• Elite Member
  • 223 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 12:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi All,I am looking for advice on where to get an acoustic guitar made for my SO birthday.I know there are a lot of guitar makers in Mactan but what I have seen of them they are mostly for the tourists to take back home as presents.I am looking for the same quality as Martin.Is that possible?Thanks Don

#2 Mik

Mik
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,883 posts
  • 199 thanks
  • 135 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

At SM on the bottom floor there is a Yamaha store and Salonga guitar store right in front of that. Also on the top floor at SM there is Perfect Pitch and some other stores. The imported brand name guitars at these stores will probably cost you about 15%-25% above the manuf. suggested list price. In the states you could find these same guitars for 25% under the manuf. suggested list price. The Yamaha stores and Perfect Pitch stores are owned by the same company: http://www.yupangco....s/directory.php

There are good makers of acoustic guitars in Lapu-Lapu City on Mactan. I bought a very nice classic guitar at Lilang's there for P9000 including hard case. I am new to guitar so I don't know how it would compare to a Martin. It's best to look for yourself. Head toward Mactan using the old bridge, then drive north on the main road. Lilang's store will be on the right side of the road. If you get to the new bridge then you have gone too far. I am told that Lilang's Guitar Factory is one of the original guitar makers there. You can call Lilang's at 340-8451.

There are also unique shell guitars for sale on Mactan. A nice one might cost P12,000.

#3 cognac

cognac
  • Inactive Member
  • 112 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi All,I am looking for advice on where to get an acoustic guitar made for my SO birthday.I know there are a lot of guitar makers in Mactan but what I have seen of them they are mostly for the tourists to take back home as presents.I am looking for the same quality as Martin.Is that possible?Thanks Don

You're not going to find a Martin or a Taylor quality guitar that's handmade here. IMHO, (this is coming from a Taylor player with 30 experience as a guitarist), the best you're going to get from the Mactan makers is either an Allegre or Ferangeli. You'll do best if you go to the factories for those places yourself. The top of the line guitars for each of those makers will probably run you around P25,000. Allegre will not make a custom guitar for you, but I've been told that Ferangeli will.

#4 breakfast

breakfast
  • Inactive Member
  • 230 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 01:28 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

You're not going to find a Martin or a Taylor quality guitar that's handmade here. IMHO, (this is coming from a Taylor player with 30 experience as a guitarist), the best you're going to get from the Mactan makers is either an Allegre or Ferangeli. You'll do best if you go to the factories for those places yourself. The top of the line guitars for each of those makers will probably run you around P25,000. Allegre will not make a custom guitar for you, but I've been told that Ferangeli will.

Agree,

but

HAGGLE

walking away, you may get an offer

#5 cognac

cognac
  • Inactive Member
  • 112 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

Agree,

but

HAGGLE

walking away, you may get an offer

Yes, that's a good point. The Ferangeli classical guitar I bought was priced at 25T, but I got them down to 17. You might have more trouble haggling with Allegre though, but it never hurts to try.

#6 samatm

samatm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,459 posts
  • 572 thanks
  • 207 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

I would like to get a decent guitar for my daughter to learn on--Hecks I might even wanna try it out myself --- Can I get a decent "learners" guitar for say 4000 P or so? I'm a comploete novice at Guitar shopping; what should I pay attention to in buying my Mactan guitar?

#7 kaloy

kaloy
  • Elite Member
  • 250 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • 20 topics
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

Check opon guitars on Lapu-lapu.....I bought one there in 2006 and it was so sweet :)Opon Guitars (Main Branch):
Telephone Number: (032) 340-0995
Address: M.L. Quezon Highway, Pajo, Lapu - Lapu City, Cebu
Philippines, 6015
Contact Person: Eddie Pangatungan or Nilo Gungob
Email: eddie@oponguitars.com or oponguitars@yahoo.com

#8 sfracerdaniel

sfracerdaniel
  • Inactive Member
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hey guys: Speaking of guitars, are american fender strats or teles readily available? Or are they too expensive? I'm considering bringing my strat with me from the states, unless I can pick one up there for a decent price.

Thanks!

#9 billten

billten
  • Elite Member
  • 1,094 posts
  • 387 thanks
  • 70 topics
  • Local time: 12:28 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

There is a guy named Junx who lives near JY that makes very high quality guitars. His Harina guitars have been compared to Martin and other US manufacturers very well, but they cost about $300 plus. You can reach him at junxmuana@yahoo.com, he is very cool and as he is independently wealthy, its a hobby and the money is not the most important thing to him. I have two of his guitars myself.

#10 Mik

Mik
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,883 posts
  • 199 thanks
  • 135 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Here's some Fender prices from Perfect Pitch:
http://www.yupangco....3...nge=&page=1
The headquarters is in Manila but they have a Perfect Pitch store in Cebu SM on the top level.

Hey guys: Speaking of guitars, are american fender strats or teles readily available? Or are they too expensive? I'm considering bringing my strat with me from the states, unless I can pick one up there for a decent price.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea