Salvatore
  • Inactive Member
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 06:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hello,

My name is Salvatore from North Carolina, United States. I have been frequenting Butuan City in the Philippines to see my girlfriend. I will be back around Feb. 1'st. I would like to purchase a condo or home for us. No problem putting it in her name.

My main question is what area do you recommend to buy. I like quiet and safe areas with reliable high speed ADSL and electricity. As long as it's cheap and safe I would rather not be near a crowded city. Not too far from a nice white sand beach would be a plus. Sorry for the question but I only am familiar with Butuan City so any advice would be really helpful.

The condo or home can be very small. One or two bedrooms at most. I do need some things I am used to in the states per below:

1. High speed ADSL in the unit. For my work, very important.

2. Reliable electricity. If allot of brownouts hopefully some type of generator.

3. Air Con

4. Safe and secure area for Americans.

5. Quiet area so I can sleep. No roosters, chickens or barking dogs hopefully.

6. Very clean and bug free. New would be best.

7. "Separate" shower with hot water.

Please advise if this is possible at all.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed your New Years, Salvatore

#2 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 4,379 posts
  • 806 thanks
  • 730 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hello,

My name is Salvatore from North Carolina, United States. I have been frequenting Butuan City in the Philippines to see my girlfriend. I will be back around Feb. 1'st. I would like to purchase a condo or home for us. No problem putting it in her name.

My main question is what area do you recommend to buy. I like quiet and safe areas with reliable high speed ADSL and electricity. As long as it's cheap and safe I would rather not be near a crowded city. Not too far from a nice white sand beach would be a plus. Sorry for the question but I only am familiar with Butuan City so any advice would be really helpful.
The condo or home can be very small. One or two bedrooms at most. I do need some things I am used to in the states per below:

2. Reliable electricity. If allot of brownouts hopefully some type of generator.

3. Air Con

Hi Salvatore, my name is Lee and my wife is a Filipina and we live in Florida part of the year and Cebu City part of the year and we hope to retire to Cebu fully in a few years.

I think maybe you are not really talking about the Philippines when you ask for some of those things. :wink:

I have found that condos are located in cities and I have yet to find one outside the bigger cities, but I have not been everywhere in the Philippines so I hope someone else responds with a better answer, so to be outside you would have to buy a house and that would have to be in her name, and as for roosters and dogs, they are everywhere in the Philippines and homes are built near condos, so there is no getting away from them totally unless maybe in a high end subdivisions, but in our condo which is in the city, when the doors and windows are closed and the A/C is on, we cannot hear them. It also helps if you get a higher floor to minimize noise. One thing I would highly recommend is that you visit whatever you are interested in buying late at night as well as during the day because loud music, roosters and dogs happen more often at night.

As for bugs, they too seem to be everywhere and where there is food, garbage and garbage chutes, there will be bugs and all you can do to keep them out of your unit is to spray all the possible entrances on a regular basis, as we do and then if you find one it is dead and I also spray the garbage chute in the building if you are in a condo, once a week.

As for reliable power, Cebu city is pretty good, but no matter where you end up, I would recommend a UPS in front of your computer and modem etc. and that you use a laptop which has its own battery in case power goes out, because power does go out once in a while even in the city and it also flickers many times a month.

As for beaches, Cebu has some beautiful beaches which are just a short drive from the city or you could get a condo near the beach in Mactan island, but those would be pretty expensive compared to one that is in the city. Anyway, just to give you and idea of prices, a two bedroom unit in the condo we live it can run about 3 million pesos and we looked at a studio on Mactan and it was 6 million, but I did not look at everything that might be available nowadays and houses seem to be lower in price, so I do not know about all the prices, but I can tell you that the prices in Cebu or Ceboom as many call it, seem to be going up almost every couple of months.

If you decide that you change your mind and would not mind a big city, then you are welcome to PM me and I would be happy to supply you with a couple of web sites that I found online while surfing that would give you more information about units in this building and some others condos in Cebu and I could also give you the contact information of the agent I bought our units from who is a nice young man who only sells or rents units in our buildings so he probably could not help you if you want to look at other properties. If you have time, please read some of the comments I and others have made under Condos on the main page so you can get a better idea of what you might expect and understand that everyone has opinions and a lot of foreigners who live in the Philippines hate condos and also seem to hate Koreans and if you think that you may be one of those types then you will need to buy in a high end condo or home to try to stay away from them.

As for putting it in her name, that is not a great idea in my opinion and if you buy a condo, then you can have it in your own name or in both your names, but be advised that she would get priority should you two marry or live together and then separate and have it in both names, because from what I understand, the Philippines takes care of their own and that is as it should be in my opinion, so think long and hard about that decision until you know your lady totally. My wife and I have been married 13 years and our condos are in both our names, but I have heard of many relationships that do not work out in the end and some unforeseen deaths can happen as well God forbid, and then her family would get your property and not you, so just to be safe, think ahead and protect yourself.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Lee

#3 Salvatore

Salvatore
  • Inactive Member
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 4 topics

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Thanks very much for your detailed reply Mr. Lee.

Does anybody think I might be better off in another location with my requirements like Makati area, etc?

Thanks again, Salvatore

#4 ckfm

ckfm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,004 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • 65 topics
  • Local time: 03:25 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

Thanks very much for your detailed reply Mr. Lee.

Does anybody think I might be better off in another location with my requirements like Makati area, etc?
Thanks again, Salvatore

Makati and Cebu City are not cheap places to live.

#5 surething1

surething1
  • Inactive Member
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 5 topics

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

CDO is a possibility. But I think whats best for u considering what u told us, is DAVAO.

I say look into Davao.

#6 carmelo

carmelo
  • Inactive Member
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

CDO is a possibility. But I think whats best for u considering what u told us, is DAVAO.

I say look into Davao.

Davao is run like Martial Law... :rolleyes:

is it true that it is not allowed to smoke in public places..even on the streets sidewalks?

my brother leaves in Davao..but he doesn't smoke..i do...

Edited by carmelo, 03 January 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#7 retired

retired

retired

• Elite Member
  • 671 posts
  • 46 thanks
  • 93 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I say look into Davao.

Living in CDO i do not know of any condos but there are a few areas where nice western style houses are available and several americans live in those areas . It would all depend upon what you want to pay for sure but the island of Mindano is less expensive than Luzon or Cebu i think most would agree . Be aware howeever that 2 of my pet peeves in this city are the lousy cable service and the lousy bb . Unfortunately the cable computer hookup is through the lousy cable company . :rolleyes: Service is only available in areas like the ones forementioned so if you decide to look here go to parasat cable first and have them tell you where they offer the highest level service if you require it for business . I have an american friend that runs an on-line business & he uses ALL options available because one or the other usually is unrealiable . As for power problems , worse here than Cebu . Most of the lines here run out of the mtns.. need i say more . Anyway , good luck .

By the way my name is Alan & i am from Charlotte also .

#8 Pete

Pete
  • Inactive Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 5 topics
  • Local time: 12:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:09 AM

Hello,

3. Air Con

Your requirements will be very difficult to find anywhere in Phils. The more "Americanized" you live, the higher the cost of living becomes. If you are truely seeking the above, you may have to look into a place like Singapore.

All of your needs would be met and you are still close enough to Koh Samui/Phuket beaches and a short plane ride to Phils to visit her relaltives.

#9 Hell Boy

Hell Boy

To Hell And Back

• +Founder
  • 31,324 posts
  • 6913 thanks
  • 3,876 topics
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

I live north of Cebu, about 100 kilometers, or 62 miles. My internet is much more reliable than I thought it would be. I rent (no desire to own) a large home here. (Follow the link in my signature, "Costs To Live In Cebu Province"). You have most of the conveniences that one has in the cities, without the pollution, population and traffic. Additionally, it is more quite than city life too.

We have more brownouts than the city, without question. But, I have two generators available to me here, which solve that issue quite nicely. I also run UPS backups, providing temporary power to the network while switching between main and auxiliary power.

The one thing I see in your post which will be difficult to resolve, is item number 5. Getting away from the sound of roosters crowing in this country, well, that is almost impossible. Personally, I love waking up to roosters crowing.

Regarding a safe area for Americans, I have yet to visit an area in this country, which I feel isn't safe.

#10 nutkenz

nutkenz
  • Inactive Member
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • 1 topics

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

I say look into Davao.

Davao is run like Martial Law... :lol:

is it true that it is not allowed to smoke in public places..even on the streets sidewalks?

my brother leaves in Davao..but he doesn't smoke..i do...

Is this true?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea