JamesMusslewhite

Canadian Murdered in Surigao City (continued news updates relating to Harry Doyle murder case)

577 posts in this topic

I edited the article to enlarge the image. I am sorry that it was too small and unreadable when enlarged. I hope this is sufficient

enough for members to read.

15168686_10208505609497606_2889231617038

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
1 person likes this

Control (Ctrl) and the + sign at the same time will enlarge print or pictures or text.    That is in the land of the big PX, not sure about the PI's.    HTH  Jester

1 person likes this

Control (Ctrl) and the + sign at the same time will enlarge print or pictures or text.    That is in the land of the big PX, not sure about the PI's.    HTH  Jester

I tried that and it was still unreadable its all sorted now.

I tried that and it was still unreadable its all sorted now.

Hmmm, I do that fairly often and it works well?

1 person likes this

In what I am rather sure is unrelated to this case (fingers crossed) retired Surigao City Judge Canoy was brutally slain earlier today. He was the judge who presided over the Arnel Sidon shooting case (former driver of Harry and Jane Doyle) and was also the residing judge over the proceedings of the Harry Doyle murder case until he retired last year, It was his retiring from his bench post which brought the court hearing to a pause. Judge Canoy was murdered at 11:05am in front of Catulay Eatery, & VTALink Printing Services, Borja, Rizal earlier today. The information is still sketchy as to details but it seems the shooter was riding in tandom, some report the judge perhaps had stopped to eat at Catulay Eatery, and it is reported that he received four head wounds. I will update any new reliable information if it comes available. I hope the family and friends of Judge Canoy get justice for his murder and I send my condolences.

I also have heard last week that Atty. Zerda is now residing in parts unknown, presumably someplace in Manila. I do not know if Atty. Zerda will continue to be representing Jerome Devocion or if Jerome Devocion will need new council. There seems to be a lot of speculation as to why he choose to relocate and I also do not know if Atty. Zerda is continuing his law practice here in Surigao City and therefore will not comment any further as to reasoning. 

I was told a new judge has been appointed to the Surigao City courts but I currently have little new information to add as to when any new hearing dates will be scheduled so the case can resume, nor do I know at this time that if new hearing dates will be scheduled if Atty. Zerda will continue as legal council for suspect Jerome Devocion (driver/bodyguard) of Harry and Jane Doyle. If I learn of any new reliable information pertaining to this case I will update the thread.

This case just seems to get weirder and more weird.

3 people like this

Update:

Ex-RTC judge in Surigao shot to death
By
Roel Catoto-  

February 2, 2017

SURIGAO CITY (MindaNews / 2 Feb) – Still unidentified riding-in-tandem suspects shot to death a retired judge here shortly before noon Thursday.

Police identified the victim as Victor A. Canoy, 70, who retired as presiding judge of Regional Trial Court Judge Branch 29 in Surigao City.

Canoy was reportedly buying food at an eatery along Borja Street around 11:25 a.m. when a lone gunman hastily walked behind him and shot him at point-blank range.

Eyewitnesses told police investigators that Canoy crawled towards the suspect and was able to hold the feet of the gunman. But the latter shot him in the head several times, causing his instantaneous death.

Police reports quoted an eyewitness as saying that the pistol used had a long muzzle, which could be a silencer.

After killing the judge the gunman joined his accomplice, who was waiting on a motorcycle a few meters away from the crime scene, and fled, police said.

But the fleeing suspects were surprised by the presence of a police officer who was detailed at the junction of Borja and Kaimo Streets.

PO2 Hertenio Carduza Cubillan said he tried to stop the suspects but the gunman fired at him. Sensing imminent danger, Cubillan drew and shot back.

“I believed he was hit by a bullet on his back,” Cubillan claimed.

He said he could have open fired but a tricycle passed by, forcing him to hold his fire.

The suspects reportedly fled towards Kaskag in Barangay Washington.

The victim was rushed to the Caraga Regional Hospital but physicians said he was already died by the time his body reached the hospital.

Police said the victim succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds in the body and head.

As of press time, no suspects have been arrested yet in connection to the killing.

The police’s scene of the crime operatives (SOCO) recovered four empty 9mm shells and three live ammunition. (Roel N. Catoto / MindaNews)

http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2017/02/ex-rtc-judge-in-surigao-shot-to-death/

Borja and Kaimo Street

That's near the McDo in Surigao isn't it? Behind the lechon houses opposite the sports complex?

Quite a brazen attack at 11:25 am in a busy area.

This case just doesn't seem to want to go away quietly, does it?

But as you say:

In what I am rather sure is unrelated to this case

Highly doubtful we'll ever know for sure what was behind this latest murder.

Hey its 3rd world,3rd world crime just like Chicago now.......

1 person likes this

That's near the McDo in Surigao isn't it? Behind the lechon houses opposite the sports complex?

Quite a brazen attack at 11:25 am in a busy area.

This case just doesn't seem to want to go away quietly, does it?

But as you say:

Highly doubtful we'll ever know for sure what was behind this latest murder.

Borja St. dumps right into the main highway in front of the Sports Complex and Kaimo St. is one block over, so I believe your right. At that time of day that would still have been quite busy. The PNP officer mentioned in the article, according to the wording, may have fired at least one shot which he believes may have struck the shooter in the back as he was trying to flee the scene of the shooting. It sounded like he was going to fire more shots at the suspects but some tribike pulled into his align-of-site, so the opportunity was lost. If he did strike the shooter in the back there is a chance that the shooter will need medical treatment for that gunshot wound which will increase the chance of him possibly being identified and arrested. 

As the Doyle case is still ongoing and he retired which means a new judge will be presiding at the time of the judge's decision, I really seriously doubt this shooting has anything to do with the Doyle murder case. Witnesses said the pistol had an unusually long barrel and believed it to be a silencer, which suggest this was a professional hit. The fact this shooter put four rounds in his head suggest he was a seasoned professional. I really hope that he is captured alive so he can stand trial here in the Surigao City courts.    

No mention at all about motive...Kind of wonder if he was hard nosed like the president..I would not want the job of going through all his cases he ruled on...