David_LivinginTalisay

Living (& working) in China!

269 posts in this topic

I am glad this came up. When it comes to using Google Translate to translate something to / from Chinese, do you use Chinese (Simplified) or Chinese (Traditional)? Or, do you find that it matters much, which one you use?

Chinese simplified is the one in most common use today. You can even have Google translate pronounce (speak)

any of the words for you.

There is even a Google app for your phone that will translate and speak Chinese for you.

Pinyin is when Chinese characters are translated into our alphabet. For example 谢谢 means "thank you", but if you know

the Pinyin, you can just type in "xie xie", and Google will translate it into English or the Chinese characters.

"Beijing" is an example of Chinese characters being translated into Pinyin. "Bei" meaning North, and "jing" meaning capital,

or written in Chinese as 北京

Edited by donb2222
1 person likes this

Paul,I enjoy the School, the provided accommodation (Would be nicer if they built them with INSULATION! Can't see the point in having nice uPVC windows, with double glazed glass panels, when the concrete walls, and floors, ceilings, are all cold surfaces. It takes a long time getting a room comfortable from 0 Deg C, and uses a lot of energy as those cols concrete surfaces fighting back - CNY100/week Electric Power use!).in English.

Hi David, my apartment is the same as yours in that there is no insulation.

I have found that it is cheaper and much more comfortable to leave the heater (heat pump) running at a lower temperature

while I am gone, than to try to have it heat the apartment from 0 to 2 degrees C when I return home.

Maintaining a temperature is typically easier and cheaper than trying to achieve a drastic change in temperature.

I don't know how you guys do it. It has been years since I was in those cold of temperatures. I appreciate the input both of you have made here.

So if I get paid say CNY6,000...

Dang, that isn't as much as I thought it would be, though. That is just under $950 USD (~38,000 Php). Of course, I am not taking into consideration the actual hours you are working, and other package inclusions you may be receiving.

Paul,I enjoy the School, the provided accommodation (Would be nicer if they built them with INSULATION! Can't see the point in having nice uPVC windows, with double glazed glass panels, when the concrete walls, and floors, ceilings, are all cold surfaces. It takes a long time getting a room comfortable from 0 Deg C, and uses a lot of energy as those cols concrete surfaces fighting back - CNY100/week Electric Power use!).The students are nice and friendly and all from the youngsters of 4 years old can say in English.

--------- Truncated ---------

I get something important from this post. That is, no matter where you go in Asia, things do not change. I mean, one country will be more advanced and ahead of another. But, the "typical" Asian mentality doesn't seem to change, no matter which country you are in.

A friend of mine, one who has not visited this forum in some time, was teaching English in China. By the time he left to return to the states (a very dumb move on his part, I am pretty certain), he was earning about $4,000 USD per month. He had been teaching in China for some time. Paul T. is who I am talking about, here. I had tried to encourage him to start his own school there. I am quite sure he could have done it. Either way, he went back. I hope he gets his ass back in gear and heads back to China, though, as he was saving a ton of money, as you say you are, each month.

Apparently, there are a number of amenities that can be offered to the teachers, depending on the school, and the teachers' abilities and certifications.

The reason I originally asked you if you like it is, I feel that anyone who teaches students, especially if it is a room full of kids, should have the personality to enjoy it. Most certainly, they should like being around kids / teens. If not, I know the kids can sense that, and I am sure it will affect how well they learn.

Kudos to both of you who are teaching in China.

Edited by Paul

I am glad this came up. When it comes to using Google Translate to translate something to / from Chinese, do you use Chinese (Simplified) or Chinese (Traditional)? Or, do you find that it matters much, which one you use?

Paul,

Here is what you posted translated via Google into Chinese (Simplified):-

我很高了。涉及到使用谷歌翻到/西,

你用中文(简),中文(繁)?或者,

你发现它的大题,你使用哪一

And the same into Chinese (Traditional):-

我很高了。涉及到使用谷歌翻到/西,

你用中文(簡),中文(繁)?或者,

你發現它的大題,你使用哪一

As you can see comparing the Simplified with the Traditional, many Characters are the same in both!

Yet some are noticeably different between the Simplified and the Traditional

Compare the characters and tell me the answer:-

If you had to takes Notes in Class, which would you rather have to write/draw the Simplified Chinese or the Traditional?

Student are taught in Pinyin, these days, which is probably why the new generation of Chinese students, will learn quicker and better, that the older generation, that did not start or ever learn Pinyin at school.

Incidentally, here in Sichuan (at least), I am corrected for speaking the 'n' in Pinyin and in Mianyang! It is not altogether silent, but it must be the way the position their tongue and perhaps nasal, but when the 'locals' say it, there is not a distictive 'n' at all (but it is not Pi_yin or Mia_yang, there is a brief sound, just not an 'n' as we would say it.

Now here is how Google Translate works in reverse, pasting in what it said the Chinese is, and seeing how it reads back in English

I am very pleased. When it comes to use Google Translate to translate to / from something,

Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional) do you use? Or,

you find that it's a big problem, which you use?

Compare with what Paul actually posted:-

I am glad this came up. When it comes to using Google Translate to translate something to / from

Chinese, do you use Chinese (Simplified) or Chinese (Traditional)? Or,

do you find that it matters much, which one you use?

If you really want to rely on using Google Translate, you will get the 'gist' of the message/text. but there will sometimes be some hilarious results!

It also depends on the 'quality' and readability of the original; English text, one is translating,

No offense intended here Paul, but when translating from Chinese, it will be in Traditional or Simplified, so let Google Translate detect and decide.

The decision should be when you want English text, translated into Chinese. Is it better to select the Translation to Chinese Simplified or Traditional?

Even if you re-phrase, what you wanted to say, about converting English text into Chinese,

is it better to select Traditional or Simplified Chinese, for the end result?

即使你再短语,你想说什么,英文文本转换到中国,

它是更好的选择繁体或简体中文版,最终的结果呢?

Even if you re-phrase what you want to say to convert English text to Chinese

It is a better choice traditional or simplified Chinese version, the final result?

I think you might agree, Google Translate fared a little bit better, in the above Text, when inverting it back into English.

Yes there were some changes, but it 'reads' somewhat better, than the translation of what Paul posted.

TIP - Consider using this website for conversion of English into Chinese (of you want better, more accurate, results):-

bannerRelease1Version.png

Even if you re-phrase, what you wanted to say,

about converting English text into Chinese,

is it better to select Traditional

or Simplified Chinese, for the end result?

Instead of software trying to guess the correct Chinese Translation, for given context, it is YOU, the person wanting the translation, to select the most appropriate version.

ThePureLanguage.com - Translation.pdf

This is a print copy of ThePureLanguage.com Translation of the above text.

If you take a look at that, you will notice there may be 6 x Chinese translations of 'or' for example. It gives dictionary type definitions of each, and you decide which one might be the most appropriate (who better to know which one to choose, you or an algorithm?).

It might not be a lot better than Google Translate, and is certainly no where near as convenient and easy.

It does help one understand and learn which Chinese word is more appropriate however (hopefully?).

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
1 person likes this

Compare the characters and tell me the answer:-

If you had to takes Notes in Class, which would you rather have to write/draw the Simplified Chinese or the Traditional?

That's why I made it a point to ask, because I had no clue. But, based on your translations, I would certainly choose simplified. Either way, my Chinese is as good as my Yiddish.

David.. I must admit that I do respect your efforts to pay your bills in such an extraordinary way..

That said,would it not be better to use your original engineering qualifications to earn 10 times your present salary somewhere,lets say in in Europe like Germany, or the UK?

Surely..There has to be an easier way to earn a few bob!!

The mind boggles! lol.

1 person likes this

David.. I must admit that I do respect your efforts to pay your bills in such an extraordinary way..

That said,would it not be better to use your original engineering qualifications to earn 10 times your present salary somewhere,lets say in in Europe like Germany, or the UK?

Surely..There has to be an easier way to earn a few bob!!

The mind boggles! lol.

very true david your going through an awful lot of hassle for a small amount .If ya use ya brains you would go to the u.k find a job in a gas station 16 hours a week then claim family credit you would get double your chinese salary jack the job in 2 weeks later bugger off back to cebu the poles and everyone else are doing it just join the club lol .family credit is an on going benifit loads of europeans are doing it just don,t tell anyone your in cebu lol
1 person likes this

I'm glad to hear you have been teaching fo 4 years in China, and if you are working fewer classes for CNY5,000 a month, you must be content with that (but perhaps picking up between 200 and 250RMB an hour tutoring on the weekends for small classes of 4 or 5 students, to boost that income if required).

Originally the Contract with Sunny's English Club was on a Monthly basis, paying CNY5,500pm for fewer (and smaller) Classes. I was also told originally I would be teaching in Yibin, Sichuan. After arriving it got changed to Mianyang, (and the reason given for the change being the School thought I was too old!). Since the recruiter herself attended that School apparently, I would have thought she ought to know, if that school would accept a 57 year old British Teacher (or could have asked early on?).

Perhaps the truth is, the recruitment agency, could make more money, having me tech at this school in Mianyang with 24 Classes of 40 to 60 Students per Class.

The reason I suspect this, is because another member of Sunny's was telling me (after I learned I was moving to a different apartment and different School, from the 2nd one being offered), that this 3rd offering (current) was more Classes (24 per week) and bigger Classes (not so good), but increased pay of RMB75/Class.(that sounded good).

She later said she made a mistake, saying RMB75/Class, as the Contract was changed from monthly basis to pay per Class and was to be RMB65/Class.

Later we learned that the School actually pays Sunny RMB120/Class (but want to deduct for Classes not taught for any reason it seems, even if no prior notice given),

Here is my situation:-

Nationality: British

Degree: No Degree but do have City & Guilds of London Institute - Full Technological Certificate.

equivalent to
Bachelors Hon Degree

(as this required as academic qualification to qualify to being accepted as Professional
Incorporated Engineer
).

Teaching experience: Equipment Training Courses to Technicians (ESL in some countries)

- perhaps
2+ years Teaching/Training
total, out of 25+ years work experience.

6 Weeks ESL Teaching at English Winter Camp (AITIN WELTS Inc.) in 2012

4 months Teaching Junior 2 (Grade 8)

Teaching Certificate: None (currently)

To secure the better paying jobs, with fewer classes and less students per class, one need to hold a Teaching Certificate, and/or have at least 2 years ESL Teaching experience (preferably in China). It also helps if one is younger than age 57?

I can't do much about my age, but I can obtain a TEFL/TESOL Certificate.

After I finish in June, I would have completed a whole School Year, here in China.

In other words if I want to teach here in China for the following School year, I can, and will, demand higher pay, commensurate with my China experience (and holding a TEFL/TESOL Certificate by then).

But I would rather teach in Cebu to be with my wife and granddaughter.

Our Neighbors in this APARTMENT block on campus, is a 60 year old Australian, who is on 'accompanying spouse' Visa to his 53 year old wife who has a TESOL Certificate. Their 14 year old son is also with them and he attends Junior 1 Classes.

Now if Ana Katrina could pass an English assessment Test and do TESOL Course with HSC International.org (or another) and obtain TEFL/TESOL Ceritificate, and

Then perhaps we could both get accepted to teach at same school to kindergarten/primary children and Salome (Sha-Sha) accompany me (perhaps sing Nursery Rhymes and look after Anzhelica, who could attend the School).. we could live as a Family in such apartment and work at the School creating more income.

We could then rent out our house in Talisay and include the car for rent also, complete with Houseboy (rather than leave her brother, the houseboy, to look after the empty house whilst we are away teaching?).

Might be worth looking into, what does anyone think about that?

Oh, myself and Paul (the Brit Junior 1 Teacher, who shares this big 3 Bedroom apartment with me), both have jibs tomorrow from 1pm in The Peoples Park. They want us in our business suits playing the part of British business men, for some commercial.

Pay is RMB300 for just 1 hours work!

Perry Gamsby advertised for Foreigners in suits for BigFoot, filming in Cebu,many years ago.

I recall that paid very well also (for Cebu).

Cheers

David

(Living in Mianyang, Sichuan, China - for another 4 days, then 2 nights in Hong Kong then back to Cebu for a nicle long break with my Family