Enuff

Balikbayan Boxes very cheap from East Coast USA

80 posts in this topic

Anybody know where to ship boxes from in the Roanoke VA area? I checked that global website and their closest agents are in the DC area.

try looking at the Oriental markets, they typically offer some bb services:

Fresh Oriental Market 2501 Williamson Rd NE, Roanoke 265-6828

J & L Oriental Food Mart 3109 Brambleton Ave, Roanoke 774-8878

Oriental Food Market 1422 Peters Creek Rd NW, Roanoke 562-2069

Taipei Supermarket 3120 Peters Creek Road, Roanoke 265-7190

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Is that box size still the same? 17x18x28?

Seems like an odd size. I'm waiting for an email back from the local global cargo rep so I can bring them some boxes to NC. I guess I can find close to that size somewhere around here.

Is that box size still the same? 17x18x28?

Seems like an odd size. I'm waiting for an email back from the local global cargo rep so I can bring them some boxes to NC. I guess I can find close to that size somewhere around here.

yes, it seems to be the "standard" size box for the NJ area. Both Global Cargo & RDR Cargo use the same size.

They sell the boxes in NJ for $4 each, might be slightly hiring through an agent.

Also the $45 to Visayas is ONLY with drop off in NJ, probably $100 plus to use agent.

Typically I wait until I can stuff 3 or more boxes and make it a worthwhile trip.

I dropped off 4 boxes on Saturday 10/5. They were shipped to port, container stuffed and enroute on 10/11, eta to Manila is 12/01.

Keeping fingers crossed they arrive by Christmas, typically they deliver with 5-7 days of arriving in Manila.

1 person likes this

If I don't get the email back soon I might make that same trip myself tomorrow.

I guess I could just throw everything in my car and go buy their boxes in NJ just to be sure I have the right box lol.

Do you just go to Jersey City or all the way up to Bergenfield?

Thanks for all the info.

If I don't get the email back soon I might make that same trip myself tomorrow.

I guess I could just throw everything in my car and go buy their boxes in NJ just to be sure I have the right box lol.

Do you just go to Jersey City or all the way up to Bergenfield?

Thanks for all the info.

GO TO BERGENFIELD!!!

Jersey City has ZERO parking and traffic like never seen before.

At least in Bergenfield you can park around back, buy the boxes, stuff the boxes them drive them around front.

The street parking moves pretty good and don't worry too much about securing them too much.

As soon as you drop them off they have a dong there to do plastic banding on them.

Be sure to pack them tight, its also a good idea to bring extra, just in case you have room (dollar tree crap works very well)

Untitled.png

1 person likes this

I went to Cleveland, OH, last month.  Looked for a BB Box guy before I went and found Sugarland Food Mart online (http://sugarlandfoodmart.com/sugarland_food_mart).  I called them and spoke to the proprietor and specifically mentioned the DTI article.  He gave me the name of his freight forwarding company, Carl Express (http://carlexpress.com/), so I checked them out, too.  Went down there on a Monday morning and bought a box for 5$ (18" x 18" x 28").  Found the closest WalMart, put the box in a shopping cart and pulled out the honey-get list.  Forty-five minutes and $400 later I was back at Sugarland taping up the box.  Shipping was $105 to Mindanao.  Once I got back to Surigao, I emailed Carl's and asked status.  They were prompt in their reply.  It's on a boat right now and they say I should have it here before Xmas.

The last 5 or 6 boxes I've shipped were out of a gal's garage in Albuquerque, NM.  I found her online.  She's filipina (both parents Pinoy) but has never been to the Philippines and doesn't speak the language.  She uses Forex as her freight forwarder. $5 per box, $120 to ship (18" x 18" x 24").  One thing I learned with this lady and Forex is that the box is the same size as a U-Haul jumbo shipping box.  Being a 3-hour drive from ABQ, I found it much easier to buy U-Haul boxes locally, fill them up and take them down rather than make a separate trip just to get boxes.  She also has a banding tool that she secures the boxes with.  Very nice.  I like Forex because you can track the shipment online.  Carl's doesn't have that option.

I have, in my house, 4 BB boxes waiting for the owner to show up.  He shipped from Johnson City, TN and used LBC.  I'm not sure what he paid for shipping.  LBC has online tracking, too.

BB Box folks are all over the country.  But you have to be diligent and make sure they and their shippers are legit before you go throwing lots of money into them.

GO TO BERGENFIELD!!!

The one in NC called me back and gave me all the info, they use the same boxes so I'm just going to pack up the car and go there. It's 70 a box including the box from NC and I'll save at least 6-7 hours driving. It'll take an extra week to get there though but I don't really have the time. Thanksgiving coming up and I'm flying out on Saturday.

Thanks for all the info though. When we get back to the US we will do it from NJ but I'm just sending 2 boxes. I'll spend the difference on gas unless I find a reason to fill up 2-3 more boxes by tomorrow haha.

yes, it seems to be the "standard" size box for the NJ area. Both Global Cargo & RDR Cargo use the same size.

They sell the boxes in NJ for $4 each, might be slightly hiring through an agent.

Also the $45 to Visayas is ONLY with drop off in NJ, probably $100 plus to use agent.

Typically I wait until I can stuff 3 or more boxes and make it a worthwhile trip.

I dropped off 4 boxes on Saturday 10/5. They were shipped to port, container stuffed and enroute on 10/11, eta to Manila is 12/01.

Keeping fingers crossed they arrive by Christmas, typically they deliver with 5-7 days of arriving in Manila.

4 boxes shipped 10/05

eta to manila was 12/01

all 4 boxes delivered today Sunday 12/11

Christmas has been upgraded to probable

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I turned in my boxes in NC before I flew out at the end of Nov. I'm guessing they got to wherever they ship out from there sometime in the first week of December. The shipper was very nice, ships the boxes out from their home a truckload at a time, once a week. I shipped 4 boxes=300 dollars.

The problem for me is that it's March and I still don't have my boxes. I'll be calling them as soon as I can but I don't like calling people late. I'll just have to wake up at 3-4am in the next day or two.

When I was there I was told that the shipments all go straight to Cebu from the US and should be faster than going through Manila, then to Cebu, and I live here in Iloilo. Maybe it's just slow getting things from Cebu to Iloilo and then delivered across Iloilo to where we live. It's  been 90+ days and I've heard that sometimes it takes longer. I just want to know that my boxes aren't lost so I'll ask for some tracking info.

Posted (edited)

Did they give you tracking numbers?  With most places you can check online if a legit service.

It's possible they've been sitting in Cebu for awhile waiting for a truck to your area to fill up.

To add: look online for a PI phone number for the company, then you're in their time zone.

Edited by cvgtpc1