11 replies to this topic

#1 eNetic

eNetic
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 12:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:45 AM

hello everyone! i have a question regarding the drivers licence in phil. I live in Norway, and i thought it would be usefull to have a filipino drivers licence. OFcource i have a norwegain one, but how do i apply for it? thanks for good information!

#2 bret

bret
  • Sponsor
  • 458 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 07:44 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:08 AM

hello everyone! i have a question regarding the drivers licence in phil. I live in Norway, and i thought it would be usefull to have a filipino drivers licence. OFcource i have a norwegain one, but how do i apply for it? thanks for good information!

I was wondering the same thing. I have a US license. Is it legal to drive in the Fils with a US license as a tourist? Does one need a Filipino license after a period of time?

Edited by bret, 10 November 2008 - 06:08 AM.

#3 ancienrocka

ancienrocka
  • Elite Member
  • 912 posts
  • 369 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • My Blood Type:A-

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:40 AM

I got an International Driving Licence before I came here to live in Cebu by appying to the local motoring organisation
in Australia - RACV. I believe you can do the same thing in your country of residence. It only cost a few dolars but
it was, IMO, a complete waste of money. I have never needed it and could have driven on my ordinary Australian
Licence for up to 3 months. If you want to continue driving after that, it is very easy to get a Philippines Licence.
Posted Image

#4 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

http://www.livinginc...?showtopic=8870

#5 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,550 posts
  • 1760 thanks
  • 179 topics
  • Local time: 11:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

I got an International Driving Licence before I came here to live in Cebu by appying to the local motoring organisation
in Australia - RACV. I believe you can do the same thing in your country of residence. It only cost a few dolars but
it was, IMO, a complete waste of money. I have never needed it and could have driven on my ordinary Australian
Licence for up to 3 months. If you want to continue driving after that, it is very easy to get a Philippines Licence.

A tourist can legally drive in the Philippines using a valid drivers license from another country for a period of 90 days. Then he/she can take their valid license to LTO and get a Philippine license. You don't have to surrender your foriegn countries license, just have it to show them

An international drivers licens is generally not worth the paper (or plastic) it is printed on. You must still possess a valid license from somewhere. The only purpose of the international drivers license is to translate your foriegn license into English.

The auto clubs that sell these worthless documents do not want you to know that though.

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

Pinay Visa

#6 Balay

Balay

I am in the VIP !

• Inactive Member
  • 1,055 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • 40 topics

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

A tourist can legally drive in the Philippines using a valid drivers license from another country for a period of 90 days. Then he/she can take their valid license to LTO and get a Philippine license. You don't have to surrender your foriegn countries license, just have it to show them

An international drivers licens is generally not worth the paper (or plastic) it is printed on. You must still possess a valid license from somewhere. The only purpose of the international drivers license is to translate your foriegn license into English.

The auto clubs that sell these worthless documents do not want you to know that though.

Larry in Dumaguete

Your car insurance may NOT be valid if you do not have a Drivers licence from the Philippines.

Even if your insurance agent tells you are insured... when it comes time to process a claim... you will find out you may not be insured with out a Filipino Drivers Licence.

( I found out this after I got into an accident and filed a claim )

#7 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,045 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

They are worth the paper they are printed on IF you get them from the proper authority. The problem is that many comapnies try to sell fake ones. The UN agreement that forms the basis for international driver's licenses leaves the matter of endorsing licenses up to the individual countries. The US State Department has given authority to two Auto Clubs in the US to issue international driver's licenses that are valid internationally.

What does that mean? If you have a US driver's license and you are not getting it from AAA or United Auto Club(or whatever the name is) then it's not worth the paper it's printed on. In fact, using a fraudulent IDL could get you tossed in jail.

#8 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,550 posts
  • 1760 thanks
  • 179 topics
  • Local time: 11:44 AM

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

They are worth the paper they are printed on IF you get them from the proper authority. The problem is that many comapnies try to sell fake ones. The UN agreement that forms the basis for international driver's licenses leaves the matter of endorsing licenses up to the individual countries. The US State Department has given authority to two Auto Clubs in the US to issue international driver's licenses that are valid internationally.

What does that mean? If you have a US driver's license and you are not getting it from AAA or United Auto Club(or whatever the name is) then it's not worth the paper it's printed on. In fact, using a fraudulent IDL could get you tossed in jail.

An international drivers license, no matter the issuing agent, is only good for translating your current country's valid license. It is NOT a licanse to drive, it is a language translation card.

http://en.wikipedia...._Driving_Permit

Larry in Dumaguete

#9 ancienrocka

ancienrocka
  • Elite Member
  • 912 posts
  • 369 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • My Blood Type:A-

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

[quote name='PiRider' post='80092' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:53 PM']
snip
[quote]

I suggest you don't rely too much on Wikepedia but check out http://www.geocities...c/road1949.html - Article 24 subsection 2, which says that "A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit conforming to the model contained in Annex 10, especially in the case of a driver coming from a country where a domestic driving permit is not required or where the domestic permit issued to him does not conform to the model contained in Annex 9."
As I stated in my earlier post, my International Driving Permit was a waste of money as I have never needed it in Cebu, but it is incorrect to say that they are simply "translations" in all cases.
The only time it was useful was when a Citom wanted to confiscate my license for a minor infringement - I could have given him my Australian, British or Filipino license but offered instead my International License - he couldn't be bothered with it.

#10 sork

sork
  • Inactive Member
  • 398 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 53 topics

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Assuming your Norwegian license is not in English, you will need a translation of it into English. I'm not sure what the translation requirement is... I just know that you need an English translation.

Then follow what Bob said:

http://www.livinginc...?showtopic=8870

Edited by sork, 15 January 2009 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea