Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Mike

Breaking up that long plane ride from the US

43 posts in this topic

I am starting to plan my trip to the RP, and I have decided I will break it up into smaller segments if possible. I am 6'4" so I will be flying business class. I guess I would depart from LAX or SFO. Maybe stop in Hawaii for a night, then on from there. I realize there are not many options because the Pacific still has to be crossed regardless. Maybe departing from the east coast , heading east would do the trick! Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions?

Thanks..

Edited by Mr. Mike

no help here but enjoy the trip... and never believe anyone that tells you it's all about the journey.. it's all about getting there

1 person likes this

Oh man, business class!

I would rather get it over with in 1 flight if possible, though I'm a "short" 6'0".

SFO or LAX to Hawaii is not that long a segment either.

But, sometimes Hawaiian air has specials from SFO to Manila, with a ~20 hr layover in Honolulu, or at least they did last year when I was looking. It was the layover that made me reject that plan, but might fit for your plan?

Edited by AB2000

How about taking Cathay Pacific and spend a couple of nights in Hong Kong? It would break up the trip and the flight from Hong Kong to Cebu is in the morning so you arrive in Cebu before noon. Also, Cathay is now offering a Premium Economy class that might be cheaper than Business while still having a wider seat and more leg room. As a Tin Can sailor you might remember Hong Kong very differently from what it is now.

1 person likes this

Personally, Business class is so good on the right airline, to stop is a waste of time and money. You can fly out of Las Vegas on Philippine Air, which stops in Vancouver and on to Manila. Then go on to Cebu. I would try that

I usually go out of LA on Cathay Pacific ( great airline!) and the 16 hours in Business Class to Hong Kong goes fast and is comfortable. Then you can go direct from HK to Manila or Cebu. ( You can leave LA late say Friday and get to HK Sunday morning.very easy)

When you get on you eat, then sleep, then eat about 3 hours out. You will enjoy it and I'm 6 foot tall. no leg problems.

2 people like this

How about taking Cathay Pacific and spend a couple of nights in Hong Kong? It would break up the trip and the flight from Hong Kong to Cebu is in the morning so you arrive in Cebu before noon. Also, Cathay is now offering a Premium Economy class that might be cheaper than Business while still having a wider seat and more leg room. As a Tin Can sailor you might remember Hong Kong very differently from what it is now.

Yah, I could care less about the free drinks, it's all about the leg and butt room. Thanks

Personally, Business class is so good on the right airline, to stop is a waste of time and money. You can fly out of Las Vegas on Philippine Air, which stops in Vancouver and on to Manila. Then go on to Cebu. I would try that

I usually go out of LA on Cathay Pacific ( great airline!) and the 16 hours in Business Class to Hong Kong goes fast and is comfortable. Then you can go direct from HK to Manila or Cebu. ( You can leave LA late say Friday and get to HK Sunday morning.very easy)

When you get on you eat, then sleep, then eat about 3 hours out. You will enjoy it and I'm 6 foot tall. no leg problems.

Thank you, good information. I would hit the "thanks" button but I don't see one when replying to you...that's odd

Thank you, good information. I would hit the "thanks" button but I don't see one when replying to you...that's odd

try a refresh. cause i see a thanks button for him

1 person likes this

I like going from Seattle or Vancouver to Incheon South Korea. 2 to 3 hour layover for a hot shower and a good meal and a massage and then Incheon to Manila or Cebu.

1 person likes this

From one tin can sailor to another... If you are flying out from the east coast Mike, try stopping in Denver Colorado where Topper will meet you at the airport and buy you a drink and supply you with some friendly chit chat.

1 person likes this