19 replies to this topic

#1 mikesaw

mikesaw
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • 45 topics
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

Assuming my wife and I already have the land, and that it doesn't need clearing, back-filling, leveling, etc, what can we build for $20,000 USD? Security (from break-ins) and insulation from the heat would be concerns, but size and style aren't too important. I would do as much of the work as possible, though I am not a master craftsman (but am pretty handy with simple construction, wiring, plumbing, landscaping, etc).

Block, framed, dome, shipping containers, nipa, etc. are all possible, and of course they each have advantages and disadvantages. Which way should I go? Your thoughts please...........................

#2 A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

Once a night in shining armor

• Sponsor
  • 5,614 posts
  • 1418 thanks
  • 133 topics
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 23 September 2011 - 2:25 PM

A good place to start would be to look at what this guy did for a bit less than that. (The link is to part 8 but you can easily find 1 through 7 with a bit of searching)
  • Headshot and Ozepete like this

Thanked by 3 Members:
Zamora , ILPI , Ozepete

#3 Zamora

Zamora

Mr. T

• Banned
  • 417 posts
  • 79 thanks
  • 22 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 23 September 2011 - 3:56 PM

If your handy and smart you can build something very nice.

Edited by Zamora, 23 September 2011 - 4:03 PM .

#4 Davaoeno

Davaoeno
  • DirtyKitchen
  • 16,389 posts
  • 5157 thanks
  • 197 topics

Posted 23 September 2011 - 5:11 PM

70 sq meters, 2 bedrooms, 1 CR

steel roof, ceramic tiles, plywood and pvc doors, $19,600 usd Price does not include grills,fence and custom door

Attached Thumbnails

• tn_022.jpg
  • 025.jpg
  • 7771721018.jpg

Edited by davaolife, 23 September 2011 - 5:13 PM .

• tobster and Zamora like this

Thanked by 3 Members:
klmar63 , tobster , fanboat

#5 raissah

raissah
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • 1 topics
  • Local time: 06:49 AM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Ham Call Sign:Ph

Posted 23 September 2011 - 5:23 PM

you can still build a house on that budget..but if you want a house that you can consider a mid class..you can adjust a little on your budget..:shitstormretarded:

#6 billy

billy
  • Sponsor
  • 830 posts
  • 127 thanks
  • 83 topics

Posted 23 September 2011 - 6:03 PM

i'll bet for 20,000 you could build a 100 sq. meter house here in cebu you can get laborers for 180 per day. some even work for 120

Edited by billy, 23 September 2011 - 6:27 PM .

#7 billy

billy
  • Sponsor
  • 830 posts
  • 127 thanks
  • 83 topics

Posted 23 September 2011 - 6:03 PM

sounds like your on the right track

Edited by billy, 23 September 2011 - 6:19 PM .

#8 shadow

shadow

Play that funky music

• Elite Member
  • 4,760 posts
  • 1845 thanks
  • 190 topics
  • Local time: 02:49 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 6:16 PM

Never mind the snide comments, you can still build a pretty nice modest house for $20,000. Talk to people in your area who have built recently, as a lot of local information can be gleaned from them, such as best places to buy materials, and how much to pay for help, where to get it, etc.

Larry in Dumaguete

#9 billy

billy
  • Sponsor
  • 830 posts
  • 127 thanks
  • 83 topics

Posted 23 September 2011 - 6:17 PM

Assuming my wife and I already have the land, and that it doesn't need clearing, back-filling, leveling, etc, what can we build for $20,000 USD? Security (from break-ins) and insulation from the heat would be concerns, but size and style aren't too important. I would do as much of the work as possible, though I am not a master craftsman (but am pretty handy with simple construction, wiring, plumbing, landscaping, etc).

Block, framed, dome, shipping containers, nipa, etc. are all possible, and of course they each have advantages and disadvantages. Which way should I go? Your thoughts please...........................

assuming i was broke could i build a cardboard house? how much would that cost?
  • RandyOdom likes this

#10 David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay
  • Elite Member
  • 5,074 posts
  • 1285 thanks
  • 496 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 23 September 2011 - 6:38 PM

For a basic house construction, but good quality, solid and secure, use Php10,000 per sq m, as an estimate.

Since you have stated a budget of US$20,000 (with the current FOREX Rate of usdphp=x of 43.885) gives Php877,700

Call this Php800,000, and this suggests a House of perhaps only 80 sq m?

The House/Lot my wife bought in Lawa-an 1, Talisay City, nearly 12 years ago was Php630,000 for a 30 sq m 'Bungalow' House on a 120 sq m lot. (The house was constructed with 4 concrete cast steel reinforced walls. a small concrete CR, and 2 x bedrooms with wood stud partiton walls and a ply ceiling)

I added a 3 storey 'extension, adding another 106sq m of floor space and terraces, and this cost Php1.16M
It was tiled floors, fully tiled bathroom, lots of quality Pansonic electric outlets (3 pole with earth), sliding aluminium windiwsm pation doors with flyscreens, and large fitted kitchen.

Check our 'Our House' in my Gallery to see what we got for just over Php10K per sq m

DutchPickle stated:-

I was planning on spending 3,500 USD but the final cost will be closer to <strong>7,500 USD</strong>. The lot was less than 100 USD and the ownership is not secure, but it should be ok for up there in the mountains. Doing things this way is not a good idea if you are trying to make an investment – this house is basically a gift and I accept that.

DutchPickle ended up spending more than double his original estimate. I am sure if he repeated the project, it would be more than $10,000 now.

However it is not very big house - perhaps 8m x 4m = 32 sq m? (Our original 'Bungalow'[ was 5m wide x 6m deep)

Posted Image

Posted Image

How to build a concrete block house</strong> in the Philippines

Here are the steps for building a modest block house in the mountains in the Philippines.

I plan to follow the construction of this concrete block house from beginning to completion and will outline the basic process.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay, 23 September 2011 - 8:40 PM .

Thanked by 1 Member:
fanboat

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea