• Sponsor
  • 881 posts
  • 237 thanks
  • 15 topics
  • Local time: 01:58 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 29 March 2012 - 9:23 AM

I wanted to add to this thread but, unfortunately, it's locked probably because it's old. I purchased our wedding rings yesterday at the aforementioned Gold Creations in SM and was very impressed with both the products offered and the personal service of the owner, Ramon. He made a couple of beautiful custom rings (comfort fit) and worked with me to stay within my budget. I recommend the store and, as others have said, ask to speak directly with the owner since he's not always in the store.

Thanked by 1 Member:
johnormoc

#2 BadDog

BadDog

always learning here

• 155 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • 13 topics
  • Local time: 09:58 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 29 March 2012 - 6:17 PM

talking about this subject, how do Filipino girls view getting engaged? I have already told my girlfriend I want to marry her but on the phone as she is not with me due to work commitments. She has told me her dream would be together with me forever., we both are madly in love but have only spent a little time together although have known each other for 4 months and talk on the phone everyday. I'm going to visit her in her city soon and I would like to buy her an engagement ring. What are your thoughts on having her pick it out? or does this kill the whole "will you marry me thing" ... some ideas and feedback would be good! I never intended to get married to a girl here and I have had 3 other relationships but I have no doubts with this girl, totally 100% sure that she is the one I want to be with for the rest of my life.

Edited by BadDog, 29 March 2012 - 6:19 PM .

#3 Siuk

Siuk

Bollocks

• Elite Member
  • 2,677 posts
  • 709 thanks
  • 88 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate

Posted 29 March 2012 - 7:23 PM

I surprised Marielyn on Christmas day with a handful of silly joke gifts one after the other, last one being a barbie doll. In the box was a ring. She went from laughing to suddenly quiet and tearful with joy. The surprise made her christmas. The ring was only a cheapo one, it was the best I could find in Carcar, but we went to buy better one's soon after christmas.

I think you've already killed the surprise by talking about getting married. When I first met Marielyn I made it clear I was in no rush to get married and needed to live with someone 24/7 for a fairly long time before I would even consider it. She had the same mind as me and never talked or hinted about it like so many other Filipina's have and would have. After six months of living together and being with each other 24/7, peas in a pod and best friends, I knew she was worthy of the words (first time I've felt that way in my entire life).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how can you be sure if you have not spent that much time together?
  • Topper likes this

Ian you menacing little weasel.

Thanked by 1 Member:
BadDog

#4 NRG

NRG
  • 65 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • My Blood Type:B+

Posted 29 March 2012 - 9:01 PM

BadDog I bite so dont test me..... I agree with Siuk its all too soon to talk about engagement and marriage to a girl you only met 4 months ago and have hardly met mate, i am happy that you feel this girl is for you 100% and you are MADLY in love with each other already. But i would suggest you meet and live with each other for sometime before you make that type of commitment, this is not the western world where you can get married one day and get divorced the next day, once your married here your married for good under Philippines law. I was with my girlfriend 24/7 for over two years before we decided to tie the knot, take your time and see how things work out, talking on the phone and emailing each other is a totally different thing from actually living together 24/7 as most ex-pats here with wifes will confirm
  • m60man and Ken Oath like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
BadDog

#5 NRG

NRG
  • 65 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • My Blood Type:B+

Posted 29 March 2012 - 9:20 PM

And sorry to the original OP for high jacking your post mate,

Thanked by 1 Member:
BadDog

#6 johnormoc

johnormoc

Jeepney Driver

• Sponsor
  • 492 posts
  • 368 thanks
  • 38 topics
  • Local time: 02:58 PM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 29 March 2012 - 9:38 PM

Thanks enoonmai for the OP.

As to BadDog (love the handle btw) I'd also recommend going slowly. No need to rush in unless you have some medical condition and only have 6 months to live. lol. My one piece of advise would be to NOT get a platinum or white gold ring. I got my wife a platinum ring with a nice diamond and she was thrilled beyond measure but she told me everywhere she goes, the locals all make comments about how she is so unfortunate that her husband only bought her a silver ring.

Locals love to compare and seem to enjoy putting others down for any trivial reason they can find. My wife knows what platinum is and how much I paid for it but the people she deals with on a daily basis seem to take joy in condemning her ring as being silver and cheap. They simply don't know what platinum is. My wife is cool with it all and told me she wouldn't change it for the world but if I had it to do over again I would have gotten her 18K yellow gold instead.

Thanked by 2 Members:
enoonmai , BadDog

#7 razorbackhog2

razorbackhog2
  • Elite Member
  • 179 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • 6 topics
  • Local time: 11:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I let my wife pick hers out from rings online in the states....showed her many expensive rings that were platinum or white gold but of course she had to have yellow gold.

#8 BadDog

BadDog

always learning here

• 155 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • 13 topics
  • Local time: 09:58 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

OK thanks guys, I will certainly think about all this but the truth is this girl is something out of this world beleive me and I have dated many beautiful girls over my 40 odd years. I know I would be saying the same thing as you guys but this girls is everything I dreamed of and more. ;) I would marry her without a question. It all comes down to if I might blow it and she is not ready if I propose but she has indicated she is as keen as me. I dont want to blow it, propose and she says she is not sure or needs more time :) as you only get one chance I guess....

Edited by BadDog, 29 March 2012 - 11:20 PM .

#9 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 15,194 posts
  • 5390 thanks
  • 336 topics

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I let my wife pick hers out from rings online in the states....showed her many expensive rings that were platinum or white gold but of course she had to have yellow gold.

One type of rings you should efinitely stay away from here in the Philippines is two-toned rings (white and yellow gold in the same ring). You will find that they are actually yellow gold with the white gold electroplated onto the ring. Unfortunately, they apply the white gold in such a thin layer that after about a year...all of the white gold will be gone...and you will have yellow gold rings. That is especially true if you wash your hands with your rings on. Liquid soap seems to have some component that is murder on plated gold, and will wear it away quickly. Just find some yellow gold rings that both of you are happy with, and you will both be happier in the long run.

Edited by Headshot, 29 March 2012 - 11:51 PM .

• Bonjon likes this

If you don't know da rules, please read them.

If you do know da rules, please follow them.

Thanked by 1 Member:
BadDog

#10 Siuk

Siuk

Bollocks

• Elite Member
  • 2,677 posts
  • 709 thanks
  • 88 topics

Posted 30 March 2012 - 4:20 AM

OK thanks guys, I will certainly think about all this but the truth is this girl is something out of this world beleive me and I have dated many beautiful girls over my 40 odd years. I know I would be saying the same thing as you guys but this girls is everything I dreamed of and more. :biggrin_01: I would marry her without a question. It all comes down to if I might blow it and she is not ready if I propose but she has indicated she is as keen as me. I dont want to blow it, propose and she says she is not sure or needs more time :) as you only get one chance I guess....

I hope you are right for your sake. I still don't see why the rush, you are still together regardless, just without that piece of paper. If she really loved you she would not mind a wait, and like you said, what if she isn't quite ready for the question?

Even though I'm engaged now we're still not getting married until April 2013, when my entire family will fly over for 10 days. Can't wait to see my dads luminous white legs.

Thanked by 1 Member:
BadDog

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea