• Elite Member
  • 2,248 posts
  • 820 thanks
  • 129 topics
  • Local time: 09:47 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Talked to the LTO director in Talisay yesterday when I renewed my registration on my Innova. I asked about the surplus Honda Fit/Jazz vehicles being sold in Cebu. He told me point blank to stay away from them. Honda Motors Philippines has filed a protest and chances are good I would never be able to renew the registration. Might be something to consider before you buy one.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Fish Sandwich

#2 Alfred E. Neuman

Alfred E. Neuman

What me worry?

• Elite Member
  • 2,235 posts
  • 398 thanks
  • 51 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

small
unreliable
ugly
expensive
identity crisis
small
  • Justin Kredible likes this

#3 ancienrocka

ancienrocka
  • Elite Member
  • 908 posts
  • 366 thanks
  • 79 topics
  • My Blood Type:A-
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I had the same news from cebu LTO a few months ago - did post about it - but thanks for the confirmation as it was only a rumour then.

I was told the Jazz was OK but the Fit was the problem.
Posted Image

#4 For Real

For Real

Humble Pie

• Sponsor
  • 3,524 posts
  • 1344 thanks
  • 94 topics
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

What's the problem with the Fit (or the Jazz) that may stop renewals?
Posted Image

#5 CardiacKid

CardiacKid
  • Elite Member
  • 2,248 posts
  • 820 thanks
  • 129 topics

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Paul, I only included the Jazz as it is the same vehicle sold in the American market. Since the steering does not have to be changed they can be imported whole. The Fit comes from Japan chopped up and is reassembled here. Honda Motors Philippines must remember the Mitsubishi Pajero case a few years ago when a Mitsubishi dealer worked on a surplus Pajero that later crashed. The court held the dealer liable for not forcing the owner to repair the faulty work done by the converter. Mitsubishi then said they would no longer allow their dealers to work on surplus vehicles. Your post was what made me ask.

#6 CardiacKid

CardiacKid
  • Elite Member
  • 2,248 posts
  • 820 thanks
  • 129 topics

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

What's the problem with the Fit (or the Jazz) that may stop renewals?

The Fit is imported cut into pieces as used parts. The converter then reassembles the car and changes the steering over. The quality and safety of the car then depends solely on the skills of the converter. As these vehicles have a unibody and do not have a frame, they can break apart at any time due to faulty welds. Also, since these are relatively new vehicles, Honda Motors Philippines does not want bad publicity and perhaps legal liability if they break apart and kill or injure their occupants. IMHO they are unsafe.
  • For Real and Justin Kredible like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
Justin Kredible , For Real

#7 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,117 posts
  • 3881 thanks
  • 877 topics
  • Local time: 07:47 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

The Fit is imported cut into pieces as used parts. The converter then reassembles the car and changes the steering over. The quality and safety of the car then depends solely on the skills of the converter. As these vehicles have a unibody and do not have a frame, they can break apart at any time due to faulty welds. Also, since these are relatively new vehicles, Honda Motors Philippines does not want bad publicity and perhaps legal liability if they break apart and kill or injure their occupants. IMHO they are unsafe.

that would include ANY car done the same way i would think not just the honda but i would there there are well over one hundred thousand people employed all over in this type of work and the philippines should stand strong and say hey if it bothers you so much YOU buy them all up and then there will be none to convert once they leave your country its none of your concern //// I can see NIKE saying hey we dont want your fat people wearing our shoes its bad for our image

Edited by smokey, 03 October 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#8 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,517 posts
  • 1749 thanks
  • 178 topics
  • Local time: 01:47 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

The car dealers have been on this rampage for many years, nothing has come of it yet, and it is dubious whether it ever will. They do not want someone to be able to go and pay P300,000 for a car that looks good and is economical to drive, they want everyone to have to buy a NEW car.

Surplus vehicles are only as good as the person who puts them together. If the dealers had their way, there would be no surplus vehicles, at all. No delivery trucks, which would bring the cost of all goods up. No heavy equipment, which would bring up construction costs. No vehicles for anyone but the rich. That is the way the rich want it. Then only THEY can afford a car and a home...

I would not hesitate to buy a surplus vehicle (have done so before), it makes more sense to me than buying a new one and have it depreciate 30% when you drive it off the lot. Most new vehicles are worth little more than a surplus vehicle after 5 years.

So spend P800,000 if you want on a new car, and in 5 years it is worth P250,000. or, spend P300,000 on a good surplus unit, and in 5 years it is worth P200,000. Which would a sensible person who was not rich do?

Do you really think for a moment these dealers give a damn about your safety?

Larry in Dumaguete
  • thebob, For Real, RandyOdom and 2 others like this

Larry in Dumaguete

Pinay Visa

Thanked by 1 Member:
SkyMan

#9 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 05:47 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

I don;t think it has anything to dow with the vehicles but rather with the fact of changing steering in a non profssionla way. Why don't thry just leave the steering on the right side? This basically applies to all multicabs as well. Here in Canada we see those as well but the sterring stays on the right side.

#10 Woolf

Woolf

xxxooxxx

• Sponsor
  • 2,967 posts
  • 960 thanks
  • 130 topics
  • Local time: 10:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Cars with steering on the right side, can NOT be registered in the Philippines