Doromaner
  • 139 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • 42 topics
  • Local time: 09:27 PM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 29 April 2012 - 9:53 AM

What is life like living on Camiguin? I always hear how it is virtually crime free. What is the hospital in Mambajao like for emergencies? What are are land prices like?

#2 Paul

Paul

Culture Shock

• +Founder
  • 34,510 posts
  • 7741 thanks
  • 4,058 topics
  • Local time: 07:27 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

If I had a dire medical emergency, I would not visit ANY rural, provincial hospital, in ANY province that I have visited in the Philippines.

With that said, Camiguin Island is full of all sorts of things to do, yet is a very laid back island. There are hot springs, cold springs, even soda springs. There is seismology station on the mountain you can go up to visit. There are water falls to see, as well, on the island.

There is Mt. Hibok-Hibok, which erupted as recently as 1951, and the only active volcano on the island. (There are seven all in all.)

As far as land prices go, I have no idea. Tom Solski's wife, Brigida, may be able to give you an idea. Google "Brigida Solski" or "Brigita Solski Real Estate". That should get you in the ball park. I am sure she has a website.

#3 KennyF

KennyF

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,012 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics
  • Local time: 11:27 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

>>> What is life like living on Camiguin?
Great, it's cooler and quieter than most.
Everyone will know your name by day two.

>>> I always hear how it is virtually crime free.
What keeps the local cops busy is domestic disputes.

>>> What is the hospital in Mambajao like for emergencies?
It's the only hospital that can even come close to having an ER.
It's very cheap. Private room is around $20.
But equipment wise it's not so good.
Getting out of Camiguin is not easy or fast i case of heart attack or similar.
Tom Solski from Secret Cove bought them a defibrillator a few years back, I guess it still works.

>>> What are are land prices like?
Fecking ridiculous. Nothing else to say.

All in all, not a bad place for a visit but you wouldn't want to settle down there.
Don't go there for the beaches though.
What beaches they have are mostly black gravel.

I spent a few years there but like most expats, that was enough and I left for pastures greener.
(Sihanookville in Cambodia)

KonGC

#4 J n J

J n J

Banned

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  • 85 thanks
  • 19 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Camiguin Island is NO DOUBT A PARADISE.
IT IS VIRTUALLY CRIME FREE!
If you have an emergency and have to go to the hospital,say,for a heart attack,you will probably just die.
THE LAND PRICES ARE COMICAL.........I really can not fathom how real estate prices are figured out here.Camiguin is a place that has not much to offer as far as the modern world goes,(and that is what is soooooo alluring about it.I LOVE CAMIGUIN ISLAND for what it does not have i.e.,no traffic jams except during holidays,hardly any jeepneys,no crime,friendly locals,no garbage on most of the beaches)BUT,there are NO EMPLOYMENT/BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES,and yet the prices for real estate are astounding.Everything I looked at was 'beyond over-priced' and shoddily built,I just laughed when I heard the prices.
All business's are locked up tight by a few families and the only ex-pats in biz are restaurants,hotels(B&B's)owned by Aussies and Europeans.
I agree with the guy above who is going to Cambodia,CAMIGUIN ISLAND IS A GREAT PLACE,PARADISE IN FACT.but it was not enough to get me to stay long term.
HERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWERS TO:
A)CAMIGUIN iSLAND is surrounded by a salt-water sea,it has no lakes,resevoirs,rivers and no de-salinization facilities.SO, where do they get the fresh water from(it is deliciously drinkable)?
B)When on the beach on CAMIGUIN ISLAND there a millions of rocks all over the beach,most the size of a human fist.Where did they all come from?
CAMIGUIN ISLAND IS MY THIRD FAVORITE PLACE IN THE PHILIPPINES.Palawan and Sirigao Island being No.s 1+2.

#5 KennyF

KennyF

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

• Opal Sponsor
  • 6,012 posts
  • 1534 thanks
  • 258 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

>>> HERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWERS TO:
>>> A)CAMIGUIN iSLAND is surrounded by a salt-water sea,it has no lakes,resevoirs,rivers and no de-salinization facilities.SO, where do they get the fresh water from(it is deliciously drinkable)?

There is at least one huge lake up high in the volcano caldera that help keep fresh water springs running all year round. Also keeps the various waterfalls falling too.
I wouldn't mind betting that there is an underground passage from high areas in Mindanao too because an awful lot of water flows down Camiguin's dozens of creeks year round.
Water was free until 6 to 10 years ago when meters were put in.
There is a small water treatment plant just out of Mambajao on the street next to Mabini street.

B)When on the beach on CAMIGUIN ISLAND there a millions of rocks all over the beach,most the size of a human fist.Where did they all come from?

It's not just the beaches that sport rocks. All of Camiguin is covered in volcanic boulders from pea to bus size.
Just traveling along the highway you will see rocks bigger than a car. (Near Rocky Village especially)

KonGC

#6 J n J

J n J

Banned

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  • 85 thanks
  • 19 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

All of Camiguin

Since you took the time to answer a question that most locals there do not know the answer to,here goes.The water comes from clouds that are passing over the worlds tallest small island.The cloud water makes up most of what is in the lake up top by the volcano,mostly.I was not aware of the place on Mabini st. and who knows how much of the water supply they are responsible for.Also the aquifer underneath the volcano,according to what the guy at the PHILVOCS station told me,is a natural de-salinizer although I found that one a li'l off somehow,it could be though.There is never a water shortage there,and that was a question that puzzled me for a few months till I saw some huge clouds breaking-up as they went passed the volcano's.
The other question is,YOU ARE CORRECT SIR,from volcanic eruptions.Can you imagine what a bad day it was when all those rocks on the beach came crashing down from about 2 miles up after the volcano burped 'em out?A bad day on Camiguin for sure.Rocks that were Lava-hot too! I heard it happened in 1875,or so and that was what caused the Cemetary to be submerged as well.So Congratulations sir,maybe I can buy you a drink if I see ya over there in Sihanoukville one of these days(that was you who mentioned it,yes?).I think imma have to head that way.Stable currency,no garbage on the beaches etc,etc,etc......

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea