Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Marawi

Our oldest just entered Mindanao State University on the main campus in Marawi.

Looks like a nice campus and we'll be heading there often.

Wondering if any of you all have experience in that area and have ideas about to where to stay, what to do, and eat there.

Cheers.

Edited by BossHog

I had never heard of Marawi until you brought it up. There is quite a bit of information on the Internet about the campus, the town and the province. It looks like a beautiful place for the most part. Of course, it is in a predominantly Muslim area, hence the official name of Marawi is The Islamic City of Marawi. I take it that you must live fairly close to there, or you probably never would consider sending your child to school there (I thought you lived on Siargao). I would also assume that you are comfortable with him being in a predominantly Muslim area, so as long as you are good with that, then all is good (make sure he doesn't tell anybody his father is a pig :biggrin_01: ). The big lake on the south side of town (Lake Lanao) looks very interesting. Do you know what kinds of fish are in it? That could make for some fun. Also, it sounds like Sacred Mountain National Park might be a good place to explore. I don't find a lot of places to stay there. Of the two places listed in Trip Advisor, one has no information or reviews and the other is actually in Iligan City, 17 miles away.

Although I have never been to marawi, I have heard it is the best place to go to buy Philippine ARTS and Handicrafts. Also if you want to buy a fake Rolex or Omega, then Marawi is the place. I would have no hestitation in going there, even though it is in a predominantly "Musliim" area.

Ask Daisy I believe her daughter was enrolled there.

Marawi has a great campus and is in a wonderful part of the country. The 'peace dividend', if it ever comes, would probably see this as a first choice place for further education, it is a truly beautiful area.

Our home is on Siargao and it is a long haul to Marawi. About a day's journey.

I take it that you must live fairly close to there, or you probably never would consider sending your child to school there (I thought you lived on Siargao)

We're committed to the development of this part of the country would like our child to be part of this.

I appreciate any concrete knowledge on this topic.

• Like 2

Wondering if any of you all have experience in that area and have ideas about to where to stay, what to do, and eat there.

There is an Ayala Resort Hotel at MSU. It has a nice view of Lake Lanao. There are christians in Marawi and most MSU instructors are christians. Just remind your son not to get involve with a Muslim girl. Maranaos are very jealous with their women. Eleven Iranian students were killed in the 70's by Maranaos because of the Iranians' involvement with local girls. However, under pressure by the Iranian government, everyone involved in the killing were also killed by fellow Maranaos as repayment.

My knowledge of Marawi is dated, however. I was last there in the 70's as a guest of then Marawi Mayor Omar Dianalan and Stanford-educated and MSU President, Dr. Mauyag Tamano.

• Like 1

Appreciate the feedback guys.

I'm well aware of MSU being in a Muslim area and am happy for our kiddo to meet people from different backgrounds.

We have a niece who is entering her junior year there and has expanded her horizons considerably.

Will probably make our first trip there next month.

The big lake on the south side of town (Lake Lanao) looks very interesting

Yes, that lake looks interesting, And huge! It shows up on my globe.

The University is isolated from Marawi proper. Marawi is a scary place, it's like being in Yemen. Took two hours to find a taxi in Iligan City as all of them were scared. The guy that finally agreed, took the taxi sign off his roof. Must have passed 20 checkpoints. I've been through Tondo and other socalled ghettos, and none creeped my out like Marawi.

My dos centavos.

• Like 1

It turns out that most of the college kids go to Iligan for their big city needs.

Marawi's looking like a bit of a challenge.

Would be good to have boots on the ground information but that might be a longshot

just never forget there isn't a single Filipino metropolitan area, even in Mindanao, where Muslims form anything like a majority. The most is General Santos City, at about 35%.

of course some villages, and even gated areas in the cities, are overwhelmingly Muslim. That's Mindanao. There's Muslims in Mindanao, but not many. Less than 15% of them all.