Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkyMan

Ok so driller came yesterday (with pics)

38 posts in this topic

The drilling was supposed to start Wednesday morning at 9.  I figured maybe 1030.  About 1 I txted and called.  Nothing.  Thursday nothing.  Ok, so Friday was the Typhoon and I didn't expect him then.  He showed up yesterday morning while I was out with some equipment and said they'd be back at 1.  Ha  Back at about 245 to start setting up.  Driller said this is the small unit good for maybe 60 ft although he has 80 feet of drill here.  Says the big one is on a job and will be here next week to go on.  Hmmmmmm

This is the winch unit.  Just a metal spool with 2 belts to the motor at left.  I think he said 5 HP.  The pole on the right is a section of drill.  There was a gate there and bamboo fence to it but Yolanda took that out.  The little shack in the background is my neighbor's to the left and was being scrapped.  The storm helped that along some.  The concrete post to the left of that is my power pole I built 2 years ago to bring power to our house.  The wires run from there underground in GI pipe directly to the guy red shorts, then turns to your right.

SAM_3472_zps49df545d.jpg

SAM_3474_zps9e9eac6d.jpg

The pulley frame is connected to the motor frame and staked down, then a guy climbed up to put the big rope through the pulley.

SAM_3476_zps6c2b7080.jpg

The hole is started but hand with a spud bar and hand shovel.

SAM_3478_zpsf03347d5.jpg

Water is poured in the hole as they drill and also on the rope at the winch.

SAM_3479_zps1b4a8158.jpg

Basically it works like a giant spud bar.  The guy on the left pulls the rope which binds on the winch and pulls the drill up.  Then he releases tension on the rope and the drill drops into the hole aided by the one or two guys throwing the drill down the hole.  Simple but effective.

SAM_3480_zps321448ae.jpg

About quitting time, the one guy is now throwing the drill down squatting.  The bit section is about ten feet.  They have 3 20ft sections of drill (pipe) here and a 10ft section.  I imagine tomorrow (if they come) they will add the 10ft section and go on.  When that is done they'll take the 10ft off and add 20 and continue in that manner until the motor can no longer raise the drill to go deeper.

6 people like this

Um, they are drilling a well right in your drive way, it appears? 

2 people like this

Right, former driveway that is.  That road you see is where the locals were driving across our land because it was the easiest route.  When I bought the land the first step was to clear it and then put fencing up to force them to use the road where they were supposed to go.  We put the gate there though as it was easier for us, however, the gate actually had us driving across the neighbor's lot.  I always knew we'd eventually have to move it and even had a new gate set up when we knew the driller was coming.  We just have to take down a section of fence and the we can use the new gate.  Right now we can still slip by the drilling equipment.

Edited by SkyMan

I chose the spot because it's in an odd shaped corner of the lot.  The lot is mostly square except with a triangle that sticks out there.  That spot is also a meter or so lower there.

You do have fancy stuff in Liloan! It was a 2 or 3 manpower motor for us...otherwise an identical concept

post-15276-0-43304900-1384098051_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

hay it works ..we had one drilled to 93 ft  about three years ago using same type of equiptment.

thanks for the pictures

Edited by towboat72

Thanks for the report. I'm interested in your daily progress. That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me. I would have liked to have seen a picture of the bit. The ones I've seen were made of bearing races braised on the end of the pipe.

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster. That slope will be handy when the slurry puddle starts to form.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the bit. The bar comes to a point and then there are four 'fins' welded on. Looks like the back of a missile.

That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me.

Me too. Maybe I misheard 25 HP.

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster.

I was thinking that too. At some point the guys throwing the drill down may not be required. Edited by SkyMan

thanks for the pics and it looks like you got some nice land there skyman.

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
2 people like this

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster

I was only on site for the start of one of the three wells we drilled. My impression, with the manual model, is that progress tended to slow down as the hole got deeper. With the motor of course, fatigue shouldn't be a factor.

I didn't see the bit at any point - but I did see the 1/4 turn on each drop. The level of skill involved in getting the timing of that 1/4 turn right must be high. 

Years ago I had the opportunity to watch a rig drill a well here in Ontario. 40 feet through 38.5 feet of rock. It took two hours including inserting a 10 foot steel casing in the top of the well. The manual crew did that depth in about 4 days. It took another 6 to get close to 80 feet. No casing of course.