Lots has been said recently about using shipping containers as homes and it being a way to make housing affordable.  Not sure if that works well in Pnas as a basic container costs around 200K php.  However, I watched a video in the week about a chap in Ulster who made a home out of 4 containers on his family's farm.  The result was gorgeous:

post-13206-0-35041200-1424954593_thumb.jpg

post-13206-0-70333300-1424954595_thumb.jpg

The build was described on Channel 4's Grand Designs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTgwLCMzpjc

Truly inspirational stuff, I think.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 13

Looking at those photos I get the impression that "made from containers" means as much as "made from bricks"

There's way more materials than the base 4 containers in that build.

KonC

Looking at those photos I get the impression that "made from containers" means as much as "made from bricks"

There's way more materials than the base 4 containers in that build.

KonC

Kenny, aside from the outside chimney there isn't.  Furthermore (and this is the only point where it becomes interesting in a Philippines context) the whole structure is resting on concrete pillars at each corner.  id est, there is not extensive groundworks/foundations to support the structure.

Now given the nature of the location and where the bloke wanted his home to be he had to remove a lot of earth/rock to make a level site....but it really is 4 shipping containers resting on about 8 small piers.

Edited by Scotsbloke

When you watch the video, you realize how much work there is to turn four shipping containers into a house. Of course, if he had stacked the containers like they want to be stacked, he could have gotten by with a lot less added structure and a much smaller budget. I know he was trying to make a statement with his house, but I think he still could have taken advantage of the views with balcony extensions, and he wouldn't have had to beef up the structure so much. The extra steel more than doubled the cost of the structure. The hammock-style bathtub was a bit over the top.

I have thought about building a container house at some point, but I would rather have a stucco finish on the outside and sheet rock on the inside. You can take advantage of the waffles on both sides of the exterior walls for greater insulation value that way. Having full wood framing on the inside of his walls to accommodate the insulation uses up precious interior space. It is an amazing build, though, and I think I will refer to it if and when I do my own build. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this project.

I could imagine a two-container house going up in a similar place to the "nipa hut" build on the forums right now. But then...it wouldn't be the same house as the nipa hut. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Edited by Headshot

Look at these exterior panels on the container house. Do they have any practical purpose or just decorative?

Casa+Manifesto+Recycled+shipping+contain

Photo source http://www.prefabcontainerhomes.org/2013/02/casa-manifesto-recycled-shipping.html

Thomas, reading through the link it says:

the house "dresses" in summer and "undressing" winter sun through facades and roof skin. To achieve this architects used two types of skin: one based on fixed horizontal wood slats and other mobile pallet, which can be opened individually to control solar radiation. It also serves as ingenious aesthetic finish to help integrate it into its rural surroundings.

Now I'm not fluent in 'architect' but my guess is that the it acts both as decoration and a louver/shutter system to provide ventilation.  Striking design, though.

Very impressive and as you say in a Philippine context you wouldn't have to make it so ambitious, just insulate it well so it doesn't become like an oven in the sunshine.

Having it on concrete pillars and raised well off the ground would help in flooding, keep out rats and vermin and allow easy access to the plumbing entering and leaving the house.

With just 2 containers you could simply cut off one side of each container, join the two containers together so that you have a large square space to divide up, it would look and feel much less like a container. 

I think it is a great idea and the more imagination you have the more interesting and innovative you can be.

So this has nothing to do with either container homes or Philippines but I watched another episode of Grand Designs on The Tube and thought other members would enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kseIyujyp0Q

The gist of it is an ex Royal Marines officer who lost 3 limbs from IED in Helmand going on to build a home suitable both for his needs as a triple amputee and the needs of his growing family.

It isn't soppy or sentimental but is pretty inspirational.

Edited by Scotsbloke

Look at these exterior panels on the container house. Do they have any practical purpose or just decorative?

Casa+Manifesto+Recycled+shipping+contain

Photo source http://www.prefabcontainerhomes.org/2013/02/casa-manifesto-recycled-shipping.html

I think the shipping pallets stuck to the exterior make the whole house look butt ugly. They could have achieved the same effect (shading the exterior walls) with some horizontal beams covered by vertical slats (running the entire height of the walls), and they wouldn't have destroyed the clean lines of an otherwise innovative house. I do like how they extended the exterior finish above the actual roof line. It could provide a widow's walk sort of balcony on the roof, which would add to the usable space of the home, and the exterior sheathing could serve as railing. They should have thought the design through a bit further before deciding on the exterior finish. It could have been so much better.

Scott, I changed the topic title, so you aren't off-topic in your own thread.