• 1,268 posts
  • 368 thanks
  • 121 topics
  • Local time: 03:48 AM
  • Location:small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 02 May 2008 - 6:27 PM

I understand from the philpost website that a po box can be had for 540 php a year however they list no contact details for the cebu main post office in plaza independencia where I would like to get one. Does anyone know the email of this P.O. or have any information about getting a box there?

#2 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,045 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 6:49 PM

In the basement level of Sm, they are several places that rent mailboxes. In fact, there are many scattered around the city and run from 500 for 6 months to 800 for a year. I'd think they'd be better choices than a PO BOX at the post office.

#3 poby

poby

Born to be mild

• Sponsor
  • 1,268 posts
  • 368 thanks
  • 121 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 7:44 PM

In the basement level of Sm, they are several places that rent mailboxes. In fact, there are many scattered around the city and run from 500 for 6 months to 800 for a year. I'd think they'd be better choices than a PO BOX at the post office.

Thanks for that but my first choice remains a box at cebu main post office. Surely, it must be possible and someone here must have one?

#4 JoMads

JoMads
  • Elite
  • 375 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • 34 topics
  • Local time: 04:48 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 8:27 PM

Yes,

I have one.

PM me plz.

#5 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,045 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 8:42 PM

Thanks for that but my first choice remains a box at cebu main post office. Surely, it must be possible and someone here must have one?

Ok, I am going to bite. Why do you prefer at the main post office?

#6 poby

poby

Born to be mild

• Sponsor
  • 1,268 posts
  • 368 thanks
  • 121 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 9:16 PM

Ok, I am going to bite. Why do you prefer at the main post office?

Lots of reasons, none of them critical...

1. Location. It's in easy walking distance to the century hotel I usually stay at.

2. It's not likely to move or go bankrupt.

3. Reliability. The other places are probably 99.9% reliable but if mail can't make it to a P.O. box at the main post office then it won't make it to anywhere.

4. Price. Post Office boxes seem to be a little cheaper than the other options. According to the philpost website, the cost of a small lockbox is only 540php per year.

5. Security. I suspect a box at the Post Office might be slightly more secure.

6. All things being equal, I feel more comfortable using a government post office than a private outfit (despite my firmly capitalist soul)

There are probably other reasons too but these are what come to mind off the top of my head.

#7 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,045 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

Thanks, all good reasons. I've been debating getting a box for my mail, but I am leaning towards a private service since they can also get delivery from Fedex, LBC and the like. Thanks for giving me some points to ponder.

#8 poby

poby

Born to be mild

• Sponsor
  • 1,268 posts
  • 368 thanks
  • 121 topics

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Thanks, all good reasons. I've been debating getting a box for my mail, but I am leaning towards a private service since they can also get delivery from Fedex, LBC and the like. Thanks for giving me some points to ponder.

If you decide to get a box at cebu main po, let me know how it goes. I wont be there till beginning of june and if its not possible for some reason it would help to know so i dont waste my time. Just wish they had an email or website or someone here had experienced getting a box there.

#9 broden

broden

Fuhgeddaboudit

• +Forum Admin
  • 29,971 posts
  • 7436 thanks
  • 4,474 topics
  • Local time: 01:48 PM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

this seems to me the best reason to go outside the post office .. i don't know about anyone else here .. but i know if i really have to have something get to someone in the Philippines (and i mean the person i sent it to not just any person :D ) i sure don't trust it to the post office there

#10 tom_shor

tom_shor

Unreconstructed Smart Arse

• Elite
  • 6,163 posts
  • 743 thanks
  • 45 topics
  • Local time: 12:48 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 03 May 2008 - 4:27 AM

this seems to me the best reason to go outside the post office .. i don't know about anyone else here .. but i know if i really have to have something get to someone in the Philippines (and i mean the person i sent it to not just any person :D ) i sure don't trust it to the post office there

Especially since a while back the head of the Philippine post office said that the cause of pilferage was the result people sending expensive stuff and tempting the postal workers.

So if your stuff gets stolen it's your fault for shipping it. :) :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea