contraman

One Stop Advice for those new to the Philippines

20 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

This stuff really scares me.  I never have trusted "authority."

Should I be afraid?  How common is stuff like this?  How much is the payoff they obviously demand?  Talk to me, please?

If you like stretching the boundaries of the law, then you should worry. Otherwise, you have very little to be worried about. Remember that the adultery/concubinage laws are very different here than they are in the US. Remember that you may not be able to accurately judge ages, so you should be very careful that you don't get involved with a minor. Also remember that, regardless how long you live here, you are a guest of the Philippines, and NOT a citizen. It isn't like the US where we give the same basic rights to everybody, regardless of their citizenship status. Here, citizens have more rights than guests. Stay away from politics, rallies, protests, etc. In fact, foreigners should do everything they can to live quiet, non-offensive lives, if they want to live peacefully here. It is the guys who get sideways with the law or sideways with Filipinos that end up with their names in the newspaper (not something you want here).

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, RickyL said:

The Philippines will never be known for their excellent police work or justice system.

"Never" is a very long time . I bet that at one time Canadian aborigines thought that they would "never" be invaded by white guys !

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, RickyL said:

The police are mostly criminals in the Philippines, it is indeed a travesty.

Edited by Davaoeno
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If you like stretching the boundaries of the law, then you should worry. Otherwise, you have very little to be worried about. Remember that the adultery/concubinage laws are very different here than they are in the US. Remember that you may not be able to accurately judge ages, so you should be very careful that you don't get involved with a minor. Also remember that, regardless how long you live here, you are a guest of the Philippines, and NOT a citizen. It isn't like the US where we give the same basic rights to everybody, regardless of their citizenship status. Here, citizens have more rights than guests. Stay away from politics, rallies, protests, etc. In fact, foreigners should do everything they can to live quiet, non-offensive lives, if they want to live peacefully here. It is the guys who get sideways with the law or sideways with Filipinos that end up with their names in the newspaper (not something you want here).

That's exactly what I was thinking.  The guy who has been in jail here for 5 years must have really pi**ed off the wrong person or was in the way of someone competing with him in his business...

I know nothing of PP politics and I don't care to learn.  All I want is to live out my live in peace, and in the arms of my PH Lady.  Dead serious.

Some of the stuff on here is pretty scary!

Medical insurance, for example...

Thanks 4 the reply :)

32 minutes ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Some of the stuff on here is pretty scary!

Medical insurance, for example...

Thanks 4 the reply :)

You need to realize that some members on here have their heads in the sand, or they let their little head do all the thinking for them. ;)

Also, just because someone seems to speak with authority, that doesn't mean that he isn't full of shit.

When was the last time you went to a stranger to ask for family, financial or life changing advice...

So do diligent research and remember that sometimes, you need to take what people say with a grain of sand.

It's like comparing reviews on the internet. It's often more realistic if you throw out the 1 and 5 star reviews and give more credence to the 2-4 star reviews. It's also human nature for some people to only speak up when they want to complain.

Before long, you will be able to tell which members bitch and complain about any and everything. That's where the block function of the forum will come in handy. 

4 people like this

13 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You need to realize that some members on here have their heads in the sand, or they let their little head do all the thinking for them. ;)

Also, just because someone seems to speak with authority, that doesn't mean that he isn't full of shit.

When was the last time you went to a stranger to ask for family, financial or life changing advice...

So do diligent research and remember that sometimes, you need to take what people say with a grain of sand.

It's like comparing reviews on the internet. It's often more realistic if you throw out the 1 and 5 star reviews and give more credence to the 2-4 star reviews. It's also human nature for some people to only speak up when they want to complain.

Before long, you will be able to tell which members bitch and complain about any and everything. That's where the block function of the forum will come in handy. 

Yeah - right on.

I'll be on the ground there soon.  I'm just getting nervous, here.  It will be a very long week - I leave next Sunday.  Then I will be with my Lady, once again. 

The boss man posted on how "special" PH women are.  He sure is right.  He77, I haven't been in love like this since Jr. High School!  I'm 67 - rofl!

1 minute ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Yeah - right on.

I'll be on the ground there soon.  I'm just getting nervous, here.  It will be a very long week - I leave next Sunday.  Then I will be with my Lady, once again. 

The boss man posted on how "special" PH women are.  He sure is right.  He77, I haven't been in love like this since Jr. High School!  I'm 67 - rofl!

Just remember to NOT let your heart get in the way of your brain. Even when you are head-over-heels in love, you still need to keep your eyes wide open.

2 people like this

11 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

This stuff really scares me.  I never have trusted "authority."

Should I be afraid?  How common is stuff like this?  How much is the payoff they obviously demand?  Talk to me, please?

Hey Kid,

"stepping out your front door can be very dangerous" Bilbo Baggins

These things happen. The key is to not put yourself at risk...

Do good...not evil

Don't piss off a Filipino

Meet the Barangay Captain...maybe have them over for dinner to introduce yourself

Stay away from evil doers...druggies, etc.

Make sure you check ID before dating a girl to verify age...no ID, no date

If you are married/fiance make sure you have an adult family member around when entertaining nephews and nieces  

Don't get in a car that you don't know the driver unless it's public transport

Inform the Embassy of your trip and itinerary

I'm sure the members will come up with a bunch more rules but common sense is your best defense against corruption and crime. Don't place yourself in harms way. That may mean not coming to the Phils if you don't want a bit of adventure in your life.

Mostly...these things don't happen but it is sad when they do.

1 person likes this

Philippines is similar too Pandora, you just need to take advice of Colonel Quaritch: “Every living thing that crawls, flies or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for Jujubes.”

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, cogon88 said:

Philippines is similar too Pandora, you just need to take advice of Colonel Quaritch: “Every living thing that crawls, flies or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for Jujubes.”

you left out the sea so floats or swims too