54guy
  • 69 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 19 topics
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

Ok, my girlfriend in Cebu is looking for a new job... and she says an agency told her about one. So she went for the first interview, passed that one OK and was told to bring money back to pay for a ticket to fly to Manilla for the second interview and testing there, for a job with an electronics company in Taiwan.

I warned her she had better buy her ticket herself...not give it to another person like that. Is that a normal procedure for in Phil? Or...a scam to get money for "plane tickets"?

But she was told to pay her money to a company representative. :notallthere:

She also told me that this company is only interviewing females to work in their Taiwan factory, they will be paying something like 27,0000 pesos salary...and providing housing., Does it sound too good to be true? Could it be one of those "sex slave" scams I have heard about??

My girl is very trusting, and thinks I am worried for nothing..but am I?

#2 Mattfromnz

Mattfromnz
  • Elite Member
  • 406 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • 13 topics
  • Local time: 09:53 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

I can understand your concern!
Have you googled the company to find more info? I dont think it's unheard of to ask for the applicant to go to Manila, but as you said, why would they insist paying on the applicants behalf? Sounds dodgey.

With the salary, is that 270,000 a year? If it is a month, it is too good to be true. I know a lady that has worked in electronics in Taiwan for several years and earns about 45000 peso a month. Still better than what she would earn in the Phils.

I would investigate further. Good luck!

#3 Faluango

Faluango
  • Banned
  • 760 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • 53 topics
  • Local time: 10:53 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

I have been to Taiwan and there are indeed many Filipinas working there in electronic factories.

#4 gasturbine

gasturbine
  • 65 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • 11 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Yes it is probably is a sex slave scam. Saying girls only need apply is a sure tip off. Paying air fair to the company is also a tip off. She had beter think twice or she may end up working on her back. Obviousl question to ask is why no boys are being recurited smells very fishy and dangerous.

Dave

#5 Alfred E. Neuman

Alfred E. Neuman

What me worry?

• Elite Member
  • 2,235 posts
  • 398 thanks
  • 51 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

No upfront money to be given for those needing employees.
  • Cipro and lazydays like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
enoonmai

#6 Headshot

Headshot

My Wife's Teddy Bear

• +Global Mod
  • 14,585 posts
  • 5269 thanks
  • 334 topics

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yes it is probably is a sex slave scam. Saying girls only need apply is a sure tip off. Paying air fair to the company is also a tip off. She had beter think twice or she may end up working on her back. Obviousl question to ask is why no boys are being recurited smells very fishy and dangerous.

Dave

I don't know. Have you ever been in an electronics factory? It is almost 100% women working on the assembly lines. Something about finger dexterity and attention to detail. 27,000 a month actually sounds feasable for an OFW assembly job (I take it the OP just put an extra zero in the number). I would question the airfare thing though. I see no reason why the applicant can't buy their own ticket to get to Manila...and if the company is legit...I can't seeing them having a problem with that is the applicant suggested it. She can just tell them she will be in Manila anyway and that all she needs is the address for the interview. Some companies may just want to take care of transportation because they have a lot of applicants going to Manila and they want to keep things consistent. However, if an applicant is Manila anyway, that shouldn't present a problem.

I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not a recruiter is running a scam from the information given, but I will ask the OP one question. Does your girlfriend have the money for the trip to Manila or is she asking you to cover it? If the answer is that you are paying for it and she insists that you must send her the money rather than just purchasing her an e-ticket, then I would say this is definitely a scam...but not necessarily being run by a recruiter. That probably isn't something the OP wants to hear.

Edited by Headshot, 25 February 2012 - 08:50 AM.

• Cipro, JamesMusslewhite, lazydays and 2 others like this

If you don't know da rules, please read them.

If you do know da rules, please follow them.

#7 A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

Once a night in shining armor

• Sponsor
  • 5,406 posts
  • 1369 thanks
  • 132 topics

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Illegal recruiting scams are big business. The first thing to find out is whether the company is licensed as a recruiter. Here are 2 links to get you started in your research:

All About Illegal recruitment (POEA site)

Current Scam info (POEA site)
  • lazydays, Topper, For Real and 1 other like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
fanboat

#8 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,117 posts
  • 3881 thanks
  • 877 topics
  • Local time: 07:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I don't know. Have you ever been in an electronics factory? It is almost 100% women working on the assembly lines. Something about finger dexterity and attention to detail. 27,000 a month actually sounds feasable for an OFW assembly job (I take it the OP just put an extra zero in the number). I would question the airfare thing though. I see no reason why the applicant can't buy their own ticket to get to Manila...and if the company is legit...I can't seeing them having a problem with that is the applicant suggested it. She can just tell them she will be in Manila anyway and that all she needs is the address for the interview. Some companies may just want to take care of transportation because they have a lot of applicants going to Manila and they want to keep things consistent. However, if an applicant is Manila anyway, that shouldn't present a problem.

I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not a recruiter is running a scam from the information given, but I will ask the OP one question. Does your girlfriend have the money for the trip to Manila or is she asking you to cover it? If the answer is that you are paying for it and she insists that you must send her the money rather than just purchasing her an e-ticket, then I would say this is definitely a scam...but not necessarily being run by a recruiter. That probably isn't something the OP wants to hear.

the pay sounds fair but on the high side i am sure to entice the people its the ok your hired and now you owe US this much that will be the real sign of things to come.. My daughter was going to see about a job in canada and the recruiter wanted 250,000 up front and then it would take about a year of so... and if hired the other end wanted a contract for so many years at a reduced pay for thier end

#9 smokey

smokey
  • Elite Member
  • 23,117 posts
  • 3881 thanks
  • 877 topics
  • Local time: 07:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

maybe the GF is trying to get the guy to as they say ... shit or get off the pot.. if she gets the job she will be gone and she knows this so maybe she is thinking he will say... but honey we will not be together if you take that job maybe we should get married ??
  • A_Simple_Man, ArieBombarie and lazydays like this

#10 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,517 posts
  • 1749 thanks
  • 178 topics
  • Local time: 01:53 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes, I definitely smell something, I'm just not sure where the smell is coming from.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.pointmancebu.com
  • lazydays and whiskers like this

Larry in Dumaguete

Pinay Visa

Thanked by 1 Member:
DAVAOENO

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea