singin ringer
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 08:26 PM
  • My Blood Type:Don't know
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 27 June 2012 - 9:19 AM

hi.I am planning to move tp PI in a few years and am planning to set up an aquaponics system.Small at start but if I can sell my produce (fish and vegies) then I would like to go commercial ,I dont want to make milions just live comfortably.Will it be possible to sell the produce at local markets?I have a small system here in OZ that I am learning from so I can get the bugs out before I go there (Cebu)Also how easy is it to find the components there EG tubs or tanks for fish (1,000 ltr plus)and grow beds for the veg even if I start with plastic 44 or 55 gal drums cut in half.Pumps and plumbing ,are solar pump systems available there ?.......Any info or feedback would be appreciated ..thanks

#2 Runian

Runian

lost in the graval

• Elite
  • 1,509 posts
  • 287 thanks
  • 152 topics
  • Local time: 11:26 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Been looking at this 4 a while .. first thing, you cant legally run an agro. biz in Ph as a foreigner. List a <-- this tells you what biz you cant run

I have found IBC tanks for sale online so this dude can supply fingerlings as well . For me this is way to costly so I will buy hollow block to build the
fish tank, then coco wood and tarps for grow beds and ask my local hardware store to get me gravel. 3 m3 of gravel cost about 1700 PHP where I live.
You can also use tarps for fish tanks, just build a coco lumber frame to hold up the walls, I have seen this in use and as long as no one play with sharp objects nearby it is ok.
Pumps u will find all over in hardware stores same with pipes and fittings. Cebu home builders is one.
oxygenation I'm thinking a small compressor and weeping hose if I can find or drill tiny holes in a pipe.

where I live the local marked have to travel a long way to get there produce, so we may be able to sell green leaves and stuffs to them (my GF will to keep it legal)
But mostly the greens will be used to supplement pigs feed......

Rune
  • dHb likes this

#3 KennyF

KennyF

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,007 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics
  • Local time: 06:26 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I think this would be a great hobby/pass time in a small scale.
Grow on a few tilapia, produce fresh greens.
Just being able to gift your neighbours would be a bonus.

You would also avoid the nematode problem too so I reckon you could grow more varieties.

KonGC

#4 singin ringer

singin ringer
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 08:26 PM
  • My Blood Type:Don't know

Posted 28 June 2012 - 8:34 AM

thanks Runian.I agree the tanks in the attchmnt are expensive.I have seen an inground fish tank made from hollow blocks and cement rendered on a website ,the water was pumped to the grow beds and returned by gravity.I think I will try this method as it only requires 1 pump.Are you building your system now or planning?

#5 KennyF

KennyF

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,007 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics

Posted 28 June 2012 - 9:05 AM

When breeding tropical fish in Singapore they will put the fry into a newly dug unlined pond as the infusoria and larger water fauna like daphnia are much denser.
This is for newly hatched tropical fish fry which tend to be tiny, not fingerlings.

KonGC

#6 mods168

mods168
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Ham Call Sign:mods

Posted 24 July 2012 - 7:18 AM

Guys, what fishes you can suggest to have a good system? I mixed carp and tilapia. Is this a good idea?

Some say better to use all tilapia? all carp?

Have my aquaponic drum for months now. its running quite well. I tried the hollow block thing, pvc construction thing, fiber glass diy "messy", but the ibc drum is the easiest of them all. I could say its the cheaper way also. Its just bought it here in cebu locally, this online guy selling it more than half price from the one in cavite.

I search for these drums for quite some time, they are ranged from 150$ to 400$. Its amazing, the cheapest one is just here in cebu!
The shop is located somewhere in the south, I forgot the name of the road.. But I have his number, hope this number still alive (0926-74-52-280).

Thanked by 1 Member:
Runian

#7 Runian

Runian

lost in the graval

• Elite
  • 1,509 posts
  • 287 thanks
  • 152 topics

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

thanks Runian.I agree the tanks in the attchmnt are expensive.I have seen an inground fish tank made from hollow blocks and cement rendered on a website ,the water was pumped to the grow beds and returned by gravity.I think I will try this method as it only requires 1 pump.Are you building your system now or planning?

I will start in the end of January as I am back in Norway ATM.

Guys, what fishes you can suggest to have a good system? I mixed carp and tilapia. Is this a good idea?

Some say better to use all tilapia? all carp?

Have my aquaponic drum for months now. its running quite well. I tried the hollow block thing, pvc construction thing, fiber glass diy "messy", but the ibc drum is the easiest of them all. I could say its the cheaper way also. Its just bought it here in cebu locally, this online guy selling it more than half price from the one in cavite.

I search for these drums for quite some time, they are ranged from 150$ to 400$. Its amazing, the cheapest one is just here in cebu!
The shop is located somewhere in the south, I forgot the name of the road.. But I have his number, hope this number still alive (0926-74-52-280).

I'd love to know what problems u had with your hollow block tank :) as I will have to lay out a slab of concrete anyway if I use IBC tanks, and then I have to buy 3-4 to get the volume of water I was thinking using. All this add's up in plumbing and pumping bot air and water.

Rune

#8 mods168

mods168
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • Ham Call Sign:mods

Posted 26 July 2012 - 3:11 PM

looking for a trusted masonry and carpentry is one problem. communicating with them is another problem. they will give you a face that they understand you, but at the end, they're doing it wrong.
not to mention in ordering of those raw mats (sand, gravel, cement, hollowblock, etc..).

well, here's my problem with my cement tank. after few weeks of using, i noticed there's some water leak. have to drain the water, fix the leak, then run the sysytem again. "waste of time and money". after the fix, then another leak on the other side. whew..
when I computed all the expenses, hollow block tank cost more. aside from the cost, the time I wasted.

while for ibc drum, in 1 day I can cut the drums and run the system by noon. forgot to mention that we can cut the drum into two equal size to save more cost. in 2 drums it can give 3 growbeds and 1 fish tank. spent less than 300$. :)

Edited by mods168, 26 July 2012 - 3:13 PM .

#9 Runian

Runian

lost in the graval

• Elite
  • 1,509 posts
  • 287 thanks
  • 152 topics

Posted 26 July 2012 - 6:40 PM

mods did u line your HB tank with tarp, pool liner or did u go with water proofing cement ?

how to make a tank and grow beds :

#10 KennyF

KennyF

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,007 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics

Posted 27 July 2012 - 7:13 PM

Fish and Rice, together at last.
This article in the Phnom Penh Post might be of interest to you guys.

KonGC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea