Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkyMan

Ok so driller came yesterday (with pics)

38 posts in this topic

thanks for the pics and it looks like you got some nice land there skyman.

Thanks, and the house is still there. :)

So I finally got hold of the driller at 10 this morning and he said he's waited for his workers and was on his way. It's 10 minutes to my place, 15 if you go the long way. Now I know why he said it would take a month.

Edited by SkyMan
1 person likes this

'thebob', on 11 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me.

I did confirm with the driller that motor was 5HP.  Has a really heavy fly wheel on it too. 

'thebob', on 11 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I would have liked to have seen a picture of the bit.

post-940-0-88540500-1390019311_thumb.jpg

Ok, so back on Memorial Day I posted that the driller had estimated maybe a month.  Yeah right.  Some days they show up to work, mostly not.  Even so I think we've gone past a month of man days already.  I'm paying by the foot so it doesn't matter too much to me but I would like to get this done as there are some other things that need to get done before it's ready for a pump.  A few weeks ago they were down about 100ft and the motor they'd started with wasn't pulling hard enough any more.  It was 5HP which turned 2 belts turning an axle that turned a chain to turn the wench.  So they brought in this one:

post-940-0-73684400-1390020168_thumb.jpgpost-940-0-34150300-1390020243_thumb.jpg

This one is a 230?cc 2cyl motor and the axle has been replaced with a multicab transmission so they can adjust the gearing.

Last month they ran out of pipe about noon and couldn't go further so they left.  I txted the driller to bring more and he brought one the next day but it had no threads on one end and they had a coupling so I had to weld the coupling on for them so they could go on.  A week later, no more pipe so they left.  I txted the driller to bring 3 more which he did the next day but 2 had thread problems.  Then yesterday about noon a belt broke on the motor, water pump I think.  They said they'd be back today with a new belt but no sign yet. 

Anyway, they say they're about 130ft down and no water yet but the drill is coming up very clean so I think they're at least in moister limestone.  They get a laugh when they pull up the drill and I yell Hello down the hole.

That big tarp you see in the pics is over on the side folded up now.  A gust from the winds we've been having took it and pulled up one of the big guud bamboo fence posts it was tied to.  We haven't seen the sun in over a week anyway so they don't need it.

2 people like this

Did you ever reach water and how deep did you go?

Did you ever reach water and how deep did you go?

Near the end of his previous post: 

Anyway, they say they're about 130ft down and no water yet but the drill is coming up very clean so I think they're at least in moister limestone.

4 people like this

Well thanks, That's 10 minutes of my life I will not get back :smile

Seriously, You have a way more patience that I have.

It is interesting seeing the equipment being used, oh so basic.

I say basic, because I spent some time in the Congo on a job, 3 years ago and even they had proper, vehicle mounted drilling rigs

I would be interested if there are bores close by, or is this being done on a wish and a prayer?

Lots of prayer, nearest neighbor is 220 meters away theirs is 205ft.

Edited by SkyMan
2 people like this

Greetings! You said it is near the boundry, what about the 20 Meter set back from a septic?

The septic youir neighbor will put near your well next year because you closed HIS road?

Lots of prayer, nearest neighbor is 220 meters away theirs is 205ft.

Not that there is any guarantee of you hitting it at the same depth, but, is their property about the same elevation as yours? Or, do you know?

Not that there is any guarantee of you hitting it at the same depth, but, is their property about the same elevation as yours? Or, do you know?

We're maybe 10ft higher and on the same ridge.

Greetings! You said it is near the boundry, what about the 20 Meter set back from a septic?

The septic youir neighbor will put near your well next year because you closed HIS road?

His septic will be on the other side of his lot, and He's the one I'm waiting to close the road so I can rebuild my fence on the other side to reclaim it. He's going to put in a common gate and eventually and electronic opener with clickers for all of us.

The plan is for the 3 lots, to remain more of a common compound though there will be fencing to keep the critters under control.

Edited by SkyMan