• 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics
  • Local time: 09:24 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 August 2008 - 9:40 AM

Hi All, just a simple inquiry,

When shipping a vehicle from Cebu to Manila [Mitsubishi FB van] Can the owner of the van have unrestricted access to the van during the journey?, plus, does anyone know the approximate time it would take from loading in Cebu to unloading in Manila?
[ the reason for access to the Van, is that dogs will be on board]

Thanks
John

#2 Markham

Markham
  • Banned
  • 3,396 posts
  • 1267 thanks
  • 162 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

I would think that would be highly unlikely, on safety and security grounds. Cargo spaces are not friendly places to be when the hatches are battened-down and the ship is at sea - believe me on this! In my early days at sea, I had to regularly check the lashings on ship-loads of cars being transported from Japan to Europe and can attest to the fact that holds are dangerous places to be, even in calm waters.

I would advise against leaving dogs in your van for that period of time: it will be very hot, dark and airless in the hold. Much better to enquire if the ship provides kennels for dogs in transit. Whilst this will be more expensive, at least your dogs will be in a cooler place and you may be able to have access to them during the trip. You may find that the shipping company will advise or require your dogs to be lightly sedated for the voyage - this is a good idea since it will help prevent distress and also alleviate any nuisance to other passengers. If your dogs are well-behaved and fully house-trained, why not enquire if they can be accommodated in a cabin?

Mark

Edited by Markham, 09 August 2008 - 11:10 AM .

#3 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite Member
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

I would think that would be highly unlikely, on safety and security grounds. Cargo spaces are not friendly places to be when the hatches are battened-down and the ship is at sea - believe me on this! In my early days at sea, I had to regularly check the lashings on ship-loads of cars being transported from Japan to Europe.

I would advise against leaving dogs in your van for that period of time: it will be very hot, dark and airless in the hold. Much better to enquire if the ship provides kennels for dogs in transit. Whilst this will be more expensive, at least your dogs will be in a cooler place and you may be able to have access to them during the trip. You may find that the shipping company will advise or require your dogs to be lightly sedated for the voyage - this is a good idea since it will help prevent distress and also alleviate any nuisance to other passengers.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I didn't think that it would be possible, I'm just doing some ground work on the logistics, I've know wish to sedate the dogs and I wont crate them for a flight, the idea of traveling with them in the van seem plausible, but clearly it's not, so Its back to the drawing board, our dogs are our priority so we can change our plans.

thanks John

#4 Markham

Markham
  • Banned
  • 3,396 posts
  • 1267 thanks
  • 162 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Here's another thought ... Island-hop using the smaller Ro-Ros. Friends tells me that it is possible to "drive" from Cebu to Manila using the national highways and Ro-Ros. The crossings will be shorter and it may work out more expensive but at least you will be able to exercise your dogs - and allow them to relieve themselves - more regularly.

Mark

#5 twostrokes

twostrokes
  • Elite Member
  • 641 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • 15 topics
  • Local time: 08:24 AM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 09 August 2008 - 7:00 PM

I agree with Mark. You could make it a "fun trip" bringing your dogs along for the ride....Might even get to see
some country you havn't seen before....I would not want to put my dogs through the alternative unless you could
bring them into your cabin as also mentioned..
jim

#6 Paul

Paul

The Big Fella

• +Founder
  • 32,785 posts
  • 7268 thanks
  • 3,935 topics
  • Local time: 08:24 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 10 August 2008 - 5:28 PM

So far, on every ship or RO-RO I have taken in the country, I have been given access to the vehicle during the voyage, as requested. Most shipping lines employees seem to, or up to my last voyage anyway, be quite helpful and accommodating. I feel as though, if there are dogs on board, they will make it a point to assist you with that.

John, contact the shipping line in question, and ask someone in "Freight" for assistance.

Many shipping lines phone and contact information can be found on my Cebu Boat Trips website.

#7 mikejwoodnz

mikejwoodnz

Erect Member

• Sponsor
  • 1,201 posts
  • 239 thanks
  • 20 topics
  • Local time: 01:24 AM
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I have travelled on the Super Ferry from Manila to Cebu - it is an overnight trip and because of the boarding procedures I think we had to be at the Terminal about 8 am with travel from memory 11:45:00 AM and arrival at Cebu was 10:00:00 AM. We booked the Top Suite but had a very unpleasant trip. We could not get any food as the meals we had paid for with the package were "not available" that trip and we were stopped from going to the public restaurant/bar as we were 1st Class Cabin. Purity managed to sneak out to the the on board Sari-sari and get some beer and snacks :shocked: - the whole trip would take a book to relate the trip and was a very very unpleasant experience perhaps even worse was the hit squad waiting for their prey on arrival in Cebu.

#8 samatm

samatm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,494 posts
  • 576 thanks
  • 208 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 14 August 2008 - 1:38 PM

I have travelled on the Super Ferry from Manila to Cebu - it is an overnight trip and because of the boarding procedures I think we had to be at the Terminal about 8 am with travel from memory 11:45:00 AM and arrival at Cebu was 10:00:00 AM. We booked the Top Suite but had a very unpleasant trip. We could not get any food as the meals we had paid for with the package were "not available" that trip and we were stopped from going to the public restaurant/bar as we were 1st Class Cabin. Purity managed to sneak out to the the on board Sari-sari and get some beer and snacks :thats-funny: - the whole trip would take a book to relate the trip and was a very very unpleasant experience perhaps even worse was the hit squad waiting for their prey on arrival in Cebu.

Thats a shame Mike sorry to hear that. About 10 years ago my wife and I took a great trip on the SuperFerry to Cebu. It was really pleasant. We had the delux suite room ...had access to economy dining if we wanted. We had plenty of food, and decent food and San Migs... Best of all we had private access to the jacuzzi which was topside. They filled the jacuzzi with fresh water once we were well out to sea out side of Manila bay. It was very Romantic be topside in the jacuzzi watching the Islands go by at dusk. After a nice peaceful sleep we were in Cebu in the Morning. I used to always recommend the Superferry If you had the 24 hrs for the trip...So I am sad to hear your report the way things are now!

Hey dont hold back ...lets hear what else happend on your trip!!!! I might want to read that book!

Best,
scott

Scott ... I deleted your double post ...... Mike S

#9 Bukwali

Bukwali
  • Elite Member
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics

Posted 14 August 2008 - 1:55 PM

Thanks all for the replies, our plan was to head up to Baguio, but given the potential troubles with our dogs and the length of travel required, we'll look nearer home, perhaps Valencia?

thanks all

John

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea