Porkchop
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 8 topics
  • Local time: 03:45 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

Is there a big difference in the education of public vs private?

There is a public elementary school within walking distance of my soon to be home but my wife insist 

that the kids go to private school. 

The issues I have is the location. There are not any that are really that close.

The decision relies in the convenience vs quality of education.

#2 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

You can't trust the internet

• +Global Mod
  • 8,333 posts
  • 2928 thanks
  • 1,096 topics
  • Local time: 02:45 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

The public education system here is HORRIBLE. There are average class sizes of 50+, not enough desks, not enough books, teachers are not paid, enviroment is substandard. Private school with proper additional educational acrivities equals and exceeds western standards for public education. So yes private schooling is a must.
  • Monsoon, Kabisay-an gid and Knowdafish like this

#3 cebubird

cebubird
  • Sponsor
  • 2,070 posts
  • 394 thanks
  • 251 topics
  • Local time: 01:45 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

One thing I have noticed is that both private and public here spend more time playing than studying. I guess when the time comes I will send ours to private, but I seriously doubt that is any better than the average public school in the US, and the "average" there is TERRIBLE, unless one lives in a small town where values are still important.

• samatm, MaKe and KadoKaru like this

#4 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 12,418 posts
  • 4966 thanks
  • 309 topics

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Judging all schools (whether public or private) as one based on individual experience is as big a mistake as saying the weather is always the same in Cebu based on one week's experience.

Most public schools on Cebu are, as Tim said, overcrowded and substandard. Class sizes between 50 and 75 are common with shortages of desks, books and materials. Teachers are responsible for equipping and maintaining their classrooms...on their own peso. I have never heard of teachers not being paid, but there are many instances I know of where administrators stole (forced fees and donations) from teachers. Teachers in public schools are all too often called away from their classrooms with nobody left to supervise the students. Way too much time is spent by teachers and students on frivolous activities like preparing for festivals and performances to make the administrators look good or on religious rituals (yes...they have Catholic Mass in the public schools). Way too little time is spent on basic academics, and most of the time that is spent teaching to the test (so that students will maximize their scores on the grade-level tests).

If you wonder why the majority of Filipinos seem to be under-educated...this is why. On the other hand, there are some select schools that operate totally different from the norm. There is a public elementary school on the CNU campus that only accepts the top 1% of students from other public schools. The student/teacher ratio is much lower than in regular public schools, and student teachers assist the regular teachers in the classroom, which brings the ratio down even further. They don't participate in entertainment activities, and the students are high achievers (if they aren't, they aren't invited back the next year). At the high school level, Science High School is one of the best schools in the country. Again, class sizes are small and students must qualify to attend. Academics are heavily stressed.

On the private schools, there is as much variance in quality of education as there are colors in the rainbow. Some schools are just there to take your money and students are only marginally better off than students in the majority of public schools. Teachers are generally paid less in private schools than in public schools, so there is more turnover than in the public school system (as teachers who can migrate to the public schools). Private schools often accept teachers who have not passed the teacher certification exam, which means the quality may be lower. Some schools only accept certified teachers and pay more to keep them.

Class sizes are much smaller in private schools, and teachers are out of the classroom less frequently, so more teaching is done. Some privates schools participate in festivals and performances. Others don't. Some have excellent curriculums where students can learn. Others don't. With private schools, you really need to do your due diligence as a parent, and don't just put your kids into the first (or cheapest) school. If you fail to do your due diligence, your children will suffer the consequences. There are only a few really good private schools in the Cebu Metro area. Those schools won't ensure that your child will learn, but they will provide them with the opportunity.

Edited by Headshot, 11 August 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• cebubird likes this

If you don't know da rules, please read them.

If you do know da rules, please follow them.

Thanked by 2 Members:
cebubird , Cebudog

#5 dc3driver

dc3driver
  • Sponsor
  • 921 posts
  • 154 thanks
  • 16 topics
  • Local time: 11:45 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Ham Call Sign:DW7EUO

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

My wife, who is a product of the public school system, insisted that our children go to private schools. I bow to her experience on that call.
  • Kabisay-an gid likes this

#6 Porkchop

Porkchop
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • 8 topics
  • Local time: 03:45 AM
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Any  recommendations of a private school near Basak Manduae?

#7 cebubird

cebubird
  • Sponsor
  • 2,070 posts
  • 394 thanks
  • 251 topics
  • Local time: 01:45 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Judging all schools (whether public or private) as one based on individual experience is as big a mistake as saying the weather is always the same in Cebu based on one week's experience.

Most public schools on Cebu are, as Tim said, overcrowded and substandard. Class sizes between 50 and 75 are common with shortages of desks, books and materials. Teachers are responsible for equipping and maintaining their classrooms...on their own peso. I have never heard of teachers not being paid, but there are many instances I know of where administrators stole (forced fees and donations) from teachers. Teachers in public schools are all too often called away from their classrooms with nobody left to supervise the students. Way too much time is spent by teachers and students on frivolous activities like preparing for festivals and performances to make the administrators look good or on religious rituals (yes...they have Catholic Mass in the public schools). Way too little time is spent on basic academics, and most of the time that is spent teaching to the test (so that students will maximize their scores on the grade-level tests).

If you wonder why the majority of Filipinos seem to be under-educated...this is why. On the other hand, there are some select schools that operate totally different from the norm. There is a public elementary school on the CNU campus that only accepts the top 1% of students from other public schools. student/teacher ratio is much lower than in regular public schools, and student teachers assist the regular teachers in the classroom, which brings the ratio down even further. They don't participate in entertainment activities, and the students are high achievers (if they aren't, they aren't invited back the next year). At the high school level, Science High School is one of the best schools in the country. Again, class sizes are small and students must qualify to attend. Academics are heavily stressed.

Just wondering if there is more than one Science High School as we have a worker with a son in the Science High school here in argao.

On the private schools, there is as much variance in quality of education as there are colors in the rainbow. Some schools are just there to take your money and students are only marginally better off than students in the majority of public schools. Teachers are generally paid less in private schools than in public schools, so there is more turnover than in the public school system (as teachers who can migrate to the public schools). Private schools often accept teachers who have not passed the teacher certification exam, which means the quality may be lower. Some schools only accept certified teachers and pay more to keep them.

Class sizes are much smaller in private schools, and teachers are out of the classroom less frequently, so more teaching is done. Some privates schools participate in festivals and performances. Others don't. Some have excellent curriculums where students can learn. Others don't. With private schools, you really need to do your due diligence as a parent, and don't just put your kids into the first (or cheapest) school. If you fail to do your due diligence, your children will suffer the consequences. There are only a few really good private schools in the Cebu Metro area. Those schools won't ensure that your child will learn, but they will provide them with the opportunity.

#8 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 12,418 posts
  • 4966 thanks
  • 309 topics

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Any  recommendations of a private school near Basak Mandaue?

SHS Ateneo de Cebu is less than ten minutes from Basak Mandaue. Just take the Canduman road (Abellana). It's one of the best schools in the Cebu Metro area, and has nursery through high school. It is a large campus with good facilities and small class sizes.

Edited by Headshot, 11 August 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Porkchop

#9 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 12,418 posts
  • 4966 thanks
  • 309 topics

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Just wondering if there is more than one Science High School as we have a worker with a son in the Science High school here in Argao.

There are Science High Schools scattered around the Philippines. There could be another on Cebu, but I'm not aware of it.

#10 bahalina buong

bahalina buong
  • Elite Member
  • 176 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • 6 topics
  • Local time: 10:45 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, the public school system here is sub-par and inferior to even the lowest level private schools (I'm sure there are exceptions).  My wife worked in a private school just out of college before she even took the licensure exam.  Lousy job with high turnover, but she said even with all the inexperienced teachers it was a much better learning environment for the kids due to smaller class size, wider curriculum range, and more oversight from her supervisors. 

She teaches in public now, and would never consider sending our daughter there.  In fact, most of her co-teachers send their kids to private school.  At least the ones that don't have a dozen mouths to feed.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Porkchop

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name