rep1

Washitsu / Raised flooring?

29 posts in this topic

It appears Koreans still build new houses and hotels that way! They call it "Ondol"! :D 

f7d0dcfb95f837828eff5754d6e92437.jpg

Koreana-photos-Exterior.JPEG

Yeah well this isn't Korea or Japan.  This is the Philippines.  Those big spaces underneath your floor will quickly be filled by rats and roaches.  You're trying to save money by not buying furnitures and building your washitsu, how much do you think it will cost you to raise your floors?  It cost a heck of a lot more than buying furnitures.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No more problem with budget because of turnover delay. What if I skip the raised flooring? Just carpet, mattress, and futons.

The obvious seemly advantage is to fill the room with maximum sunlight (the window is floor-to-ceiling) and I wouldn't be able to fall from bed, but I'd lose the storage space beneath bed and chairs/ottomans. Plus improper TV height...

and I don't know how to sit on that thing heh. will have to adapt.

Edited by rep1

On 4/15/2016 at 0:17 PM, rep1 said:

I'll need a bed frame (30k), night tables (10k), tv stand (10k), sofa (30k) etc for a start, not including any decorations yet...

Since you seem to be keen on saving space and don't have a lot of money to spend, why not buy a sofa that's also a bed?

About 22,000 PHP at Mandaue Foam:

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

8 hours ago, rep1 said:

I wouldn't be able to fall from bed,

My little brother used to do that but we solved the problem by putting side rails on his bed. It might work for you too .

side rails can't look good! I want bed like this:

13385674_1056339554462753_666890932_n.jp

(no longer available, sadly)

Sofa-bed would solve the space problem but I have been told here it's not good for sleeping. will go for the thickest foam / latex.

13 hours ago, rep1 said:

Sofa-bed would solve the space problem but I have been told here it's not good for sleeping.

There are good (comfortable) and bad (uncomfortable) sofa beds. I always check things out for myself, rather than listen to naysayers on the internet. A good foam mattress pad will make any bed (regular or sofa) considerably more comfortable, and they're inexpensive:

visco_5_zone_memory_foam_mattress_pad_ho

1 person likes this

I checked shops - not many sofa-bed options, and none of them feature "good sleep" like those being sold in USA. So foam-pad is needed? If it's sold separately I should be able to carry it from overseas.

bqMQbaTs.png

On 11/02/2017 at 1:57 PM, rep1 said:

I still have no idea. Me and my colleagues couldn't figure out so eventually settled with the awful sukhasana, but I guess it's wrong since we could hardly get up afterwards. And the back was useless.

A  washitsu is a tatami mat floor. Tatami is resurfaced with rice straw or changed every few years as it starts to smell.  That's why  floors are always ventilated. The same goes for a mattress on the floor. The need to be taken up and aired every day.

Tatami gives under the feet.  Another reason why we can put futon on it and sleep well.

In a washitsu we don't wear shoes/slippers.  So, of course, we don't have furniture in that room either  as we bang out feet.  Also, sliding doors are must because of the draught. You will wake up aching as you try to pull yourself to your feet

Most of what you show is a mishmash of Western and Japanese style.

It's a nice idea but sadly won't work too well here. As already mentioned too many bugs. Add to that the very high humidity at times.  In a country that is hot all year round tiles and slippers are the way to go.

The only time I sit on the floor is for meditation and to bow to each other  (dojo).  Even temples have cushions.

There is a reason for having all this in a confined space.  If you do see Japanese living in rooms like this it's because a rented 6 mat room costs them well over  RPH 50.000 a month. They spend little time there as they work six days a week and just come home to sleep.

2 people like this