• Elite Member
  • 187 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 28 topics
  • Local time: 02:31 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

Will be sending several small packages, under about 4lbs, to the surigao city area. I understand UPS/Fedex/DHL are all much better and safer options overall, but are also much more expensive. The USPS offers 1st class(all they say is delivery time varies), Priority mail(6-10 days)at about 2-3X the 1st class rate, and Express mail(6 days) at about 20% higher than priority. Anyone have experience as to what works best, is 1st class good enough? What is the average delivery time from the US to any of the larger cities? I've read that some mail doesn't get delivered, some 1st class letters and box's takes a month to get there. Just wondering if thats the norm or just rare situations. Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 Tatoosh

Tatoosh

Balding Scullery Boy

• Inactive Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 67 topics

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

Send, if they will fit, via flat rate international priority. Small boxes, not too heavy and fairly cost effective when compared to other delivery services. Talkiing in the mid twenty buck range per box. Worked like a champ for me in Baguio City on the island of Luzon. But if customs gets involved then you are screwed. I have a package from USA to here sent Express mail and it arrived in Manila over a month ago. But it sits in Customs awaiting their determination of the tariff owed. For the first few months with Int'l Priority service, no problems and everything showed up in 7 - 12 days. Now one to two months is the norm due to customs.

#3 aux27us

aux27us
  • Elite Member
  • 187 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 28 topics

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Send, if they will fit, via flat rate international priority. Small boxes, not too heavy and fairly cost effective when compared to other delivery services. Talkiing in the mid twenty buck range per box. Worked like a champ for me in Baguio City on the island of Luzon. But if customs gets involved then you are screwed. I have a package from USA to here sent Express mail and it arrived in Manila over a month ago. But it sits in Customs awaiting their determination of the tariff owed. For the first few months with Int'l Priority service, no problems and everything showed up in 7 - 12 days. Now one to two months is the norm due to customs.

Is it US customs or Phils customs thats the problem? I sent a stuffed toy animal over there via priority Int'l and customs called and asked if they could open it, don't know what they do if the answer is no, but they repacked it and sent it on its way, only about a 2 day delay. I just sent a shirt, card and some cosmetic ear-rings, low value, box weighed 1 lb and the local post office said most people will write down the contents but not the value, so thats what I did. 1st class was $9, priority was around $24 and they said 1st class delivery time would be within a few days of priority and a lot cheaper, so thats what I did. It'll be interesting to see if/when it gets there and what if anything customs does. Are there key words they look for or what, why can't they just x-ray and have a dog sniff it and be done with it? Opening a a box with a toy stuffed animal and no metal was just odd, can't believe they had any reason to do that.

#4 Tatoosh

Tatoosh

Balding Scullery Boy

• Inactive Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 67 topics

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Curious about US customs wanting to look at an outgoing package. Anyway, the customs I am talking about is the Philippine Customs. They are the ones where it all comes to a dead halt for weeks and weeks. Not much you can do about them. Stuff sent first class may get here shortly after the Int'l Priority items, but I have been advised it is often much much longer. I haven't shipped both ways to compare. If it was slow boated via first class and then hit customs here in the PI, you could be looking at four to six months to get an item that was mailed.

Now I have almost no problems with printed material. I've ordered books and manuals from the US and the UK and they coming zooming over usually. Not very cost effective, but no big hang ups either. Good luck and let us know how your shipping experiences go and what services and rates you choose. It is all good info for others who need stuff shipped or want to send something over here.

#5 RBS

RBS
  • Inactive Member
  • 268 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 04:31 AM
  • Location:Australia, looking to move to the Philippines very soon.
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

.... It'll be interesting to see if/when it gets there and what if anything customs does.

When (not if) Philippines Customs get involved, the receiver will have to pay and pay dearly. From experience, the receiver will be asked to pay 100% to 200% of the Customs officer's estimate of the article's value. My Filipino receiver has been able to "negotiate" the duty asked for and the best reduction he has obtained is paying just 20% of the original asking duty (no official receipt given).

Only in the Philippines!

For me, the best way to send items to the Philippines is through the local Filipino balikbayan system. No customs and no "duty".

Edited by RBS, 03 September 2008 - 02:16 PM.

#6 aux27us

aux27us
  • Elite Member
  • 187 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 28 topics

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Curious about US customs wanting to look at an outgoing package. Anyway, the customs I am talking about is the Philippine Customs. They are the ones where it all comes to a dead halt for weeks and weeks. Not much you can do about them. Stuff sent first class may get here shortly after the Int'l Priority items, but I have been advised it is often much much longer. I haven't shipped both ways to compare. If it was slow boated via first class and then hit customs here in the PI, you could be looking at four to six months to get an item that was mailed.

Now I have almost no problems with printed material. I've ordered books and manuals from the US and the UK and they coming zooming over usually. Not very cost effective, but no big hang ups either. Good luck and let us know how your shipping experiences go and what services and rates you choose. It is all good info for others who need stuff shipped or want to send something over here.

It was Phils customs that opened the package, but they did repackage and send it on with no attempt at charging us, that was priority mail which has some tracking compared to 1st class which has zero. 1st class I know learn is basically a free gift for anyone who wants it over there and while no statistics are available as there is no tracking and most don't report to the usps when it doesn't arrive, their feeling was about 1/3 are "lost", i.e. new owners. After talking to another friend today who has relatives in the same city I sent my package to, I'm beginning to think 1st class was the wrong choice, especially since it has cosmetic jewelry in it, a target for theft or scam. Its not just the Phils as other 3rd world countries have the same problems with corrupt gov't and systems and processes that seem designed for inefficiency and no interest in changing. If my package doesn't arrive or we get the customs tax routine, I'll simply never send anything there again and write who I can and tell them why I wont visit their country and spend my money elsewhere. What good will it do? Probably not much, but I'll feel better about it and maybe it will reach the right person who actually does care and wants to eliminate the bad apples. I'll update as to when/if it arrives, 6-10 days is the minimum expected so it will at least be next week.

#7 Venus

Venus
  • Elite Member
  • 132 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Local time: 03:31 AM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Will be sending several small packages, under about 4lbs, to the surigao city area. I understand UPS/Fedex/DHL are all much better and safer options overall, but are also much more expensive. The USPS offers 1st class(all they say is delivery time varies), Priority mail(6-10 days)at about 2-3X the 1st class rate, and Express mail(6 days) at about 20% higher than priority. Anyone have experience as to what works best, is 1st class good enough? What is the average delivery time from the US to any of the larger cities? I've read that some mail doesn't get delivered, some 1st class letters and box's takes a month to get there. Just wondering if thats the norm or just rare situations. Thanks in advance for any input.

hello...FEDEX is much more expensive but it can reach the destination on time. Bases on my experience I send a package in 12kls.box it arrives in the U.S for just a week. for Surigao i think it only takes 3 working days same with the mails.

#8 Venus

Venus
  • Elite Member
  • 132 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Local time: 03:31 AM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

I never experienced that here in Cebu. Most of my package arrives here in original packaging and I only pay 35pesos to claim my package. Even the laptop that my friend has sent to me. Maybe that happens in Manila. He send it priority from USA to Cebu and it arrives here 3weeks only.

#9 aux27us

aux27us
  • Elite Member
  • 187 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 28 topics

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

I never experienced that here in Cebu. Most of my package arrives here in original packaging and I only pay 35pesos to claim my package. Even the laptop that my friend has sent to me. Maybe that happens in Manila. He send it priority from USA to Cebu and it arrives here 3weeks only.

Thats good news. If anyone else has recently received a packaged from the US that was mailed USPS 1st class, I'd be very interested to know how long it took.

#10 On-in-2

On-in-2

KookBuster

• Inactive Member
  • 994 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • 23 topics
  • Local time: 02:31 PM
  • My Blood Type:A-

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Is it US customs or Phils customs thats the problem? I sent a stuffed toy animal over there via priority Int'l and customs called and asked if they could open it, don't know what they do if the answer is no, but they repacked it and sent it on its way, only about a 2 day delay. I just sent a shirt, card and some cosmetic ear-rings, low value, box weighed 1 lb and the local post office said most people will write down the contents but not the value, so thats what I did. 1st class was $9, priority was around $24 and they said 1st class delivery time would be within a few days of priority and a lot cheaper, so thats what I did. It'll be interesting to see if/when it gets there and what if anything customs does. Are there key words they look for or what, why can't they just x-ray and have a dog sniff it and be done with it? Opening a a box with a toy stuffed animal and no metal was just odd, can't believe they had any reason to do that.

Funny you mention this....I sent a USPS First class package with a T-shirt and a shell necklace more than a month ago to Cebu...to a post office box in LapuLapu City...It still ain't there. I have no hope it will ever get there. I sent a different T-shirt about 3 months ago...that one's still missing as well.

I don't believe the Postal service in PI is comprised of anything but thieves and scoundrels. But that's just my opinion.

Pete

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea