• Elite Member
  • 168 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • 39 topics
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

I'm posting this via SmartBRo Prepaid USB Sim- Unit bought at junrex at SM Cebu- 3800 pesos, approx, including a little bit of time- top off your time with a datacard 300pesos- 30pesos an hour (?) I think. There maybe an odd (& bad for the user) way of calculating your time- ie 2:55PM t0 3:00PM = 1/2 hour charge- I don't know that for sure- I read about it in another post- ask. The datacard works like a celcard, but I don't think you can use a celcard.
The software necessary to install is in the USB modem- (you don't need CDROM, etc.) I was told that you can use it on multiple computers (not at the same time-).

I'm posting from the island of Camotes now- at 276K (5 x dialup- much faster in parts of Cebu or other 3G locations). It's great to be able to sit at the beach (if you have a good smart signal) & check my email-

#2 Tatoosh

Tatoosh

Balding Scullery Boy

• Inactive Member
  • 1,326 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 67 topics

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Don, handy little device isn't it? I just loaned it to a friend here in Baguio City who is without internet. I used it in my apartment to do a bit surfing when the DSL dropped out again for awhile. It wasn't a 3G connection from my little cave, so it was slow and if I went to google earth or somewhere like that, it all stalled out. But for doing my email, checking out LinC, and that sort of thing, it was great.

It sounds like you have the same thing I do, but last I heard it was 20 pesos and hour, charged in 10 peso/half hour increments. Mine set me back about the same as you, though the figure 4000 rings in my head. I'm thinking about getting a little tray made for my car so I can do the internet while riding around (not driving). They said they had 300 and 100 peso load cards for it. But when I bought mine, only the 300 was available. Since I only use it for a bit each day when traveling, I didn't want to drop 300 pesos and watch a lot of that disappear unused at the end of the month. So I opted for the pasaload solution.

#3 RBS

RBS
  • Inactive Member
  • 268 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Local time: 01:51 AM
  • Location:Australia, looking to move to the Philippines very soon.
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

I have been using my Nokia 6120 (3G & GSM, cost about P10,000 new) with Smart Buddy pre-paid SIM and USB cable connection as my computer modem for almost a year now. The connection cost is also P10 per 30 minute time block. Is the SmartBRo Prepaid USB SIM any better?

The advantage of the 6120 is that I do not even need to connect it to my computer to access the internet. The cell phone alone is quite suitable for emails, forums, internet banking, etc.

Edited by RBS, 31 August 2008 - 01:28 PM.

#4 billten

billten
  • Elite Member
  • 1,094 posts
  • 387 thanks
  • 70 topics
  • Local time: 12:51 AM
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

How is the speed in comparison to simply using your cell phone as a modem? I am doing just that now and have looked at these USB dedicated cell modems but i am not sure if it will not be just the same speed as what i have now...

#5 cagayanstar

cagayanstar
  • Sponsor
  • 187 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • 3 topics
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Mobile phones nowadays can be use in browsing internet,like Smart they have a promo now called Uzzap where you can use your mobile phone in your access to the web.Nokia series phone alone can be used like a computer with service charge of course.The only problem is that you need to be careful in using your expensive phone,never display it in public,the tendency of your phone to be snatch is great.

#6 Speedy

Speedy
  • Elite Member
  • 244 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • 5 topics

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

How is the speed in comparison to simply using your cell phone as a modem? I am doing just that now and have looked at these USB dedicated cell modems but i am not sure if it will not be just the same speed as what i have now...

As it uses exactly the same system as a cellphones (it is one, in fact), the maximum speed will be the same.
In my case, the modem is faster than my cellphone, because the modem seems to be better in sending power.

#7 caloy

caloy
  • Sponsor
  • 1,049 posts
  • 76 thanks
  • 13 topics

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

GLobe has an alternative for Smartbro and its usb modem is just 2,500 :thats-funny:

#8 billten

billten
  • Elite Member
  • 1,094 posts
  • 387 thanks
  • 70 topics
  • Local time: 12:51 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Do you know what its called? I have never seen anything from globe that you can buy for 2,500. Everything they had last time i went in to see them required a two year commitment.

#9 caloy

caloy
  • Sponsor
  • 1,049 posts
  • 76 thanks
  • 13 topics

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

that's their new prepaid internet like smartbro's prepaid. I will get a brochure later and tell you about its name and details.

#10 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

http://www1.globe.co...?sid=1&artid=98