Comfy Theme© by Fisana

Photo

What to learn - tagalog or cebuano, dilemma!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics
  • Local time: 05:05 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Staying for a year in 2009, I want to learn the language. But which? My wife speaks tagalog, and doesn't understand cebuano.

So if I learn tagalog in Cebu, how many will understand me down there?
And if I learn cebuano, I cannot speak practise the language with my wife when we return.

What to do?

#2 poby

poby

Born to be mild

• Sponsor
  • 1,257 posts
  • 362 thanks
  • 121 topics
  • Local time: 04:05 PM
  • Location:small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

Staying for a year in 2009, I want to learn the language. But which? My wife speaks tagalog, and doesn't understand cebuano.

So if I learn tagalog in Cebu, how many will understand me down there?
And if I learn cebuano, I cannot speak practise the language with my wife when we return.

What to do?

Maybe encourage your wife to learn Cebuano too. She will pick it up fast and it might be fun practicing on each other.

#3 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,286 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Tagalog if your wanting to learn a language fully, mainly due to the majority of the population of the Philippines speak it even if they dont want to! Its taught in school and a lot of test papers and books are in Tagalog. It irritates the hell out of my wife when people are here speaking Tagalog but when my wife goes to Manila they expect her to speak Tagalog instead of Cebuano. Difference is the majority of people in Cebu speak or at least understand both.

#4 Mike S

Mike S
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,804 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 266 topics

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Well you are going to get a lot of different answers ...... the die-hard trying to learn Cebeans ...... :lol: :lol: ..... are going to tell you YOU HAVE TO LEARN Cebuano ....... and it is the only language fit to speak in the Phils ...... well from my meager experience here of only 3 months ... they understand Tagalog just fine ...... Julie can't speak 3 words of Cebuano and everyone understands her just fine ...... now this point as been brought up before ... the street kids won't as they haven't been to school ..... but neither her nor I need to go into a lengthy conversation with them ..... also as stated in the past some of the taxi drivers may not ...but I will say honestly they understand her and talk to her a lot of times while we are driving ...... all the store clerks understand and will talk to you ....... and it does have it's advantages as you can't understand the sly remarks that maybe made about you with a woman half your age ...... even at the wet market she had no trouble conversing with them ........

So I would say it is up to you guys ...... as she can already speak Tagalog you are at an advantage as only in the southern parts of the Phils do they speak Cebuano ...... most other places speak Tagalog ......... me ....... yes Mr. Lee ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....... I am being hard headed ..... but at my age I can only try and learn ONE language and I prefer Tagalog as more people in the Phils can speak it .....

Now let the debate begin ........... :o :o :P :P :P :P :lol: :o

#5 Aerosick

Aerosick

Pilot Billy

• +Forum Admin
  • 978 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • 126 topics
  • Local time: 01:05 AM
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

Well you are going to get a lot of different answers ...... the die-hard trying to learn Cebeans ...... :lol: :lol: ..... are going to tell you YOU HAVE TO LEARN Cebuano ....... and it is the only language fit to speak in the Phils ...... well from my meager experience here of only 3 months ... they understand Tagalog just fine ...... Julie can't speak 3 words of Cebuano and everyone understands her just fine ...... now this point as been brought up before ... the street kids won't as they haven't been to school ..... but neither her nor I need to go into a lengthy conversation with them ..... also as stated in the past some of the taxi drivers may not ...but I will say honestly they understand her and talk to her a lot of times while we are driving ...... all the store clerks understand and will talk to you ....... and it does have it's advantages as you can't understand the sly remarks that maybe made about you with a woman half your age ...... even at the wet market she had no trouble conversing with them ........

So I would say it is up to you guys ...... as she can already speak Tagalog you are at an advantage as only in the southern parts of the Phils do they speak Cebuano ...... most other places speak Tagalog ......... me ....... yes Mr. Lee ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....... I am being hard headed ..... but at my age I can only try and learn ONE language and I prefer Tagalog as more people in the Phils can speak it .....

Now let the debate begin ........... :o :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :o

After about 10 years of listening to Eda speak both Tagalog & Bisaya with her mom and friends, after listening to The Filipino Channel programs (mostly in Tagalog), I still can't speak a full sentence.

Eda sez it would be easier to learn Tagalog than Bisaya. Especially when Cebuanos make so many "shortcuts" to the words and sentences, you still wouldn't understand quite a bit of what's being said.

When we're watching TFC programs, there are actors from abroad that speak a lot of Taglish. I hear the English line followed by a reply in Tagalog. I ask Eda "what was just said?" She will always immediately translate the English line to English, then jump back into the program.

I know what the English line was, I wanted the Tagalog line translated! What's up with that??? :o

Billy

#6 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,286 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

Now let the debate begin ........... :o :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :o

After about 10 years of listening to Eda speak both Tagalog & Bisaya with her mom and friends, after listening to The Filipino Channel programs (mostly in Tagalog), I still can't speak a full sentence.

Eda sez it would be easier to learn Tagalog than Bisaya. Especially when Cebuanos make so many "shortcuts" to the words and sentences, you still wouldn't understand quite a bit of what's being said.

When we're watching TFC programs, there are actors from abroad that speak a lot of Taglish. I hear the English line followed by a reply in Tagalog. I ask Eda "what was just said?" She will always immediately translate the English line to English, then jump back into the program.

I know what the English line was, I wanted the Tagalog line translated! What's up with that??? :o

Billy

Good point the most important is being able to say in Cebuano "duha Grande Beer" everything else doesnt really matter and becomes a blur.. I cant really comment on reducing the cebuano because my wife will bite my ear.. but i know exactly what you mean.. just as you figure something out there is a short cut that doesnt seem to make sense but people understand it...

#7 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 4,503 posts
  • 847 thanks
  • 779 topics
  • Local time: 03:05 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

First of all, to each his or her own, but since my name was mentioned, I will comment on my reasons why I felt the need to at least understand some Cebuano (I speak very poorly) and my wife speaks, English, Tagalog, Bisayan and understands a lot of words from some of the other islands that she has picked up over the years from family and friends and while working, as I am sure most Filipinos do, but I am also not always with my wife and often have to fend for myslef.

Next, everyone who is educated in the Philippines speaks Tagalog, and many of those who are not, often watch TV and still understand a lot of Tagalog, and which language to learn will all depend on where you are going to live. I personally think that it is a matter of survival if you are going to live in an area where Cebuano is the main language because most of the poor and uneducated people do not speak or understand most Tagalog at all and if you wish to travel around to some of the out areas, you will most likely need to speak some Cebuano to be understood and you will even encounter some within the city who do not understand.

My main reasons.

1. Should someone try to rob you, the person who may try to rob you will most likely not be educated at all and therefore neither you or your lady will know what the heck he is telling you and that might get you, or both of you killed when he demands something (money, ring, watch, cellphone, necklace, earings, ATM card) and you do not know what he is saying and do not react fast enough. He will think she should at least understand and drug addicts do not really think and are in a rush because they are hyped up.

2. When someone is talking about you or talking about what they want to do to you or your lady, you will know before it is done. I personally have had that happen quite a few times and when I turned around and answered, they knew I was not a tourist and I think it defused the situation. I am not going to go into specifics, but I can tell you all that I am pretty sure it prevented me from being a target of a mugger at least once and a jealous group of males at least a couple of times over the years.

3. People often take advantage of foreigners and believe it or not, Tagalog's are considered to be foreigners in Cebu by some, as are Cebuanos while in the north.

4. And the main reason is, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you or your lady do not wish to learn Cebuano, IMHO, I would suggest that you pick a place to live where Tagalog is the main language because there are many beautiful places in the Philippines besides Cebu where Tagalog is the main language or at the very least totally understood. Now, let me clarify, I am not telling anyone where to live, I am just trying to make sure that no one becomes a casualty and I do not want any hate emails or replies because I am concerned for everyone's safety.

5. It makes the locals feel good when you speak or at least try to speak their language.

And last, last, Mike S, I cannot see why saying Jesus Mary and Joseph in Tagalog would scare anyone including beggars away, but who the heck am I :as-if: :rolleyes: anyway and I am pretty sure they might have understood Hindi, but the tone of our voice is always a good give away to how we feel. BTW, I was talking about susmariajosep which I believe is short for Jesusmariajosep.

Edited by Mr. Lee, 13 July 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#8 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:12 AM

So I would say it is up to you guys ...... as she can already speak Tagalog you are at an advantage as only in the southern parts of the Phils do they speak Cebuano ...... most other places speak Tagalog ......... me ....... yes Mr. Lee ...... :rolleyes: :as-if: :lol: ....... I am being hard headed ..... but at my age I can only try and learn ONE language and I prefer Tagalog as more people in the Phils can speak it .....

Now let the debate begin ........... :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the debate guys, I guess I'll start with tagalog, and try to pick up cebuano later, if there 's more room in my brain!

PH

#9 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 4,503 posts
  • 847 thanks
  • 779 topics
  • Local time: 03:05 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:20 AM

So I would say it is up to you guys ...... as she can already speak Tagalog you are at an advantage as only in the southern parts of the Phils do they speak Cebuano ...... most other places speak Tagalog ......... me ....... yes Mr. Lee ...... :rolleyes: :as-if: :lol: ....... I am being hard headed ..... but at my age I can only try and learn ONE language and I prefer Tagalog as more people in the Phils can speak it .....

Now let the debate begin ........... :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the debate guys, I guess I'll start with tagalog, and try to pick up cebuano later, if there 's more room in my brain!

PH

You might ask your lady to try to learn some Cebuano and you might want to at least pick up some key words and phrases, such as ako dili kasabot, I do not understand in Cebuano and believe me, I say that a lot when talking to our family.

As for Mike S comment that only the southern part of the Philippines speaking Cebuano, look at a map and everything from and around Cebu and down, and you decide for yourself of its importance since it looks to me to be more than half the country.

http://www.gov.ph/aboutphil/bigmap.asp

Edited by Mr. Lee, 13 July 2008 - 03:36 AM.

#10 Panserhansen

Panserhansen
  • Sponsor
  • 821 posts
  • 261 thanks
  • 184 topics

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:49 AM

You might ask your lady to try to learn some Cebuano and you might want to at least pick up some key words and phrases, such as ako dili kasabot, I do not understand in Cebuano and believe me, I say that a lot when talking to our family.

As for Mike S comment that only the southern part of the Philippines speaking Cebuano, look at a map and everything from and around Cebu and down, and you decide for yourself of its importance since it looks to me to be more than half the country.

http://www.gov.ph/aboutphil/bigmap.asp

I know, it's not easy. Both of us will hopefully pick up words and phrases. This is difficult, I like Cebu and would probably want to retire there sometime - but her philippine friends in Norway mostly speak tagalog.

PH

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea