Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Marawi

Our oldest just entered Mindanao State University on the main campus in Marawi.

Looks like a nice campus and we'll be heading there often.

Wondering if any of you all have experience in that area and have ideas about to where to stay, what to do, and eat there.

Cheers.

So did you end up going down there? Care to share?

where do they think they are

mexico

You will find villages that still speak Spanish throughout the region. Chavacanao or known as Zambongueno is a Spanish-based creole language spoken mainly in the southern province of Zamboanga. Chavacano became the main language in the Zamboanga City and in some areas of the Zamboanga Penensula. Visayan has over 6,000 Spanish words. So I guess the answer to your question could be "yes".

• Like 1

Hay Boss, if you need a travel buddy I will be more than happy to travel down there with you Chief. I'm in the city and easy to reach, plus I have some free time on my hands now that crops are in the ground...

You will find villages that still speak Spanish throughout the region. Chavacanao or known as Zambongueno is a Spanish-based creole language spoken mainly in the southern province of Zamboanga. Chavacano became the main language in the Zamboanga City and in some areas of the Zamboanga Penensula. Visayan has over 6,000 Spanish words. So I guess the answer to your question could be "yes".

many years ago i still met people speaking Spanish all over the Philippines, nowadays very rarely

Chavacano is the main language in the southern and eastern part of the Zamboanga Peninsula ,

people also understand it in Basilan, Jolo and Tawi Tawi .

in Marawi they speak Maranao , not Chavacano

Chavacano and Spanish are different languages, not really mutually intelligible, and a Spanish person will not understand Chavacano, just like that, anymore than a Dutch person will understand the only other European language to haver evolved outside Europe, Afrikaans, in South Africa. It takes time for them to get the hang of it. Also Chavacano language is not confined only to Zamboanga or Mindanao, but is also spoken in Cavite, birthplace of the Filipino revolution. A native Chavacano speaker from Zamboanga will be able to converse with a Chavacano speaker from Cavite, but not a native Spanish speaker from Madrid.

Y. Visayan has over 6,000 Spanish words.

so friggin' what. What has that got to do with anything. I'm not sure how many French words are in use in the English language, but it's plenty more than that - probably 50,000, not a tiny 6,000. That doesn't mean an English person can speak French, anymore than a Filipino whose first language is Tagalog, Visaya, or even Chavacano can speak Spanish - they can't, and they don't.