Comfy Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Filipinas with tattoos....socially acceptable?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#101 old biker

old biker
  • 131 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • 15 topics
  • Local time: 03:17 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

the old saying is "if you do not like looking at tatt's then don't look" or "if you do not have tatt's that is your choice but it is my choice to wear tatt's so shut the hell up"

now to the fine uppet crusted stiff lipped gentlemen who say that folks of low class wear tatt's !!! how about the tribal tatt's, many tribes in this world it is there culture, from the dark ages to modern day it is there culture,
would these fine cultered gentlemen be brave enought to say this face to face with a new zealand maroi warrior ??? i doubt it.
them bastards were frigging canabils a few years back, we do not hear the tatt haters critersizing the military persional who wear tatts do we now? i guess it is only low life's that lay down there life for there country while the clean skinned upper class sit back sipping on a cold glass of camels milk in there deck chairs chatting to each other how hard a war they are fighting !. i rest my case.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Ken Oath

#102 magtatu

magtatu
  • 30 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 02:17 PM
  • My Blood Type:B+
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Am a noob and still trying to learn how to reply to threads so please bear with me :)

@Spydoo re: "No good girls have tats, not in the Phils and not in the west"

As much as you are entitled to your own opinion. I'd like to say that this, in my opinion, is a hasty generalization - of women in general and not just in the Philippines. Yes, Filos are conservative but I have a lot of Filo friends that have tattoos and honestly,none of them are "bad" - at least I think so.

I have ONE ink on my back and I plan to get another one that's much larger on my hip - I'd like to think that am a good girl (most of the time). :) But how do you even justify "good"?

I have loads of Filo friends with ink(s) -- one of which works at an events company for more than 6 years now and has implemented big events like San Miguel Beer Oktoberfest and Red Horse Muziklaban to name a few. She is now happily married with a 2 year-old son. Another friend of mine with ink has been successful in her food business, went to law school and culinary school and has been recently appointed as the OIC in one of the departments at the Manila city hall. Both these women have not cheated on anybody, opened opportunities for other Filipinos to have jobs and have worked their asses off to get to where they are now.

Of course, we drink and we know how to party, but that doesn't mean we are bad women. But again, how do you justify "good"?

I think "bad" is a very broad, subjective term, to describe someone or something we don't like. But I wouldn't generalize women with ink (especially filos) to be bad if they have one.

Thank you AVAJEAN for the comment. It was nice to actually hear feedback from a female within this community regarding the thoughts of ink on Filipinas. I was glad to hear the response was positive and that it might not be such a "taboo" for women in the islands to have ink. I am sure that your upcoming tattoo on your hip will be even better than the one on your back. But, the first "ink" is always special......Thanks again.

#103 Ken Oath

Ken Oath
  • Sponsor
  • 627 posts
  • 200 thanks
  • 52 topics
  • My Blood Type:O-

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

what a load of old cobblers. you may be confusing class with money.

people with class dont have tatoos

people whose iqs dont require the use of i dont have tatoos.

it really is that simple.

Welcome to the 21st century, you can come out of your close minded cave now!

You have a very high IQ by the looks of it...... It's really that simple.

#104 austwin

austwin
  • Sponsor
  • 242 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • 5 topics
  • Local time: 05:17 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

But for those perfect, culturally elite icons that do throw stones, and that walk amongst us apparent illiterate, low class, "lowlifes" that enjoy body ink, I thank you for providing opine in this thread...even if I disagree with it. 

Your of course most welcome . :yahoo:

I think at the end of the day, I for very personal reasons absolutely don't like tattoos, whether on a Filipina an Australiana or whoever...My d*ckhead stepfather had more visable INK then visable skin and I made up mind at very young age I will never be like him in anyway.

My eldest son has six or seven tattoos as does my youngest daughter (I dont love my kids any less for it).

However I respect anybody's right to have them and in their opinion be very happy with them. Futhermore I would defend their right to have them and think the way they think about them.

In return I would wish the same respect as to how I feel about tattoos, I don't really like them (except for a small subtle one in the right place on the right body.."that is sultry") and I admit that sometimes I see them and wonder if the recipient one day will regret their INK because they are so permanent.

But providing nobody is being hurt ...I will always respect anothers right to think and do "in what my opinion is wrong" and ask them to respect my right to think and do in "what in their opinion is wrong". 

"Judge not that we be not Judged".......

Got to go now ..... taking my Filipina GF..... to get that subtle tattoo I was talking about. :snap:

• Ken Oath and old biker like this

#105 magtatu

magtatu
  • 30 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 02:17 PM
  • My Blood Type:B+
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Your of course most welcome . :yahoo:

I think at the end of the day, I for very personal reasons absolutely don't like tattoos, whether on a Filipina an Australiana or whoever...My d*ckhead stepfather had more visable INK then visable skin and I made up mind at very young age I will never be like him in anyway.

My eldest son has six or seven tattoos as does my youngest daughter (I dont love my kids any less for it).

However I respect anybody's right to have them and in their opinion be very happy with them. Futhermore I would defend their right to have them and think the way they think about them.

In return I would wish the same respect as to how I feel about tattoos, I don't really like them (except for a small subtle one in the right place on the right body.."that is sultry") and I admit that sometimes I see them and wonder if the recipient one day will regret their INK because they are so permanent.

But providing nobody is being hurt ...I will always respect anothers right to think and do "in what my opinion is wrong" and ask them to respect my right to think and do in "what in their opinion is wrong". 

"Judge not that we be not Judged".......

Got to go now ..... taking my Filipina GF..... to get that subtle tattoo I was talking about. :snap:

Thanks AUSTWIN for the comment. Like you, I agree that having ink is for each individual and their preferences. I do not think that a person having "ink" is any better, or worse, than a person who does not care for ink. Similarly, I do not discriminate against a person who does not like tattoos. Again it is a personal preference. Although there are many that served in the military that chose not to get tattoos, I was one of the individuals that did choose to get ink, while I was on active duty.

I completely respect you and your thoughts, and especially how your verbiage was positive, even though you yourself do not especially care for tattoos. My earlier comments were based on the responses made on this thread from UDONTHANI...who said "only lowlifes have tattoos". And the comment from SPERRY that said "people with class don't have tattoos". SPERRY also went on to imply that only people with lower IQs have tattoos. It was those comments that I thought were kind of out of place. Even if a person doesn't care for tattoos, you can still be civil and respond without verbally making blanket statements as they did.

I think I have learned quite a bit on the forum with this thread I started. Maybe this thread has ran its shelf-life. That of course will be up to the mods to decide. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
Ken Oath

#106 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 14,458 posts
  • 5252 thanks
  • 334 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

I do not think that a person having "ink" is any better, or worse, than a person who does not care for ink. Similarly, I do not discriminate against a person who does not like tattoos. Again it is a personal preference.  

I think that most of the members feel the same as you do on tattoos...whatever floats your boat. However, what you asked originally was "Is it socially acceptable?" Therefore. I believe that most members answered according to what they know of Philippines society. Of course, that is kind of like six blind men and an elephant. Very few people get a full view of Philippine society any more than any one blind man gets a full view of the elephant. That said, I think the answers here give you a pretty broad slice of the attitudes you can expect from various parts of Philippine society on the subject of tattoos. There are some groups where it's acceptable, but many where it is looked down on. It is probably more acceptable with the younger generation than with the older generations. For that reason, attitudes will probably change over time. I will go back through the topic and make sure no attacks were made. Sometimes some people get a little carried away with their own personal opinions.

Edited by Headshot, 27 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

• Ken Oath, Sven and old biker like this

If you don't know da rules, please read them.

If you do know da rules, please follow them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea