Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Assistance for Yolanda Damage

JohnSurrey    281

Better late than never...

Anyway we're in Leyte and when it happened I gave some of my relatives some emergency cash basically to repair their roofs... maybe 5k at most

We're in Baybay which is outside the BOX marked for official assistance etc.

Anyway one of my wife's sister's has been waiting for more help to repair their roof - most of their house was destroyed by Yolanda but they rebuilt part of it (to sleep in) and were expecting some kind of official help to rebuild the rest... it hasn't happened... and it doesn't look like it ever will. Sadly when the sister's house roof blew off it hit the brother's house next door and did quite a lot of damage to his house too...

None of my relatives earn enough to fork out for capital projects and I'm not flush enough to splash out on a new roof for them (even if I was it would probably cause a family fight as I'd be being too generous to one etc... zzz)

Anyway I'm going to try applying to my own professional association's benevolent fund as I happened to read the other day that they helped someone after Yolanda...

I suspect the total amount required would be circa Pesos 75,000 as when they replace the roof they'd like to put in some concrete posts to hold it in place next time.

Does anyone know of any other places/organistations I could try for help?

smokey    19,737

gee and just think other countries gave over 500,000,000 dollars to help guess 1/2 billion dollars don't go as far as it used to

easy44    5,217

Check with you Barangay Captain about availability of DSWD money. They are offering 10k to persons with houses that were partially damaged and 30k to those with completely damaged homes. Extent of damage somewhat a judgement call depending on who is deciding. This is an ongoing program and some areas have already had funds disbursed, but you need to check to find out. Your wife's relatives should have already been advised.

colemanlee    17,427

I just checked with my wife to see if any family has gotten any money yet, both of her sisters live over by the bay in Tacloban and the houses were completely destroyed...she said its given out brngy by brngy and as of yet they did not receive any pesos....however there is a rumor that they will get 30k.

I have not paid any attention to whats being given out in the brngy I live in...mainly because during the months after Yolanda they would regularly skip our house on the basis an American lived there and did not need any relief.   Im sure somebody will avail their self of anything earmarked for us..

easy44    5,217

I just checked with my wife to see if any family has gotten any money yet, both of her sisters live over by the bay in Tacloban and the houses were completely destroyed...she said its given out brngy by brngy and as of yet they did not receive any pesos....however there is a rumor that they will get 30k.

I have not paid any attention to whats being given out in the brngy I live in...mainly because during the months after Yolanda they would regularly skip our house on the basis an American lived there and did not need any relief.   Im sure somebody will avail their self of anything earmarked for us..

It's not a rumor, it's an ongoing program and yes, it's Barangay by Barangay. Also true that they won't give money if a foreigner is living there. My gf is Bgy. Captain and administering our Barangay. We are part of the city of Villaba and some barangays in the next town, Palompon, have already received their money.

Jawny    3,075

Better late than never...

Anyway we're in Leyte and when it happened I gave some of my relatives some emergency cash basically to repair their roofs... maybe 5k at most

We're in Baybay which is outside the BOX marked for official assistance etc.

Anyway one of my wife's sister's has been waiting for more help to repair their roof - most of their house was destroyed by Yolanda but they rebuilt part of it (to sleep in) and were expecting some kind of official help to rebuild the rest... it hasn't happened... and it doesn't look like it ever will. Sadly when the sister's house roof blew off it hit the brother's house next door and did quite a lot of damage to his house too...

None of my relatives earn enough to fork out for capital projects and I'm not flush enough to splash out on a new roof for them (even if I was it would probably cause a family fight as I'd be being too generous to one etc... zzz)

Anyway I'm going to try applying to my own professional association's benevolent fund as I happened to read the other day that they helped someone after Yolanda...

I suspect the total amount required would be circa Pesos 75,000 as when they replace the roof they'd like to put in some concrete posts to hold it in place next time.

Does anyone know of any other places/organistations I could try for help?

I assume you mean the you would be the one doing the asking. Unfortunately, that will likely not get the results you hope for. If there is a foreigner involved, there is a general expectation that the foreigner has access to funds. In my barangay, any time there is a distribution of some welfare, our household is always skipped. We are not particularly offended, but it does make us feel we are excluded unless there is a desire for us to give, not get.

I believe there are a fairly wide variety of charitable groups that have set up shop in Ormoc city. They can be spotted by the new vehicles they drive with their charity logo and the "Do Not Delay" signs (a year plus after Yolanda). I see them all the time, bit have not paid much attention.

The way charity is distributed here is typically at the Barangay level, so no matter how the solicitation occurs, it is the barangay that will control the distribution.

The situation you described is pretty common, sad to say. My own family had similar situations and got little or nothing from the barangay. Many of the families used the damaged roofing materials as a source for their repairs. That is mostly gone now, or at least I don't see piles of the roofing scrap any more.

+Monsoon    27,630

They shouldn't hold their breath. A friend of mine works to administer grant money given by a major government to the Philippines for a disaster that happened about 5 or 6 years ago. I can't give too many details here but lets just say that the so called 'emergency relief (something)' that was supposed to be done is STILL not done. This should have been completed within a few months after the disaster. 

He cuts the checks, all the Philippines needs to do is tick the boxes (basically anti corruption and get the contractors to meet basic quality standards) - those people are still waiting and the money is still sitting there. 

The Philippines knows how to screw things up like no other.

• Like 1

quit_yume    1,002

considering the vulnerable location tacloban is in i am surprised that any funds would be available to rebuild in the same spot.

Edited by quit_yume

JohnSurrey    281

If there is a foreigner involved, there is a general expectation that the foreigner has access to funds. In my barangay, any time there is a distribution of some welfare, our household is always skipped. We are not particularly offended, but it does make us feel we are excluded unless there is a desire for us to give, not get.

Actually it's worse than that here... because some of the family have "employment" I (the kano) don't even come in to it!

I cannot imagine they will ever get anything via the Barangay not when we know the local Government used the rice that was meant for the victims of Yolanda for monthly bonuses for the government workers...

All very petty here... if the local helpers decide you "don't really need help because you're not that poor or something" then you just don't get a tick in the box... I think one year one of my relatives went and complained to the Town Hall and they eventually got some help but then they were "embarrassed" about making a fuss... so discouraged from complaining again - it's the "We're just quiet here... we don't want to make trouble" because they then get looked down on by others...

Dublin boy    386

All that money from around the world billions and all that time ago. Some people must be very rich by now it's disgusting and no country that donated has even asked for justification on the money spent.

I just hope and pray this never happens again as I'm sure the rest of the world will just look on next time.

• Like 2