• Inactive Member
  • 965 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 10 topics
  • Local time: 11:44 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

10) many will argue this point, but they haven't fished with me yet....LOL Great Sport Fishing can be found all over the Philippines, and YES, even on the western side of Cebu in the Tanon Straits.

@Cebuned or anybody who knows more about fishing in cebu:
First time I was in Cebu I went fishing a few times with cebu-diving I believe now called K.I Marine Sports Center.
I was not impressed with the success of the fishing trips, although they did some nice excursions also and the girls liked it.
Second time only diving.
Now, the third time, my gf is asking me if we can go fishing again (which is really sweet of her, because she knows I love fishing) but I'm a bit reluctant. Last time we didn't even catch anything bottom fishing near the reef. Something that just shouldn't happen in my eyes.
So where can I book an affordable fishing trip with some guys who know what they are doing in Cebu (or Moalboal, where we will stay the first 5 days)?

#2 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • Local time: 05:44 PM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 09 July 2008 - 2:22 AM

I met an American guy at the Cebu Yacht Club that knows the fishing well. He goes often! If Cebuned (the expert) does not have a reccomendation, I will track down Steve's number for you!

#3 Cebuned

Cebuned
  • Elite Member
  • 1,241 posts
  • 253 thanks
  • 73 topics
  • Local time: 10:44 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 3:38 AM

10) many will argue this point, but they haven't fished with me yet....LOL Great Sport Fishing can be found all over the Philippines, and YES, even on the western side of Cebu in the Tanon Straits.

@Cebuned or anybody who knows more about fishing in cebu:
First time I was in Cebu I went fishing a few times with cebu-diving I believe now called K.I Marine Sports Center.
I was not impressed with the success of the fishing trips, although they did some nice excursions also and the girls liked it.
Second time only diving.
Now, the third time, my gf is asking me if we can go fishing again (which is really sweet of her, because she knows I love fishing) but I'm a bit reluctant. Last time we didn't even catch anything bottom fishing near the reef. Something that just shouldn't happen in my eyes.
So where can I book an affordable fishing trip with some guys who know what they are doing in Cebu (or Moalboal, where we will stay the first 5 days)?

Til,

I'm no expert, but I do have alot of experience on the water and most of that spending fishing, sport, commercialy, and recreational. I cannot comment on the waters near Mactan ( Western coast of Cebu). I have over the years shipped and carried my personal fishing gear to our place in Toledo City, Cebu ( East Coast ).....I've fished from Toledo down to Moalboal. In Moalboal itself, you get mostly dirty looks when it comes to fishing or even the mention of fishing. Moalboal is a divers paradise and I respect them for that. But the fishing is good there. Just south of Toldedo City, are some reef areas that I have explored and fished. I've caught my share of Grouper and Barracuda, both for sport and table fare.....

As for Charters, good luck, I've never been able to find a good one or one that got my money anyways. After just talking to some, I could tell right away that they hadn't a clue.

The best fishing in the Philippines is to be found in Sarigao ( spelling ) my next visit, I'm heading there myself.

Having a boat of your own and fishing gear would be a start. I don't have a boat in Cebu, so I usually just hire a local fisherman for the day to take me out to the reefs and then I enjoy myself. Every fisherman who's taken me out, seems to have more fun than I do. They get a kick out of the whole scene.

My DREAM: To own and run a fishing charter myself someday in Cebu. My biggest concern, once it started working for me, some Politican would find out about it and put the bracks on it, JUST BECAUSE...

If we are ever there at the same time, in CEBU, your free to join me on any outtting I may go on.

Ned

#4 caloy

caloy
  • Sponsor
  • 1,049 posts
  • 76 thanks
  • 13 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 09 July 2008 - 1:59 PM

Surigao.... It is facing the Pacific that is why is it good there. Leyte is also a viable spot.

#5 til

til
  • Inactive Member
  • 965 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 10 topics
  • Local time: 11:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 3:28 PM

Yeah, I was looking at Siargao (which is an Island in the province of Surigao) for the first trip next year. I hope to do some serious fishing there.
Well maybe i will just drop the fishing for this visit, seems that around cebu(city) it just isn't all to good.
@ned:
So when will you be in cebu again? I'm sure it would be fun to go on a fishing trip. I'm in Cebu 26th July to 8th august and then in 2009 30th jan to 14th feb or so.
@bob:
Steve isn't by chance british actually? Because if he is, he must be the owner of "Blue Sky Sportfishing"(got a website), but 50$ per hour + gas and food is just to much for me at the moment unless I would find 2 or 3 guys to share into that.

Edited by til, 09 July 2008 - 3:37 PM .

#6 kc8ual

kc8ual

kc8ual

• Inactive Member
  • 821 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • 82 topics
  • Local time: 06:44 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 8:30 PM

Surigao.... It is facing the Pacific that is why is it good there. Leyte is also a viable spot.

Surigao is definitely a good place. They had an international sport fishing competition there a month or so ago. There is some good sized Marlin (blue, black and white) found in the area. Also good travally and sailfish in the area too. If you want to go for some Jack, then you can try up in the Batangas area, as far as in and around Cebu.... Bantayan Island used to be good (about 10 years ago) but as far as I have heard the sport fishing around the northern tip of Cebu is null.

There is a good spot down by Dumaguette, about 25 kilometers due East of the straights between Cebu and Dumaguette.

As compared to fishing in the Gulf of Mexico though, I am not too impressed but it is still fun.

The country record was a 800+ pound black Marlin caught down by Surigao. Barracuda is not uncommon and many people fish for them here. Trevally is good, and from time to time you might get lucky and haul in a small tuna.

On average though... Around Cebu the most you will haul is a 40 pound Sailfish.

Get a hold of me closer to when you get here. My sport fishing club (Sport Fishing Club of Cebu) is expecting to go out several times a month saltwater fishing, as well as freshwater fishing down in CarCar at the damn (Snakeheads will give you the heavy jevies the first time you reel one in). Tackle here is cheap too. Matter of fact just picked me up a new 25 pound tackle set today:

25lbs rod 7'6" 2 piece P640
25lbs reel 10 ball bearings w/bait runner and a 120 meter spool P1,350
500 meters 25lb 0.30mm copolymer line P330
Miscellaneous soft and hard lures for fresh and saltwater plus some new weights, leaders, swivels and bobbers.

The whole thing only set me back P2,500

We are also working with CarCar to bring in about 2000 Large Mouth Bass fry for the damn :D

-Nick

Edited by kc8ual, 09 July 2008 - 8:32 PM .

#7 Mike S

Mike S
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,804 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 266 topics

Posted 09 July 2008 - 9:06 PM

Great on the sport fishing but what about fish to eat ...... tuna ..... mackerel ...... grouper ...... mahi-mahi .... tilapia ..... and others ....... as far as fresh water fish go most of the rivers I have seen are way to polluted to have anything survive ...... but would like to know if fresh water fish do survive ..... no carp please .lol.. :D :lol:

#8 kc8ual

kc8ual

kc8ual

• Inactive Member
  • 821 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • 82 topics
  • Local time: 06:44 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

Ok, for saltwater sportfishing, we have tuna (skipjack, yellowfin, bullet and frigate), mullet, Pacific Sailfish, Pacific Black & Pacific Blue Marlin, Giant Trevally, Sailfish, Wahoo, Narrow-barred Mackerel, King Mackerel, Dorado and Barracuda

Blue Marlin
Caught 3 miles east of Susay Rock, San Vicente, Cagayan Philippines
Weight: 236.84 kilograms or 522 lbs.

-Nick

#9 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Great on the sport fishing but what about fish to eat ...... tuna ..... mackerel ...... grouper ...... mahi-mahi .... tilapia ..... and others ....... as far as fresh water fish go most of the rivers I have seen are way to polluted to have anything survive ...... but would like to know if fresh water fish do survive ..... no carp please .lol.. :D :lol:

The tuna (bariles) are being over fished in any number of ways including many boats from other countries that are either fishing illegally, or paying off local officials. The main area where Tuna can be found is General Santos, but the schools are getting smaller every year.

Mackerel (tulingan, anduhaw, tanguige) are found in numerous varieties. They too are being over fished, but this is mainly by the locals since mackerel is not as popular in some other countries because of it's high oil content.

Grouper (lapu-lapu) are once again heavily fished. Both cyanide fishing and dynamite fishing have decimated their numbers.

Mahi-Mahi (Mahimahi, Hawaiian for dolphin-fish, but canít think of the local name) are fairly fished out, but pockets still remain as I see them in the market from time to time.

Tilapia is a fresh water fish mainly raised on fish farms in recent years.

#10 mattwilkie

mattwilkie
  • Elite Member
  • 1,286 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • 60 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

The tuna (bariles) are being over fished in any number of ways including many boats from other countries that are either fishing illegally, or paying off local officials. The main area where Tuna can be found is General Santos, but the schools are getting smaller every year.

Mackerel (tulingan, anduhaw, tanguige) are found in numerous varieties. They too are being over fished, but this is mainly by the locals since mackerel is not as popular in some other countries because of it's high oil content.

Grouper (lapu-lapu) are once again heavily fished. Both cyanide fishing and dynamite fishing have decimated their numbers.

Mahi-Mahi (Mahimahi, Hawaiian for dolphin-fish, but canít think of the local name) are fairly fished out, but pockets still remain as I see them in the market from time to time.

Tilapia is a fresh water fish mainly raised on fish farms in recent years.

Global problem, i used to do a lot of sea fishing before off the UK coast but its pointless its trawled to death. The best fishing if ever in the UK is to head off the coast of the Hebredian Islands of Scotland. The rocks make it unpopular for trawling and full of all sorts of fish due to its location. Ive been searching for good locations around Cebu, maybe ill meet up with you sometime Nick. I need to get some rods the ones ive seen here so far just havent been worth the money. Although might just search around on the net for some second hand ones in the forsale ads in a couple of the local sites.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea