Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BB-Gun

Renting out property is furnished or unfurnished the norm?

30 posts in this topic

There is a market for small studio condos like in the IT Park area and Winland for short term renal (4-6 months) and most renters do look for minimal furnishings. At minimum stove, ref, aircons beds  and small hot water shower heater.  With such you can get a higher than average unfurnished price AND in places like Winland and LaGuardia Flats you do not have to worry about move outs with your doors and AC and sinks, etc.  Remember IF your or your agent screens renters well there should be no problem.  Would I rent to 4 itinerant Nigerians who arrive with only a back pack between them - NO - but Japanese who are "Neat nicks" or others (I prefer non westerners) are OK.  The short term individual(s) do not want to buy everything and will pay a higher rental for a minimally furnished place. Have had MORE problems in house rentals in other countries than condo rentals at least that is my experience.

mine cost 45K .  Thats not so unusual to buy a quality couch .

I guess i am a tight wad, never pay more than P20,000 for anything that will be stained and ratted out within the first year or so.

Sorry, off subject, anyway, I would maybe consider furnishing according to the amount of deposit I received and according to what I thought the renters would be capable of caring for.

Get to know them and try to judge as to whether you can trust them to leave your things behind and in fair condition when they do decide to move out if you do decide to rent it as furnished.

Edited by Brucewayne

Rented the condo I live in furnished, Since it's a studio, there isn't room for much furniture. Mine has electric range/oven with hood, refrigerator, aircon, hot water heater in CR, wall mounted flat screen TV with sky cable, curtains, queen bed, two night stands and small two person dining table with two chairs. I purchased a 5 drawer chest, a water cooler/heater dispenser and computer stand. We are the first tenant as it's a new unit. Everything was new except for the TV which they replaced with a new 32" LED. The 2 hp Kolin aircon was too big for such a small place, loud and had some issues where the compressor would not turn off. They just replaced it with a Carrier 1.5 hp automatic unit that is much quieter and hopefully will be more energy efficient.

My landlord has about 5-6 rentals in Cebu and Manila. He is fantastic. If there is a problem, it gets addressed within hours. 

Edited by Salty Dog
1 person likes this

Who wants to haul all that stuff around if you move... no storage places here dam its hard to find a truck to move with never mind a place to store stuff i say rent furnished and when your ready to buy then furnish it with things you like... When i rented the owner dinged me for a whole patio set because one chair had a crack... some nasty pots that were burned became fine dining wear ... the locals for the most part feel its fine to ding a foreigner they are all rich anyway 

3 people like this

I guess i am a tight wad, never pay more than P20,000 for anything that will be stained and ratted out within the first year or so.

Sorry, off subject, anyway, I would maybe consider furnishing according to the amount of deposit I received and according to what I thought the renters would be capable of caring for.

Get to know them and try to judge as to whether you can trust them to leave your things behind and in fair condition when they do decide to move out if you do decide to rent it as furnished.

I don't think its off topic at all really. We are talking about furnished vs. unfurnished apartments. And for sure that comes down to cost. 

My experience is the furniture  you get in a furnished apartment in the Phiippines is complete shit. If you spend 20k on a couch it will likely be shit after a year or so. I have had one leather couch for 4 years and it still looks pretty much the way it did when it was first delivered. For sure there are no stains on it. I paid quite a bit for that couch, and it has paid off. It was 200k original price but I paid about 100k for it delivered. It was from Italy. 

I recently paid 50k for another leather couch. this one is from Malaysia. Much cheaper. So far so good. In fact, my living room still smells like leather when I walk in. 

The 'cheap' crap that most places try to call furniture won't last long and will look like crap just after normal wear and tear. In fact, this condo I am renting right now came ' furnished' - and that is why I went out and bought the 50k leather couch. The stuff that was here is absolute shit and it is now out on the (covered) porch outside. 

I don't think its off topic at all really. We are talking about furnished vs. unfurnished apartments. And for sure that comes down to cost. 

My experience is the furniture  you get in a furnished apartment in the Phiippines is complete shit. If you spend 20k on a couch it will likely be shit after a year or so. I have had one leather couch for 4 years and it still looks pretty much the way it did when it was first delivered. For sure there are no stains on it. I paid quite a bit for that couch, and it has paid off. It was 200k original price but I paid about 100k for it delivered. It was from Italy. 

I recently paid 50k for another leather couch. this one is from Malaysia. Much cheaper. So far so good. In fact, my living room still smells like leather when I walk in. 

The 'cheap' crap that most places try to call furniture won't last long and will look like crap just after normal wear and tear. In fact, this condo I am renting right now came ' furnished' - and that is why I went out and bought the 50k leather couch. The stuff that was here is absolute shit and it is now out on the (covered) porch outside. 

oh the old buy one Mercedes and drive it for 30 years or buy the cheapest you can find and replace it every 3 years.. making the Mercedes the cheaper buy i have a leather couch and a lazy boy from costco and after 8 years still works well 

oh the old buy one Mercedes and drive it for 30 years or buy the cheapest you can find and replace it every 3 years.. making the Mercedes the cheaper buy i have a leather couch and a lazy boy from costco and after 8 years still works well 

It wouldn't matter whether I bought a million peso couch, my wife's relatives and their children would destroy it in a year or two, tops.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys, your opinions largely confirm my own thinking.

So there are two wall holes for window type airconditioner units.

If rented unfurnished, should I put 2 aircon units in or also leave

that to the prospective tenant?

Cheers

BB

My opinion would be to cut out some plywood and fill the holes and then secure them and caulk it and if a renter wants aircons then take a sizable deposit, raise the rent accordingly and you are all set. Seems lots of people do without aircon and even more will probably have to with the new electric rates. 

It wouldn't matter whether I bought a million peso couch, my wife's relatives and their children would destroy it in a year or two, tops.

well what can i say your blending in ..... i still get a chuckle every time i see some 70 year old foreigner burping a months old baby.... 

3 people like this

well what can i say your blending in ..... i still get a chuckle every time i see some 70 year old foreigner burping a months old baby.... 

That isn't his child, it is his fiance'!