Sign in to follow this  
fredanna

Bad Transit Operators Exposed

FINALLY there have been enough fatalities of bus loads of passengers, that the Phils government is going to crackdown on the dangerous idiotic bus drivers there.

Latest horrific accident somewhere in Manila. Bus speeding and 18 passengers dead. The driver still alive.

TFC showing typical bus maintenance of bald tires, and other defective equipment.

http://anc.yahoo.com/video/cctv-footage-shows-don-mariano-215648908.html

It was pretty scary while we were there visiting Bohol. Bus is passing on a two-lane road flashing his lights. Like: move over ass-hole I'm passing or you die!!!

Drivers complain about long bus routes to maximize riders, low pay. What??? php 400/day??

They should be licensed as commercial drivers in USA....CDL and DOT health inspections......drug testing, etc etc

Fred

There is very little proactive enforcement of anything here.  Only after the blood has been spilled, are things looked at. The real purpose is to get a news headline of "Look We Are Doing SOMETHING". 

In the USA, as a commercial driver, you are responsible for the operation of your vehicle.  If it is unsafe you don't take it on the road period,  because if there is a problem and you knew about it, you will be tried for it.  Here I'm thinking if you don't drive the bus or truck, they will find someone who will.  There is always a cutthroat out there ready and willing because "they gotta eat".

In an honorable world, this driver would find the highest building of at least 40 feet, and jump. 

• Like 1

There is always a cutthroat out there ready and willing because "they gotta eat".

What a lame excuse, eh?

Been like this for many years.  A spate of accidents, a knee-jerk response and then after a few weeks everything returns to what it was before.  Drove from Cebu to Sogod a couple of days ago - crazy bus and truck drivers all the way there and back.  Seems like the regulators know what they should do - take the company owners to court and close them down if necessary - but then transport over the whole country will grind to a halt and that will be a political no-no. So you pays your money and takes your chances!

• Like 2

I was unable to open the link the OP referred to. However, it was most likely a report of the knee jerk response to these sorts of tragic events. Regretably, there will not likely ever be a change to the poor driving here. The reasons are a lengthy list of why things just don't get fixed....cultural, financial, political and so on. Bottom line is shit happens on the roads and if you choose to live or visit here, be prepared for the worst case scenario.

What has made things worse is the increased amount of traffic on highways which are forever playing a catchup game of improvement. In my rural area, the national highway is being widened. It is a bizarre effort, since some portions are widened one lane, others two lanes. None of the many bridges will be changed so there will be an interesting ebb and flow as traffic uses the extra space but comes together at the bridges.

Where the highway has already eben widened, the locals have fond an excellent use for the extra pavement. They dry their rice and copra on it, using large stones to hold the tarps in place. Some of the scrap dealers have simply expanded their work space to now include the widened road. So, even the best intentions don't end up accomplishing what was intended.

Those of you who live in cities can be glad you have newer vehicles and some degree of traffic control. In the past decade, I have only seen the police set up roadblocks to check the licenses and registration of motorcycle drivers. You can alwasy know when they are do it as the drivers who would fail simply park alongside the road and wait till they leave. Hundreds of them. Buses here are older than me.

• Like 1

I have seen the Bus drivers here , The buses are old outdated and just  enough money is put into them to keep them running  if that,. Keep in mind as you know the Philippines is the Philippines reacted as things happen not propactive way, foresee problems and take  actions to remove or min the problem. Yes i would like the bus drivers Picture and Name posetd in the bus and have the police check for them comming and going out of the Bus station close to City Link. That   way as least the people or police could find the driver if he tried to get away or i sure if there was a wreck he would be running to get help and might forget his way back to the the bus wreck. Yes that has happend as per the people told me so. I will take there word on that.

come on lets see the fare is so frigging cheap can you really expect nice buses ,,,, everyone complains dam west charges to much at least here its very cheap well cheap comes with a price and we pay for what we get 

Yes you pay for what you get. How mush is the fare from say Toledo City to Cebu City not sure i think its like 30 or 40 Peso i think very cheap comes with a price that might be your life.

come on lets see the fare is so frigging cheap can you really expect nice buses ,,,, everyone complains dam west charges to much at least here its very cheap well cheap comes with a price and we pay for what we get 

Price here is the same price as a bus ride in my home town to go anywhere in the network. It's probably cheaper. Plus, you can transfer buses at no additional charge. It'd cost a pretty penny here to ride an aircon bus for 60KM or more. It'd only be 75 pesos for me.

Difference is, commercialized bus services vs government ran bus services. If the government is providing the bus services it doesn't matter if the bus is empty or only has a few passengers on it. It can continue running and have a properly timed schedule as drivers are paid a flat rate and need to be at places at a certain time which is pre-calculated. If they arrive early, they know the bus was in a hurry, and if they arrive late then the bus driver was probably d*cking around.

Cameras, and speed/gps logging on all of the buses would also probably help.

If the government wanted to do something about it they could just require / put a revolution limiter on the engine so the bus is incapable of going about XX speed. To test if it's on there or not someone just needs to gas the engine in neutral to see where the RPM indicator stops. Could be tested at every station.

Edited by senseless

The Philippines needs a DOT enforcement unit. But they don't even have a regular law enforcement unit that works so don't hold you breath. Its not just buses, but trucks are mostly death on wheels. They are poorly maintained, improperly loaded and I know two people who have been rear ended by trucks that lost their brakes. What are the odds of that?!?! They are both lucky to be alive. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert