• Elite Member
  • 599 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 61 topics
  • Local time: 11:40 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 02 June 2008 - 8:56 AM

Just a little bit of information, My RP Driving license was up for renewal early last month, as we know longer own a car I was reluctant to renew it, but then remembering the hassle that you have to go through to get an RP license issued, i decided that I would renew it.

After talking to the LTO officers at SM, It seems you can renew your license at any time within a period of two years from the date of expiry, of course the license is invalid during this time.

When you renew you wont have to go to your LTO office and start the whole application procedure and mock tests etc, you just need to to provide you old license and pay a fine of 30 php [yes 30] for each year since the expiry date, then its the normal renewal procedure.

So if any of you guys are out of country and your RP License is due for renewal don't panic.

John

#2 Mik

Mik
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,883 posts
  • 199 thanks
  • 135 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 21 August 2008 - 4:05 PM

I just renewed my driver's license at SM today. This was my first renewal. It was already 5 months expired so it is now valid for 2 years 7 months until my birthday in 2011. It's a hassle to renew. I got to LTO in SM at 10:15 and was finished at 2:15. Less 1 hour for lunch that adds up to 3 hours to renew. Most of the time I was standing, but sometimes I got lucky enough to sit down. It was like how many people can you fit into a closet. It was crowded like sardines in a can. The urine test was P350 and the renewal fee was around P278. Be sure to bring your reading glasses with you because the forms have small print. I should have put a note in their suggestion box to make the opening in the plastic test bottle a little bigger. It really tests your marksmanship. One more thing, disregard the rumor that one of the LTO girls has to witness you giving the sample - not true. Actually the urine test is pretty worthless. A drug user could just substitute a clean sample in place of his contaminated one.

Next time I renew my license I will get the forms on a prior visit to SM and fill them out at home. Then I will take the completed forms back to LTO and be at their door when they open at 10 am. That way I will get a jump on the urine test line (which took the most time). The actual license renewal part only took about 30-45 minutes.

Mike in Cebu

#3 Bet_Busta

Bet_Busta
  • Elite Member
  • 1,465 posts
  • 154 thanks
  • 17 topics
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 21 August 2008 - 5:01 PM

One more thing, disregard the rumor that one of the LTO girls has to witness you giving the sample - not true. Actually the urine test is pretty worthless. A drug user could just substitute a clean sample in place of his contaminated one.

Mike in Cebu

When I took the test last June, the CR door was kept open to ensure sample was really mine.
Maybe they were not strict with you because...you know....Filipinos have high respect for older people. :biggrin_01: :huh: :D

Total process was less than 2 hours.

Edited by Bet_Busta, 21 August 2008 - 5:02 PM .

#4 Aerosick

Aerosick

Pilot Billy

• +Forum Admin
  • 979 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • 126 topics
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 21 August 2008 - 8:46 PM

...the CR door was kept open to ensure sample was really mine.

Same with me. Even though there were clear skies, I saw flashes of light reflecting from the white walls of the CR...

:o

Billy

#5 twostrokes

twostrokes
  • Elite Member
  • 641 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • 15 topics
  • Local time: 10:40 PM
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1:09 PM

After talking to the LTO officers at SM, It seems you can renew your license at any time within a period of two years from the date of expiry, of course the license is invalid during this time.

So if any of you guys are out of country and your RP License is due for renewal don't panic.

John

Mine expired in 1995 or thereabouts...so I guess it is a little past the 2 year mark.....Probably can't renew...will have to
start over when I get here....lol
Jim

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea