• 9,189 posts
  • 2988 thanks
  • 1,101 topics
  • Local time: 09:19 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

http://www.goldstard...bassy-help.html

BUTUAN City––A German engineer who was arrested here for alleged child trafficking and abuse has called on his embassy for help, saying the police have violated his rights and locked him up in a detention cell that was unfit for human beings.
Konrad Weber, 49, a mechanical engineer from Berlin, has been charged with child trafficking and child abuse.
Police said Weber was caught inside a room of Almont Inland Hotel and Convention Center along JC Aquino Ave. here last Friday with five children who were sleeping on a bed wearing nothing but briefs. They said Weber was emerging from a toilet when the police barged inside the hotel room.
Weber denied abusing the children even as he complained that the Butuan police locked him up in a dirty prison cell that reeked of human feces and urine. As a result, he said, he was not feeling well.
He also showed this paper his bruises. One was allegedly the result of being handcuffed tightly by the police.
Weber, who was renting an apartment in Gingoog City, said the arrest was illegal.
But Chief Insps. Reynante Sibayton and Marizan Liza Estrada, who led the arresting team, said a provision in the Child Abuse Act states that the mere presence of a minor inside a hotel room or a similar place with an adult who is not the relative or guardian is considered a crime.
They said a search warrant was not needed because at that time, a crime was in progress.
Police denied Weber’s claims that the German’s rights were violated.
Police seized from the hotel room a tablet, a laptop, a camera used by professionals, and a cellphone, among others. These were allegedly used in the alleged crime.
Police also said the children told investigators that they were abused.
The parents of the chldren who came in from Gingoog City later that the children were merely forced to make up a story against Weber.
“Mr. Weber is a good man,” said the parents, adding that the German was even helping in sending 10 children, including the five kids in the hotel room, to school.
Two teenagers also surfaced and claimed Weber was not into pedophilia.
There are reports that a prosecutor has decided to downgrade the charge against Weber.

#2 Dolsos

Dolsos
  • Elite Member
  • 970 posts
  • 190 thanks
  • 24 topics
  • Local time: 10:19 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I think that last line is pretty telling, if they truly had evidence they'd prosecute to the full extent.

Unless of course money has changed hands... bit creepy to have 5 kids in your room in underwear no matter what the circumstances are though.
  • JamesMusslewhite, For Real and Hy H like this

Thanked by 3 Members:
For Real , JamesMusslewhite , Paul

#3 A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

Once a night in shining armor

• Sponsor
  • 5,616 posts
  • 1418 thanks
  • 133 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

with five children who were sleeping on a bed wearing nothing but briefs.

They make the guy sound really bad. Perhaps he is, I don't know. I just know that kids I know sleep in their underwear and I have a hard time imagining abused kids sleeping at all. I guess they don't care what the reason is that the kids were sleeping there. I guess that doesn't sell newspapers. But if the kids and the parents and the guy are all saying he is innocent and is a good guy then someone should report why the kids were there.
  • Paul , For Real and Davaoeno like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
SkyMan , Davaoeno

#4 Guy60417

Guy60417
  • Elite Member
  • 967 posts
  • 160 thanks
  • 58 topics
  • My Blood Type:Don't know

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

My first, uninformed, guess on reading this is that the guy was not abusing them, based on that last sentence.

But even if he wasn't, being alone in a hotel with kids you're not related to is really, really, really stupid.
  • Paul , For Real, Bill H and 2 others like this

#5 Alan S

Alan S

The Closer

• +Forum Admin
  • 7,907 posts
  • 1987 thanks
  • 272 topics
  • Local time: 01:19 AM
  • Ham Call Sign:G8BLW
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I have no idea if the guy was guilty or innocent. And neither does anyone else here.

However, the points that I did note are,
Firstly, prisons in 3rd world countries are not like some people may expect "back home".
Secondly, dont expect the press to be on your side or even impatial.
Thirdly, the laws are clear, you CAN NOT be in the company of minors, no matter how innocent it might be.
Finally, if there is a suspicion that the allegations might be correct in such a crime, I doubt that the Embassy, and Embassy, will do anything to help.
  • Paul and For Real like this

#6 USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

You can't trust the internet

• +Global Mod
  • 9,189 posts
  • 2988 thanks
  • 1,101 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I do not know if he is guilty or not. I still find this situation a bit creepy. Lets see he has a home and takes the kids to a hotel. Why not his house. Just to creepy for me.
  • For Real and Bill H like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
SkyMan

#7 Woolf

Woolf

"To be or not to be"

• Sponsor
  • 3,415 posts
  • 1137 thanks
  • 155 topics

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I think that last line is pretty telling, if they truly had evidence they'd prosecute to the full extent.

Unless of course money has changed hands... bit creepy to have 5 kids in your room in underwear no matter what the circumstances are though.

Better read this:

http://www.chanroble...cactno7610.html

Sec. 10. Other Acts of Neglect, Abuse, Cruelty or Exploitation and Other Conditions Prejudicial to the Child's Development.

(b.) Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

Edited by Woolf, 14 January 2013 - 11:54 PM .

• thebob and ed villas like this

#8 Davaoeno

Davaoeno
  • DirtyKitchen
  • 16,389 posts
  • 5167 thanks
  • 197 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty

if he was only providing a place for them to sleep for the night for some reason [ especially with the consent of the parents ] then I would consider that to be the performance of a social duty and therefore totally legal [ if somewhat naive]
  • JamesMusslewhite, enoonmai and towboat72 like this

#9 Ozepete

Ozepete

Ozepete

• Sponsor
  • 1,561 posts
  • 1243 thanks
  • 107 topics
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

The camera and laptop should have hard evidence if this guy is guilty.
  • KID and For Real like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
SkyMan , KID

#10 Earnest N. Dever

Earnest N. Dever
  • Sponsor
  • 40 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • 2 topics
  • Local time: 05:19 PM
  • My Blood Type:Don't know
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 15 January 2013 - 1:43 AM

Simply put, foreigners should NEVER, EVER be alone with children who are not theirs in the P.I. under any circumstance.
  • Paul , KID, For Real and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea