

They do have some phone services that are offered with your Smartbro internet service. However the cell phone is really a no go. As for the Blackberry that is also a digital signal.

I hope this answers your questions.

Yes thank you it did answer some of it.

If i understand you correctly, the wireless internet is analog and even if i don't get a signal on my cell phone i could possibly get a signal on the wireless internet.
Is there a way to check the ananlog signal in my area?
I don't care how fast the internet is really, i just use it to keep in touch with family and friends and do a bit of research reading. No video or heavy downloads, i just need some sort of connection even at 14.4 i'd be happy, at least its better than nothing.
Any other options you might know about would also be appreciated. i'm very open to any suggestions, hopefully they won't be expensive suggestions.

Thanks again

#19 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

• +Global Mod
  • 9,075 posts
  • 2963 thanks
  • 1,098 topics

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Yes I assume you can get smartbro in Carcar.

This link says others have it in your area.

http://www.livinginc...?showtopic=9021

Yes thank you it did answer some of it.

If i understand you correctly, the wireless internet is analog and even if i don't get a signal on my cell phone i could possibly get a signal on the wireless internet.
Is there a way to check the ananlog signal in my area?
I don't care how fast the internet is really, i just use it to keep in touch with family and friends and do a bit of research reading. No video or heavy downloads, i just need some sort of connection even at 14.4 i'd be happy, at least its better than nothing.
Any other options you might know about would also be appreciated. i'm very open to any suggestions, hopefully they won't be expensive suggestions.

Thanks again

#20 Dans

Dans
  • Inactive Member
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 0 topics

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

Greetings:

Okay, this may sound a bit out there, but bear with me here.

I am going to rent an office space located on the second floor of a building in the town in which I am now residing.

I live about 6 kilometers (on the odometer, not as the crow flies), from said town.

Now, my question is, would it be possible to purchase an antenna, amplifier, etc., that I can connect to a wireless router, which would allow the wireless signal to transmit that far?

I may be a bit slow in replying to this, but I will be back on as soon as possible.

Thanks for any replies,

Paul

I am a WISP and been providing internet via wireless for almost 11 years now and i could safely say that this is my turf, a regular 2.4ghz with 100mw transmit power such as the linksys wap54g or the 250mw linksys wrt54g access point, a 24dbi grid antenna and a clear line-of-sight could reach a distance of at least 11 kilometers, if you don't have a LOS, the distance could reach at least 8KM, if LOS is really impossible you could use 1 directional antenna on one end and omni antenna on the other, although amplifier is available in the market, you don't need it to achieve a long distance goal. if grid antenna is not available in the market, you can build one for yourself. visit my blog http://thekrome.blogspot.com

let me know if you need more help.

Edited by Dans, 08 January 2009 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea