Comfy Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Do you feel safe when traveling on Philippine airline carriers?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you feel safe when traveling on Philippine airline carriers? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel safe when traveling on Philippine airline carriers?

1. Yes, perfectly safe. (28 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Yes, but I do wonder about the strange noises coming from the aircraft sometimes. (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

3. Yes, but I always seem to be thinking about aircraft maintenance. (12 votes [24.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.49%

4. No, I need Xanax to get my heart out of my throat. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No, I kiss the ground when I get off the plane. (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

6. No, I refuse to fly on them and would rather take my chances on a ferry. (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

Vote

#21 Ricky

Ricky

Mariner, Aviator, Adventurer

• Sponsor
  • 651 posts
  • 214 thanks
  • 43 topics
  • Local time: 09:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Essentially the risk overall remains less then that of being run over crossing the road. Admittedly, I flown jumpseat a few times in the Philippines as they aren't so anal about security, and the last Zest Air flight I took on the A320 made me think I'd rather not see what goes on. No checklists, a very bad and to be frank inept First Officer who after majorly screwing up the approach, had it recovered by the Captain and handed back to him for him to totally screw up the landing. This was followed by a massive shouting match on the flightdeck, to which I just sat in silence until I could eventually escape. I'm a qualified pilot, although have never flown commercially despite that being my original intention and career choice after leaving school, but it's enough knowledge to know how bad things were.

Although, to be honest, I'd choose flying over the Philippine ferries anytime. The standards on the ferries are massively below par, and they have one of the worst accident rates in the world for any maritime fleet. I know Officers who used to work on the ferries and they wouldn't go near them, and had some pretty scary stories.
  • jme likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Experienced

#22 afmayer

afmayer

afmayer

• Sponsor
  • 1,919 posts
  • 536 thanks
  • 39 topics
  • Local time: 07:07 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Although, to be honest, I'd choose flying over the Philippine ferries anytime. The standards on the ferries are massively below par, and they have one of the worst accident rates in the world for any maritime fleet. I know Officers who used to work on the ferries and they wouldn't go near them, and had some pretty scary stories.

Yeah ... but at least on the ferries you have some say in your fate by being able to swim for your life.

#23 miles-high

miles-high
  • Sponsor
  • 3,653 posts
  • 708 thanks
  • 467 topics
  • Local time: 07:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

The standards on the ferries are massively below par, and they have one of the worst accident rates in the world for any maritime fleet.

When I took a ferry from Sorsogon to Samar several months ago, I was invited to the “cockpit” and honestly there are several chickens running around there…

The visibility was low but the only navigation equipment they had was a Garmin hand-held GPS. It is a good equipment and nothing wrong with that but no backup and you are carrying hundreds of people and some cars including mine…

I was then wondering if those chickens were for crew meals… :rofl:

#24 afmayer

afmayer

afmayer

• Sponsor
  • 1,919 posts
  • 536 thanks
  • 39 topics
  • Local time: 07:07 AM
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

I was then wondering if those chickens were for crew meals…

Probably for cock fights to be held after-hours ...

#25 abw

abw
  • Sponsor
  • 651 posts
  • 243 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Local time: 09:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Wouldn't I feel like a fool if I chose Qantas for no other reason than they're "the world's safest airline" (or used to be) and I was looking at the ground speeding towards me as the plane speared in. People are so frightened of dying but still drive cars way too fast and happily life a life of self-indulgent obesity, but bloody-well panic when it comes to planes... makes no sense to me.

What does make sense is that I can get on a PAL plane in my home town, land in Manila, change planes without changing terminals (or even having to step out into that particular hell-hole), have my baggage automatically forwarded, and arrive on Mindanao fresh and stress free.

This year we flew Qantas and Cebu Pacific for a change. Normally we use PAL all the way. And yes, it's hugely convenient coming home, checking in all the way through to Sydney at Bacolod/Silay Airport. No collecting bags and checking in at Manila. Just get off the plane from Bacolod, and walk upstairs. And terminal 2 is nice and uncrowded, unlike terminal 1.
  • Jess Bartone likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Jesse

#26 For Real

For Real

Humble Pie

• Sponsor
  • 3,521 posts
  • 1344 thanks
  • 94 topics

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

I feel safe when i fly wearing a condom
Posted Image

#27 broden

broden

Fuhgeddaboudit

• +Forum Admin
  • 28,164 posts
  • 6599 thanks
  • 4,077 topics
  • Local time: 06:07 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

I feel safe when i fly wearing a condom

http://gizmodo.com/5...uture-airplanes

Cessna Begins Research On "Magic Skin" Condom for Future Airplanes

Posted ImageSometime in the future, perhaps 2030-2035, you or your spawn will be spirited across the skies in airplanes that are wrapped in a magic, protective condom.
The reason for this sensitive sheath will be to better protect the craft from lightning strikes and electromagnetic interference, the latter of which will be handy for all the nuclear war business that's surely befouling our offspring at that time. Officially called STAR-C2, the $1.9 million skin project is being researched by Cessna for NASA's 2030-2035 future of flight program.
Better still—and timely, given what happened to that recent open air Southwest flight—the skin will present obvious visible cues whenever it has become damaged. I'd like to imagine that in these cases bold words appear, like magic ink, informing engineers that "bad shit happened here" or "FIX NOW" or something equally obvious.
Beyond damage control, the skin would theoretically contain temperature sensors, accelerometers and other motion sensors. It would truly be a "smart skin" for a truly advanced, safer aircraft.
  • Kahuna likes this

With a cheery smile and a wave of his hand he wandered off to an unknown land.

Not all those who wander are lost.

#28 thebob

thebob

The one and only.

• VIP
  • 10,092 posts
  • 2506 thanks
  • 338 topics
  • Local time: 08:07 PM
  • My Blood Type:AB+
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

I think it is airplanes not airlines…

I hear comments re “noise” all the time from the Airbus flight crew and passengers alike… It seems either Airbus engineers don’t care or they don’t have expert acoustic engineers at their finishing (interior) facility…

Just compare Boeings and Airbuses noise and you will “hear” the difference…

Hmmmm, if you come to think of it, all those “noisy” rock groups come from England… :D

That is really peculiar. I'm convinced it is the other way round. The Airbus always seem smoother and quieter to me. I always thought that the Boeings were military spec or something so they didn't care about the noise.

#29 jme

jme
  • Elite Member
  • 883 posts
  • 200 thanks
  • 49 topics
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

.... Admittedly, I flown jumpseat a few times in the Philippines as they aren't so anal about security, and the last Zest Air flight I took on the A320 made me think I'd rather not see what goes on. No checklists, a very bad and to be frank inept First Officer who after majorly screwing up the approach, had it recovered by the Captain and handed back to him for him to totally screw up the landing. This was followed by a massive shouting match on the flightdeck, to which I just sat in silence until I could eventually escape.

Great story, very scary and sometimes life is better the less you know huh ;)

#30 miles-high

miles-high
  • Sponsor
  • 3,653 posts
  • 708 thanks
  • 467 topics
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

That is really peculiar. I'm convinced it is the other way round. The Airbus always seem smoother and quieter to me. I always thought that the Boeings were military spec or something so they didn't care about the noise.

http://www.livinginc...a6/page__st__10

;)

Sound level or noise level is the area that is very subjective… a person may not hear above or below certain frequency spectrum while others are “bothered” by, for example, a high-pitch noise…

Exterior noise is a part of airplane certification and all meets the standards set by their respective regulatory agencies. However, the interior noise depends on each airline (to a certain extent) as to how much noise absorbing materials used (more and you get less “revenue” weight) and other factors such as the make and model of engines (noise absorbing materials for the fan shrouds, engine syncing computers, etc.).

For “private” Airbuses or Boeings (I am only referring to A319/320/321 or B737NG family of airplanes), we measure the interior noise levels using the dB meters and my understanding is that, for the Airbuses, there are certain electro/mechanical noise the interior designers cannot silence well (please "hear" the video clip above), short of “replacing” certain components. That would require recertification and cost millions of dollars which no one would be willing to pay…

I have no knowledge of other Airbus or Boeing airplanes but again it depends on their interior design and I am sure depending on where you are seated would make a huge difference. I would imagine a big airplane like Airbus A380, if you sit away from the engines and away from the sauce of aerodynamic noise (fuselage, windows), it would be very quiet…

and perhaps you could hear a pin drop... :D

Edited by miles-high, 21 December 2011 - 02:05 AM.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea