• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikesaw

moving after 5 more years......

29 posts in this topic

He could certainly open a business which focuses on legal process outsourcing, putting his legal experience to work, and in fact own 100% of that business. 

I would agree except that he is a lawyer providing legal advice so there are probably specific laws around that, but I don't know.  Sometimes governments get really picky about who is providing legal advice to people.

I would agree except that he is a lawyer providing legal advice so there are probably specific laws around that, but I don't know.  Sometimes governments get really picky about who is providing legal advice to people.

Well you would be wrong there.

Doesn't matter if he is a high school drop out or a law professor. He can own a company providing LPO. 

The problem though if he were a high school drop out, he could have a problem securing a 9G visa to run his own company. But nothing that couldn't be sorted with some pictures of dead presidents. In any case the OP clearly has an advanced degree and wouldn't have a problem securing a 9G to run his duly registered company. Although with a Filipina spouse he doesn't need a 9G.

Clearly you haven't run or aren't knowledgeable about running a BPO company in the Philippines. 

Doesn't matter if he is a high school drop out or a law professor. He can own a company providing LPO. 

So you think a medical Doctor from US can just go to Cebu, setup a business and start performing operations with nothing more than business permit?

Most countries have certain types of work that are highly regulated and require more than the baseline business permit to perform the services.  Medical procedures, legal work, and tax advice are typically the type of service businesses that require that extra level of licensing and government aproval.

However, you sound like you've got the entire business scene in the Philippines solidly under your belt, so if you say a lawyer from another country can go the Cebu, get a business permit and start providing legal advice then I'm sure it will be fine.

Clearly you haven't run or aren't knowledgeable about running a BPO company in the Philippines

You could be right, I only sat around and got drunk for years while there.  I mostly kept my nose deep in p*ssy and rum bottles and know very little about setting up a business, having employees, dealing with permits, and other such dealings.  After all, who goes to the Philippines to setup a business?  Everyone knows the reason men go to the Philippines and it has very little to do with setting up a business.

So you think a medical Doctor from US can just go to Cebu, setup a business and start performing operations with nothing more than business permit?

Very poor analogy. You should do some reading about LPO (legal process outsourcing) which is what I cited in my original post. 

To carry on that theme, yes, a medical doctor could turn up in Cebu (or anywhere in the Philippines) and open a business doing medical process outsourcing. Clearly you don't get the premise of my original post. But if you care to do some research and bring forward some specific questions regarding the industry and how it works, Ill be glad to do me best at answering those questions. 

, legal work, and tax advice are typically the type of service businesses that require that extra level of licensing and government aproval.

All of those are currently being done in the Philippines in the BPO environment in various forms. Particularly the accounting / tax stuff. Lots of that going on. In fact, if I choose to stay here, I will probably start yet another BPO company, make it successful doing just that, and sell it again. 

I deleted 'medical procedures' so that I wouldn't mislead anyone to believe that a foreigner could come here and perform surgery (although I have picked up and delivered several dentists and medical doctors at the airport when i lived in a certain provence here, who did come here and perform medical procedures, but that was under the charity shield, so lets not get technical). However, there are a lot of medical processes being outsourced here. SHit, the oldest original BPO entity here was a medical process! 

However, there are a lot of medical processes being outsourced here. SHit, the oldest original BPO entity here was a medical process!

Its always good to have such a strong business expert on the forums.  It's not often we get that her.

Hey Paul, can we start a new "how to start a business in the Philippines" section and have Monsoon be the moderator?

Very poor analogy.

I enjoy your personality too.  Keep up the good work.  Just shy of attacking the poster, but not quite.  I'll have to read your back posts to learn more about that as well.

Thanks, and have a "happy holidays".

What the forum needs is a "schoolyard" or a "back alley" where members can duke it out!

It seems strange that people who have no legal background are here telling us what the state of the law is in the Philippines.  Altho I might occasionally do that as regards Canada, and occasionally some US  or UK laws, i would be very reluctant to do so as regards the laws in the Philippines.   

However, if you will reread the OP you will see that he did not ask whether or not he could legally work or run a certain type of business here.  Being a lawyer I assume he has already done his due diligence and knows exactly what he can or can not do .[ If he doesnt then he shouldnt consider carrying on such a business here !]

What the OP did ask was how much money he would need to live a comfortable existence here- nothing more .

I posted this several months ago (in May), but the monthly averages held pretty steady through my departure in October. I hope it helps.

---

I started keeping track of my spending in September. I’ve probably missed a few items here and there, but I think this is nearly complete for the full months October-April. I’ll add a few notes at the bottom. This is the monthly average in pesos for each category:

Groceries – 5,553
Eating out – 2,465
Laundry – 551
Transportation – 873
Entertainment – 1,321
Drinking Water – 233
Rent – 18,000
Clothing – 368
Utilities (Elec/water) – 3,136
Medical – 4,071
Travel – 7,817
Internet – 1,017
Cell – 50
Other – 4,521

Groceries includes anything I buy at the supermarket, so there are some non-food items included there.

Transportation is mostly taxis – I don’t own a vehicle and I walk a lot.

Don’t bother telling me – I know my rent is too high for a small 1br/large studio. If anyone uses this to figure out what Cebu will cost him, you can easily do 3000-5000 or so better than this. I will say that I’m paying for location; being in the center allows me to save on transport because so much is within walking distance, but there are cheaper nice places in my neighborhood (I’m just too lazy to move).

Medical will obviously vary greatly for each of us – I’ve been taking some medication that costs about 3000/month. I’m doing without insurance (fingers crossed).

The travel is distorted a bit by including scuba lessons (because it was in Moalboal).

It totals out to P50,477, or about $1250 – which has allowed me to grow my savings account a bit while I’ve been here. I’ve made no real effort to hold down my spending – though I’m not rich, I have enough income that I could spend more if I wanted to. If I were trying to live on less, I’d find a decent place for 12k or so and cut back in a few other areas, and could probably get it down at least close to P40,000/month without too much pain.

Caveats: I don’t drink or smoke, and I don't hang out at the bikini bars, so my expenses are lower than if I were into that stuff. Also, I'm single -- a live-in girlfriend or wife would no doubt increase my expenses greatly (certainly I would want a bigger place if there were two of us).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert