Canuck Joe

Sending a Box from Philippines to.....

Well in this case to Canada. I only want to send a few but checking with UMAC they don't ship back. Perusing through this forum would suggest it's not worth it.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I used DHL but it wasn't cheap because it went by air. Box weighed about 30 kilos and was delivered in only a few days to Florida. I would assume they also deliver to Canada.

I used DHL but it wasn't cheap because it went by air. Box weighed about 30 kilos and was delivered in only a few days to Florida. I would assume they also deliver to Canada.

Thanks I will check with them, maybe they ship by sea too. I want to send tools so it's not going to be lite. It was easy to get them here....hate to have to start collecting them over again.

Well Joe, now that you have posted this, how about giving us an update on how things are going for you back there.

I want to send tools so it's not going to be lite. It was easy to get them here....hate to have to start collecting them over again.

For ever the oppourtunist, if you ever sell anything decent, please PM me. I am a self confessed toolie!!!! Really want a small metalworking lathe.

For info really, i just sent a 101 yr old vintage bike magneto to a guy in Cairns Australia. Sent it on Monday past at around 4pm (8th) and it is in Cairns Friday night (12th). Box weighed 6.5 kg, we used UPS, and it cost 165 USD for airmail insured for 1500 USD.

Edited by Tinbum

What did that cost you?

It's been awhile. My wife said it was P5,000 but I was thinking it was closer to P8,000.

They droped off the box for free, came back to check it out, tape it shut and pick it up for free. This was in Santa Rosa Laguna.

Well Joe, now that you have posted this, how about giving us an update on how things are going for you back there.

Hey there...it's just ok. Not easy reestablishing after being away so long so many expenses in starting over,but one day at a time I am patient.

For ever the oppourtunist, if you ever sell anything decent, please PM me. I am a self confessed toolie!!!! Really want a small metalworking lathe.

Due to the cost of reverse shipping things I will be selling a bunch of stuff. No lathe but bench Grinder, drill press, air tools etc. I will picture and catalogue stuff and run it through Hellboy on the site here. It pains me to do as most things where my late father's. You can have first dibs if your in the Cebu erea.

During the four years I lived in the Philippines, I had shipped many boxes of personal items to the Philippines via balikbayan at a cost of about $100 each for the Jumbo sized box.  Yes, I could have used a container, but the shipments went at separate times of about 10 boxes each.  I had shipped ALL the things I owned, besides furniture of course, including my home library, etc.  I was planning on staying in Cebu forever.

When I moved back to the U.S, I wanted to ship everything back via ship and I searched for a good solution, but never found it. 

I ended up using the same jumbo boxes, refilling them, and checking them as luggage during my flight back.  I checked 26 pieces of luggage, and the cost was less expensive than going to the Philippines by ship.  I don't remember the exact cost, but I think I paid about $50 per box over my regular luggage allocation.  I don't remember the weight restriction, or if there was any when paying excess baggage fees.  Either way, my boxes weren't weighed.

My point is, if you have moving boxes to ship back to North America, with tools and other items that you're looking to ship by sea, it may be cheaper to fly with them as checked luggage.

• Like 1

During the four years I lived in the Philippines, I had shipped many boxes of personal items to the Philippines via balikbayan at a cost of about $100 each for the Jumbo sized box.  Yes, I could have used a container, but the shipments went at separate times of about 10 boxes each.  I had shipped ALL the things I owned, besides furniture of course, including my home library, etc.  I was planning on staying in Cebu forever.

When I moved back to the U.S, I wanted to ship everything back via ship and I searched for a good solution, but never found it. 

I ended up using the same jumbo boxes, refilling them, and checking them as luggage during my flight back.  I checked 26 pieces of luggage, and the cost was less expensive than going to the Philippines by ship.  I don't remember the exact cost, but I think I paid about $50 per box over my regular luggage allocation.  I don't remember the weight restriction, or if there was any when paying excess baggage fees.  Either way, my boxes weren't weighed.

My point is, if you have moving boxes to ship back to North America, with tools and other items that you're looking to ship by sea, it may be cheaper to fly with them as checked luggage.

I've thought of that as well. I don't have that much. Maybe 2-3 BB size boxes which you can buy at many hardware stores for around P200 each for a really heavy duty one.